NTSC/PAL Charger Compatibility

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by JimmyMcNulty, Mar 30, 2012.

Mar 30, 2012
    • Newcomer

JimmyMcNulty New Member

Message Count:
    I own a NTSC 3DS.

Soon, I will own a PAL 3DS.

Will I be able to charge the PAL 3DS on the NTSC 3DS dock/charger? Will I need to buy an adapter? If so, where do I get one for >$20?

Thanks!

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Message Count:
    Brazil
    Correction: My 3DS charger is 110v only (I buy my 3DS on USA).
    1 people like this.
    • Reporter

Tom Bombadildo IF ONLY I COULD BE SO GROSSLY INCANDESCENT

Message Count:
    United States
    I...believe NTSC chargers have a higher voltage than the PAL chargers, am I correct in saying so? If so, you would need to get a PAL charger for your 3DS I think...As for finding one, just check around on Ebay or Amazon, I'm sure they have them there.
    • Newcomer

JimmyMcNulty New Member

Message Count:
    The PAL 3DS comes with a wall charger, but I think Europe has different wall prongs. Where should I buy a converter? And what voltage should it be...? Thanks!
    • Reporter

Tom Bombadildo IF ONLY I COULD BE SO GROSSLY INCANDESCENT

Message Count:
    United States
    Ah, was slightly confused on your post, figured the 3DS didn't come with an adapter...well, according to lokomelo the NTSC charger should work on the PAL.
    1 people like this.
    • Newcomer

JimmyMcNulty New Member

Message Count:
    Neither 3DS' have converters. Sorry- let me specify everything to make sure:

NTSC 3DS I bought new, in store. It comes with a dock and charger that plugs into USA wall plugs.

PAL 3DS I bought used. It comes with a European wall plug, but no dock. I can't plug this into a USA wall, because the prongs are made for European walls.

I live in the US. I'm hoping I can just put the Euro/PAL 3DS on my NTSC docking charger. Would that work?

Appreciate the help, guys.
    • Global Moderator

Sicklyboy Not Falco

Message Count:
    United States
    As long as a EUR and USA 3DS take the same amount of voltage to charge, which I would have to assume they do, then yes. All the dock is is a pass-through for the wires. More or less the same thing as sticking some bare wires into the 3DS charger adapter and touching them to the right contacts on the system itself.
    1 people like this.
    • Newcomer

Kayou New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    You are able to charge your European/Australian 3DS with the charger that came with your NTSC 3DS, all 3DS require the same input voltage. I'd be careful about trying to use a European charger in the US because if you end up with a low-quality or plain faulty adapter, there's a good chance you'll have fried your 3DS in seconds. If you want to be on the safe side you'll want to use a charger that is meant for the country your reside in and you'll be fine.

Source: I charge my American 3DS with a charger meant for a European DSi/3DS.
    1 people like this.
    • Newcomer

JimmyMcNulty New Member

Message Count:
    Fantasitic news, guys! Thank you all.

I'd imagine all 3DS' are made the same, which would probably mean they'd demand the same voltage...

-if it needs an adapter, I'll be sure to come by and ask you guys as to which one to buy. (Hopefully it won't!) Wouldn't want to burn out the 3DS, Kayou!
    -Soon to enjoy One Piece Unlimlited Cruise SP. Awesome!

Janthran Solarian

Message Count:
    United States
    Remember, if it burns up you can just send it to Nintendo.

YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    I have 2 Japanese 3DS's, 1 European 3DS, and 1 UK Charger.
    I can confirm, it all works!
    UK Chargers have the same voltage as European Chargers, but they have a different form factor.

I'm always charging all of my 3 3DS's, using the UK Charger.
    To use the UK Charger, I'm using a UK to EU plug, which I've got from Play-Asia for free, as a part of the Goodie Pack, at the Japanese launch of the 3DS.

Why? Because US and JP Chargers just don't work.
    They won't burn, they just don't turn on.

I'm charging my PS Vita with my Japanese Charger, which magically works on European grounds.
    • Newcomer

JimmyMcNulty New Member

Message Count:
    Alright, so after careful inspection, I've discovered specifics.

Remember, I live in the US.

The NTSC charger lists the input voltage as 110v. Output voltage is 4.6v.
    From what I've read online, the PAL charger list the input voltage as 220v.

Knowing that information, is it definitely possible to charge a PAL 3DS on a NTSC 3DS charger?
    • Global Moderator

Sicklyboy Not Falco

Message Count:
    United States
    As long as the output voltage is 4.6v on the EUR one, which it should, then the USA charger will work.

YamiHoshi.nl I'm MKGirlism.

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    I know the opposite works, so maybe your combination works too.
    I never were overseas, other than 1 week in Brazil, and I'm to poor for a converter, so I can't actually confirm this myself.

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Message Count:
    Germany
    EUR is 220V-240V@50-60Hz, 90mA -> 4.6V, 0.9A

NathanDuma New Member

Message Count:
    I don't think it matters because all 3ds's are the same, the only difference is the software.
    It should work.
    • Newcomer

JimmyMcNulty New Member

Message Count:
    Oh, it's the output voltage that's of concern? Then what exactly is the input voltage?

Even more specifics to work with PsyBlade's post:

NTSC:
    Input: AC110V-120V 60Hz 7W
    Output: DC4.6V 900mA

[hr]Posts merged

But the chargers aren't the same. And the wall plugs and voltage requirements of the countries aren't the same, unfortunately. Regardless, I hope you're right. I really don't want to burn out a just-purchased 3DS.

Arras I will be your hexahedron today

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    The input voltage shouldn't matter because that's what the charger gets from the power outlet. In Europe the default input voltage is 220-240, but in America it's half of that. The charger more or less takes the input current and converts it to the output current. (in this case, 4,6V and 0,9A) Since the output is the same (Ampere is just as important as Volts!), you shouldn't have any trouble. I don't advise trying to use the PAL charger though, especially because you have a working NTSC one so it's not really necessary anyway.
    1 people like this.
    • Newcomer

JimmyMcNulty New Member

Message Count:
    Understood! Thanks! When the PAL 3DS comes in the mail, I'll check the charger to make sure the output is the same as the output on the US charger. If it is, I'll use the US charger. If it isn't, I'll go buy a converter from radioshack.

Something interesting: On the top of the american 3ds, where the charger input is, it says '4.6V = IN'. This supports the idea that the output is the important part, and that I need to make sure the new 3DS takes the same output.

I think I know enough information to figure it out on my own when the PAL 3DS comes in the mail this Friday. Thank you all! I'll let you guys know what happened so you can use this as a reference for others!
    • Reporter

Foxi4 Yeah, stay under the desk, sugar-tits...

Message Count:
    Poland
    That's not entirely true. A typical european charger which was designed to work at 220/240V will work half as efficient when fed only 110/120V, so keep that in mind. The other way around, using a US charger in Europe will result in burning the fuse the moment it's connected, so let's just say it's not advised to use it.

If you want to connect a charger that works on a different voltage than the one in your outlet, you need to buy a converter (it's just a basic transformer, really) to convert the current to the one familiar for the charger.

Also, no such thing as a PAL 3DS, NTSC 3DS, PAL charger and NTSC charger - NTSC and PAL refers to video modes of TV's, that, and only that.
    1 people like this.

SPONSORED LINKS