NTRBoot Released!

It's here!
ntrboot_checklist_2.png

Info

@Normmatt has created a way to run B9S .firm files from bootrom via a DSi Flashcard and a magnet! This works on every 3DS on any firmware version.

For installation without a PC, user @TheCyberQuake has created a pack which will automatically install B9S and copy over essential starter homebrew from the flashcard's SD to the 3DS's. This will mainly be used for PC-less B9S installations. If you have a PC with you, use 3ds.guide. Read more here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/481141/

How does this work?

This works because of a flaw in the bootrom. Before the bootrom boots the NAND, it checks to see if Start+Select+X is held down, and if the shell is closed. If these requirements are met, it will boot an NDS cartridge from the bootrom. This give that cartridge bootrom access. You might be wondering how you'd hold down buttons while the shell is closed, and why you need a magnet. If you put a magnet in a specific spot on the 3DS, it will go into sleep mode. Using this, you can boot the NDS cartridge with the buttons held down while in sleep mode! Using a reflashable flashcard, you can boot B9SInstaller using the flashcard, and easily install it on your 3DS.
The 2DS doesn't need a magnet since a switch puts it to sleep instead of a magnet.

What does this mean?

1. Any 3DS model on any firmware can be hacked with minimal effort
  2. You can unbrick any 3DS model from any type of brick.
    - Remember, you don't need a NAND backup for this. Just do a CTRTransfer.
    - This does not apply to MCU bricks.
  3. Even consoles with fried NAND, or even the NAND chip physically removed, can use this
This is incredibly impressive stuff, and will most likely be released soon! edit: now!

FAQ

Q: Can Nintendo patch this?
A: Nope! Not without a new hardware revision.

Q: My flashcard is blocked by my firmware! Can I still use this?
A: Yes! The flashcard blacklist is not enabled on the bootrom.

Q: Why can't this work with my flashcard?
A: The installation requires you to flash NTRBoot to the flashcard's nand. Most DS flashcards, such as the original R4, have a ROM, which is not flashable.

Q: Can I install NTRBoot on my flashcard without another 3DS system?
A: If you can run NDS roms on your 3DS with it, then yes. If it's blocked on your 3DS version, then you'll need another 3DS system to use it.

Q: Will my 3DS flashcard work?
A: No, only the NDSi flashcards listed above.

Q: Will any other flash cards work?
A: Only the ones listed in the OP. However keep in mind that flashcards such as the DSTT, Supercard DS2 and R4 SDHC Dualcore are planned to be supported in the future.

Q: I tried to do this with my cartridge and it didn't work?
A: It doesn't work with regular DS cards.

Q: Can I unbrick from a ____ brick?
A: Considering the card has access to the bootrom, yes! This can unbrick any brick (except MCU), unless you've taken a knife to the motherboard.

Q: Can I install B9S on the latest firmware with this?
A: Again, since the card has access to the bootrom, you can do this easily! Just plug in your flashcard, boot up using the magnet and button combination, and install.

Q: Does this work on the New Nintendo 2DS XL?
A: Yes!

:arrow: Release
:arrow: Guide
:arrow: Free NTRBoot Flashing
:arrow: Free B9S Installations

Here is SciresM's post about this

Please see SciresM's presentation on bootromhax.

Last edited by Deleted member 381889,

ilyIzzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna try with the R4i 3DS "R4i Gold" (Revolution for DS) Non-RTS) from r4ids.cn for shits n' giggles. Got nothing to lose.

It worked!

card10.jpg

If any of you have this (Rev. C) it'll work (Dumped and Injected with zero faults). I just don't have a stock 3DS laying around to go any further.

Last edited by ilyIzzy,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow you guys never cease to amaze me.... "Does my card work?" Even though it's clearly not listed as compatible. "Oh well, I'll just try it anyway!" Lol Why? It's not like it's magically going to work when it hasn't been programmed to. Most flashcards are read-only, hence why in the months prior to release it was believed only the Acekard 2i would be supported.

Also, it's better than DSiWareHax for a few reasons IMO:
1. It's relatively permanent. You can install the hax on one flashcard and use it on many many consoles back to back.
2. You don't lose an NNID, nor have to wait 7 days for a transfer if you did have one you wanted.
3. You don't have to wait 7 days to perform the hax again/Pay for DSiWare each time.
4. You don't need a second console after *hax* is flashed to the card.

Which brings me to another point. How are some of you complaining about the fact you need a flashcard and a console with CFW already? Half of you knew it was coming or were following the WIP threads, and still act like you didn't know? You guys have had MONTHS to either buy a cheap 2DS to hack and install it, or at the very least save up money for a flashcard and a powersaves (sorry you can't install it day one but seriously, it's not the end of the world). I guess if those of you that were SO hyped actually did some research when it was being talked about, you'd have known what you needed. I guess people get all excited and get tunnel vision and just see/hear/read what they want to and omit everything else..... Meh

More on topic. I'm glad this is released finally, now I can attempt to unbrick a few of these o3DS' I've had lying around forever and gift them away. :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Works that Card?
It doesn't, at least not yet. Sorry mate.

Reactions: Lush and lonewolf08

Slattz

Easygoing Fairy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
probably a bit off-topic but 12 hours after making my payment the status isn't "payment received" yet and I'm getting worried a bit :\
I ticked the payment made box on my order and I emailed them aying I made a payment and they shipped it out the same day. Now, granted, that was in June, I presume they are getting ALOT of orders atm so there would be delays.

Reactions: Ashachu

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but IMO people deserve to be chastised for getting defensive over avoidable ignorance; or at the very least instructed. If you ask a dumb question, you're going to get an even dumber answer.

Reactions: lonewolf08

ganjam0n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
using the latest version of ntrboot, has anyone here succesfully restored their acekard 2i from the dump it makes, i just want to make sure you can return the card back to normal, thanks.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Question:
I accidently deleted my AK2i backup, can i flash any backup from somebody else with the same card to it?

Dumping flash
ChipID: B8CD16BE
HW Rev 44444444
Detected: Acekard 2i HW-44

(It's an old AK2i with the chip bulbing a bit in the middle)

Other question:
Does the AK2i (HW-44) needs a SD card in it to be used for flashing (on the source N3DS) and to perform the boothack on the target N2DS?

Last edited by DjoeN,

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Question:

I accidently deleted my AK2i HW-44 backup, can i flash any backup from siomebody else with the same card to it?

Other question:
Does the AK2i (HW-44) needs a SD card in it to be used for flashing (on the source N3DS) and to perform the boothack on the target N2DS?
You'll need a backup for your card so for HW44 not HW81

It should work without a SD card in the flashcard.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Question:
I accidently deleted my AK2i backup, can i flash any backup from somebody else with the same card to it?

Dumping flash
ChipID: B8CD16BE
HW Rev 44444444

(It's an old AK2i with the chip bulbing a bit in the middle)

Other question:
You'll need a backup for your card so for HW44 not HW81

It should work without a SD card in the flashcard.

Better detailed :)
Yes i need a backup of HW-44, not HW-81 (which i deleted by accident) in order to get it back after i'm done with B9S flashing

[EDIT]
Seems the R4i Revolution for DS (www-r4ultra-com) is a AK2i clone from AK2i HW-44 (Do not try the link, it get's now to some wierd site, that's why i replaced the . with -)
Info when dumping:

Dumping flash
ChipID: 00000FC2
HW Rev 44444444

Note:
- I did not try to flash the ntrboot to it, just tried to dump it to see if it would work, and it did dump it

Last edited by DjoeN,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended