Hardware Notices the disc, doesn't play, goes right back to home screen?

DDTarZan

Never getting laid again /s
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got an Xbox 360, updated it to the latest dash because it wasn't really worth hacking at all. Doesn't start up discs for some reason. Before it was on dash 13599, and when it tried to load a disc, it would just power off the system. Now it will notice the disc but won't play it at all, and checking the game details does nothing.

I wanna trade this thing in for like store credit at gamestop but I don't think they'll give me much if it doesn't play a game. So what could be the problem? Has anybody ever experienced something like this before? Thanks

DDTarZan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DVD drive failing?
It's the most likely problem seeing it doesn't play games.
Try cleaning the laser lens before assuming the drive is junk. If that doesn't do it, you could try squeezing more life out of it by tweaking the laser pots.
I am gonna mess with the eye and try cleaning it here soon. But it doesn't tell me that it can't read the disc, it says that I can play the game. So when I try to do that, the screen goes black for a moment, then returns to home screen.

I also forgot to point out that this xbox is supposedly recovered from RROD. So being fresh out of repair, is it possible that they forgot to fully connect the drive?

D

Deleted User

I also forgot to point out that this xbox is supposedly recovered from RROD. So being fresh out of repair, is it possible that they forgot to fully connect the drive?

I feel like that could be a possibility.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Other then cleaning the laser and tweaking it, theres nothing much to do other then replacing the whole drive.
Seeing it's an revived RROD machine, I dunno if you got it reballed but don't spend to much effort on it.
It'll fail again.

Reactions: Deleted User

DDTarZan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. I cleaned the laser, after hacking apart the darned thing and putting it neatly back together. Same thing it did last time. It'll spin up the disc, and it'll act like it can play the game. There's still no preview of the game or game detsils. I think maybe support had either put in a bad drive or didn't give it the right disc software.

Idk, I wonder what gamestop will give me for an xbox that turns on, but doesn't load a game lol.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright. I cleaned the laser, after hacking apart the darned thing and putting it neatly back together. Same thing it did last time. It'll spin up the disc, and it'll act like it can play the game. There's still no preview of the game or game detsils. I think maybe support had either put in a bad drive or didn't give it the right disc software.

Idk, I wonder what gamestop will give me for an xbox that turns on, but doesn't load a game lol.
They probably won't take it. Last I knew, Gamestop only takes fully working systems.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's also possible that the motherboard and drive aren't a pair - try playing DVD or CD discs, if they play OK you have a non-matching DVD drive, and your 360 will only ever be able to play stuff off the HDD.

(Unless you mod it with a CR4 or something).

DDTarZan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the date on the back.
If it's made somewhere between 2006 and 2007, it's a Zephyr.
Definitely a zephyr.
It's also possible that the motherboard and drive aren't a pair - try playing DVD or CD discs, if they play OK you have a non-matching DVD drive, and your 360 will only ever be able to play stuff off the HDD.

(Unless you mod it with a CR4 or something).
This actually crossed my mind the other day, but I didn't think of it while I had it out and hooked up to my tv. And sadly, it doesn't have an hdd. I had to update it and was ready to save games on it with a USB stick I had lying around. My thoughts on this are that the DVD drive is capped out, seeing as how it had one other owner before me.

Well, luckily, a good friend of mine is trying to sell me a whole system for $50. He said it was in working condition and that makes it a deal for me. If worst comes to worst, I'll just swap the DVD drive with the one I have right now.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, luckily, a good friend of mine is trying to sell me a whole system for $50. He said it was in working condition and that makes it a deal for me. If worst comes to worst, I'll just swap the DVD drive with the one I have right now.

That's the issue though, you can't just swap DVD drives from 360 to 360, each DVD drive is locked to the system it comes with, to replace a drive you need to either flash a new drive of the same make and model with your consoles drive key (you can spoof different make drives, but there are issues with doing that), or as I mentioned above, install a modchip.

Used fat 360s are $80 at gamestop with a years warranty, that's probably the best way to go IMHO.

Reactions: pelago
D

Deleted User

Where I live no secondhand store will accept pre slim 360
RROD will always happen again because it is caused a design flaw not a defect

DDTarZan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I just need it to work long enough until I can make the switch to hopefully getting an Xbox One. The guy selling me the Xbox says that I can give it back to him if it Red Rings, and then he'll just give me another as long as one works.

D

Deleted User

Honestly I just need it to work long enough until I can make the switch to hopefully getting an Xbox One. The guy selling me the Xbox says that I can give it back to him if it Red Rings, and then he'll just give me another as long as one works.
Your Xbox One won't play your 360 games and you might not get the same money back selling them than you spent on them in the first place. May as well just save for XB1 and skip 360 if that's the only reason you want one.

DDTarZan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your Xbox One won't play your 360 games and you might not get the same money back selling them than you spent on them in the first place. May as well just save for XB1 and skip 360 if that's the only reason you want one.
You might be right, I'd rather be stuck on the 360. At least I can play xbox original games on it. Maybe the xbox I'm getting is jtag or rghable. More on this much later. I'm not picking up the system for a couple of days.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night