NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
First, A9LH gave us brick recovery without a hardmod, and now NTR gives us screen recording without a capture card. Is it Christmas already?! For those who are unfamiliar with the latest NTR release, the 3.4 preview enables users to wirelessly stream the N3DS screen to a PC, which can then be recorded via a screen recorder. From the initial NTR preview thread, there was a mix of different results with regards to video frame rate and streaming quality and it looks like several factors are at play.

The purpose of this thread is to provide a dedicated place for people to post footage recorded from their 3DS streams to show the quality that can be recorded with the latest NTR CFW. Please also post the setup specs such as console NAND information, CFW used under NTR, NTR build (for future preview builds), software tested, router used, router specs, router congestion, and PC specs. This is so that we can get a better understanding of what can be achieved so far and to identify any possible bottlenecks or limitations that can be monitored to improve recording quality.

Here's my example:

(Warning: Contains spoilers or plot ending details)

Console
N3DS XL/A9LH/AuReiNAND 4.2/Updated sysNAND 10.7
NTR CFW 3.4 preview version 1

OS
Windows 10 (virtual machine on OS X 10.11.4)

Router
TP-LINK D20 AC750
3DS connected via 2.4GHz 802.11b/g
PC connected via gigabit Ethernet

Recording Software
QuickTime 10.4

Console

OS

Router
iPhone 6 acting as wireless router with MyWi 9
iOS 9.0.2, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, 2.4/5GHz dual band/300mbps maximum transfer rate
No devices other than the PC and 3DS connected to the network, minimal congestion

Recording Software
QuickTime 10.4

Software Tested
- Home Menu
- Majora's Mask 3D
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
- Mario Kart 7
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
- Attack on Titan: Humanity in Chains
- Nintendogs and Cats

So far I've noticed that the router used seems to be the biggest contributing factor, with old 802.11b/g 54mbps routers being unable to support proper streaming (either the bottom screen is completely missing from the stream or the entire stream is unable to sustain more than 3 frames before connection loss). Having dual band supposedly helps as it avoids interference with 2.4GHz from the 3DS* but I'm not sure how much of a contributing factor that is.

* Source: https://github.com/44670/BootNTR/wiki/Video-Streaming

Last edited by NekoMichi,

Caseyfam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, A9LH gave us brick recovery without a hardmod, and now NTR gives us screen recording without a capture card. Is it Christmas already?! For those who are unfamiliar with the latest NTR release, the 3.4 preview enables users to wirelessly stream the N3DS screen to a PC, which can then be recorded via a screen recorder. From the initial NTR preview thread, there was a mix of different results with regards to video frame rate and streaming quality and it looks like several factors are at play.

The purpose of this thread is to provide a dedicated place for people to post footage recorded from their 3DS streams to show the quality that can be recorded with the latest NTR CFW. Please also post the setup specs such as console NAND information, CFW used under NTR, NTR build (for future preview builds), software tested, router used, router specs, router congestion, and PC specs. This is so that we can get a better understanding of what can be achieved so far and to identify any possible bottlenecks or limitations that can be monitored to improve recording quality.

Here's my example:

Console

OS

Router
No devices other than the PC and 3DS connected to the network, minimal congestion

Recording Software
QuickTime 10.4

Software Tested
- Home Menu
- Majora's Mask 3D
- Mario Kart 7
- Nintendogs and Cats

So far I've noticed that the router used seems to be the biggest contributing factor, with old 802.11b/g 54mbps routers being unable to support proper streaming (either the bottom screen is completely missing from the stream or the entire stream is unable to sustain more than 3 frames before connection loss). Having dual band supposedly helps as it avoids interference with 2.4GHz from the 3DS* but I'm not sure how much of a contributing factor that is.

I think your video example got hit by copyright ninjas. I'm blocked from viewing it.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I think your video example got hit by copyright ninjas. I'm blocked from viewing it.
Turns out the music in Mario Kart was triggering YouTube's copyright filters and causing certain regional blocks. I'm in the process of removing the audio tracks... :(
Actually it was a track from Attack on Titan being flagged by Pony Canyon. Oops.

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Here's my example:

Console

OS

Router

Recording Software
QuickTime 10.4

Software Tested
- Home Menu
- Majora's Mask 3D
- Mario Kart 7
- Nintendogs and Cats

Would be cool if you can pm me, because I have a similar setup (iPhone 6s and want to buy MyWifi 9) For now with the normal Hotspot, it isn't working) Plus my 3DS is different than 192.168..... its 172.20.....

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Would be cool if you can pm me, because I have a similar setup (iPhone 6s and want to buy MyWifi 9) For now with the normal Hotspot, it isn't working) Plus my 3DS is different than 192.168..... its 172.20.....
Quick word of warning though, MyWi is quite unstable and has a tendency to drop connections and refuse to restart Wi-Fi hotspot until the phone is rebooted.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I really don't feel that good results can be produced from using phones as routers. I might test this when I get home. I have a MBP running 10.11.4, so I'd like to see how well it works with an actual dual-band router and Parallels.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn canyon full of ponies is preventing me from watching the video. : (

I thought the message was a joke until I looked up "Pony Canyon" and learned it is a real company.

Reactions: NekoMichi

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Here's a few tests and a tutorial.

N3DS on a9lh + 10.7U
Games tested: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Cubic Ninja, Mario Kart 7, Any GB(C) VC, SNES VC, NES VC, Ace Attorney Trilogy, SSB3DS, Hyrule Warriors Legends, and DBZ Extreme Butoden

Key:
Green = 25+ FPS
Blue = 15-24 FPS
Yellow = 9-14 FPS
Red = 0-8 FPS

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tested games:

Bravely Second - End Layer -> Playable!
Pokémon ORAS -> Playable (after you connected to the internet again)
Pokémon X/Y -> "
Detective Pikachu -> Not starting and playable! (bootloop)
GB/C VCs -> Playable!
GBA VCs -> Playable!
Yo-Kai Sangokushi -> Playable!
Super Smash Bros. -> Nearly playable
Super Mario 3D Land -> Playable
Mario Kart 7 -> Nearly playable
Monster Hunter X Cross (with english patch) -> Playable!
New Super Mario Bros. (Gold Edition) -> Playable!
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Rio 2016 -> Nearly playable
Pokébank -> Working
Fantasy Life -> Playable!
The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask 3D -> Playable!

On: new3DS XL GW 3.7.1 Emunand 10.7 w/ NTR 3.4 Preview1

Last edited by Traiver,

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Update:
Switched the video link to a version without the blocked content.
I just used KeepVid to download the video to get around the country block. Nintendo can go eat a ""ck. :P
Turns out two tracks were triggering YouTube's copyright system. The Nintendo track from Mario Kart was matched but wasn't the one causing the region blocks. It was the BGM from Attack on Titan. My bad.
I really don't feel that good results can be produced from using phones as routers. I might test this when I get home. I have a MBP running 10.11.4, so I'd like to see how well it works with an actual dual-band router and Parallels.
You're probably right, while phone-router footage is good enough to see what's happening on-screen, it's quite unstable and the frame rate isn't as good as some other footage I've seen. Still, it's better than the 14 year old router we have in the building, which stops working when we try to connect more than 3 devices to it.:P

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my test result for Pokemon with the multi cheat plugin.
Pokemon X,Y,OR,AS (USA): FAILED, black screen right after the title

It seems having a cheat plugin even disables the network communication for NTR's Debugger and Screen Capture along with normal internet access.
this does not happen immediately so the you have enough time to get to the menu before the connection is severed.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I'm thinking of getting a TP-LINK D20, as our current router only supports 802.11b/g and can't handle more than 3 connected devices. Can someone experienced with wireless setup give me their opinion on whether or not this will support stable video streaming from the 3DS while still allowing other devices to operate normally on the network?

Phemeto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hows MHX or MH4U looking on stream? Seems like faster paced games (Mario Kart, DBZ) hold it back, and MHX is capped at 30FPS so I would assume that it would be alright. MH4U at 50ish (N3DS) Probably wouldnt run too great

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Here is my test result for Pokemon with the multi cheat plugin.
Pokemon X,Y,OR,AS (USA): FAILED, black screen right after the title

It seems having a cheat plugin even disables the network communication for NTR's Debugger and Screen Capture along with normal internet access.
this does not happen immediately so the you have enough time to get to the menu before the connection is severed.
According to the information in the NTR wiki, you should enable debugger/video stream after starting the game if you're using ingame plugins.

Tested games:

Bravely Second - End Layer -> Playable!
Pokémon ORAS -> Playable (after you connected to the internet again)
Pokémon X/Y -> "
Detective Pikachu -> Not starting and playable! (bootloop)
GB/C VCs -> Playable!
GBA VCs -> Playable!
Yo-Kai Sangokushi -> Playable!
Super Smash Bros. -> Nearly playable
Super Mario 3D Land -> Playable
Mario Kart 7 -> Nearly playable
Monster Hunter X Cross (with english patch) -> Playable!
New Super Mario Bros. (Gold Edition) -> Playable!
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Rio 2016 -> Nearly playable
Pokébank -> Working
Fantasy Life -> Playable!
The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask 3D -> Playable!

On: new3DS XL GW 3.7.1 Emunand 10.7 w/ NTR 3.4 Preview1
Playable is very subjective here, I tried Bravely Second and it was not what I would call pleasant to look at, it was very choppy and delayed compared to the 3DS screen. Certainly not good enough to upload to Twitch/YouTube.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Kibido

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hows MHX or MH4U looking on stream? Seems like faster paced games (Mario Kart, DBZ) hold it back, and MHX is capped at 30FPS so I would assume that it would be alright. MH4U at 50ish (N3DS) Probably wouldnt run too great

MHX is alright, but still unplayable from the screen because of a few lags here and there and a framerate stuck around 15-20fps. It is alright, still not quite there yet though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over