North Korea and Trump

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Youkai, Aug 10, 2017.

1. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I know, I'm just making a point that it's not exactly out of the norm for our glorious leader

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I don't think I believe in politics or having a good future in this nation anymore. I just don't.

I say this because no one seems to agree, there are always opposing views, no one is ever satisfied no matter who the POTUS is, or was, and now with the missiles, I'm afraid...

Clearly, there's no solution, at all :cry:

Last edited by the_randomizer, Aug 12, 2017
  3. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Differing opinions are pretty normal no matter what you're discussing. Whether it's politics, or pineapples on pizza. You're not always going to find people who agree with you. It's life. The missile thing? Yeah, I'm not sure about that either. War is on the horizon.. Hm.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. bobbytomorow

bobbytomorow Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2016
    United States
    It all really depends on North Korea, I honestly don't think Trump is interested in instigating anything and he campaigned on not getting involved in foreign wars and railed Hillary for being a war hawk...I think he also knows that his base is not interested in foreign wars either and that was a reason his base voted him in. If you recall the reaction from Trump supporters when he bombed the airstrip in Syria, there was a lot of anger over that, Trump supporters are not like the conservatives of the past who were big on nation building and "spreading democracy" his supporters are more isolationist and Trump knows that.

It's a bit of a tightrope, NK is definitely a rogue nation as far as not being a part of any kind of unifying organizations like the UN or NATO and on one hand it's probably better for the world if they were disarmed but on the other they have a right to be a sovereign nation....so like I said I think it all comes down to how Jong-un plays his cards.

It will probably play out like it did with Iraq somewhat, with western powers wanting NK to submit to weapons inspections and more sanctions.

Last edited by bobbytomorow, Aug 12, 2017
  5. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Everyone here is an expert about North Korea. [​IMG]

6. bobbytomorow

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2016
    United States
    No one is claiming to be an expert on North Korea but this is a discussion forum where people you know, discuss things

7. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Most of you would be okay nuking North Korea or what have you without knowing what's really going on. It's beyond "just" a discussion.

8. barronwaffles

barronwaffles GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2014
    Syria
    There's actually plenty of dissenting opinions here.

9. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's a little late to claim that after all his "tough guy" talk.

10. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    This all reminds me of kid A looking at kid B at dinner time. Kid B says "stop looking at me" to kid A. Kid A says "no" and continues to stare at kid B. Someone better get a spanking/timeout (whatever you believe in), before moms nice China gets broken. Yes, china, it was made in the US, though.

11. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Personally, I am hoping for a military coup, if the sanctions ever affect the military, but I am not holding my breath. That would probably be one of the best case scenarios, in such a shitty situation.

12. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    I like how people who want this war, which would cost trillions and trillions and trillions of dollars.

but this people cant even get health care from their own government, who beg for health info on forums.

Flame me, no pun intended.

13. Youkai
    OP

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    http://www.bpb.de/mediathek/245969/im-strahl-der-sonne
    This is a very interesting documentary about North Korea from 2015

Sadly its in German so most people probably won't understand much and the music is rather biased BUT you can see lots of what is going on behind the scenes and you can see that the people there are not really happy ...
    This Documentary is about a little girl and her Family.
    Before they started with the Film they were able to talk to the girl who told them that her father is working at a newspaper and her mother in some canteen and that they life in a small place near the station.
    In the Documentation they got a proper "new" flat which is supposed to be a very good one and the parents just got new jobs. You can see these people watching over the family and the film crew some times while they tell the family and some other random people what they are supposed to say and how they have to smile and whatever.
    As there were allways people following and checking on the film crew they could not film much of what was not planned by north korea (they got a script what they are allowed to film and so on) but they show some scenes that they witnesed from the hotel room and some other things they noticed while filming plus they somehow got the chance to ask the girl just one question without the "guards" noticing.

Guess if you speak Korean or German this is really interesting, if not maybe it could still be interesting for some of the pictures.

I think that especially the younger folks looked realy sad most of the time and even though lot of them had a smile in their face it looked really forced and sometime you can see the people telling them to smile more for the Camera ... :(
    Not sure if this is a life worth living, even though I would not want anyone to be harmed I am still in favor of somehow destroying diktatorship there.

Last edited by Youkai, Aug 14, 2017
  14. Kigiru

Kigiru Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    I'm not from US, but i think that Trump goes into right direction with dealing with more "Villainous" people like ISIS and NK. Instead of builiding a line of defense around the globe, and then just talking about it like Obama he prefer to end problems with these groups fast, it's fucking good.
    Missile strike on Syria after chemical attacks for example was in my opinion something that should be praised, because instead of dragging this whole thing and ignoring the fact that some assholes are killing innocent civilians he decided to end it with one, powerful strike.

If NK would ever be a similiar problem, and i don't think that Kim is not ready to start a war right now, Trump should do the same thing - End it fast, with one-two hits.

Russia on the other hand is a different thing, Putin is more like gray personality. He's "bad", but also pretty useful and has similiar way of thinking to Trump. Till we have things like ISIS and NK, we should look at him as an useful ally.

15. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    I like how trump supporters are all "north korea has awful living conditions". No shit you only now noticed? Which is why people are against bombing the place. Two ways to fix it that i see. 1. Invasion. Expensive as hell in both dollars and potential human lives, Not feasible without china's agreeing to it. 2. gradual change through diplomacy and culture. Which could work but it's gonna take a long time.

Except that the airstrike accomplished nothing at all? Planes were taking off from the same base the very next day.

Last edited by dimmidice, Aug 14, 2017
  16. tetrabrik

tetrabrik Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2017
    United States
    so, there's one crazy guy with *Maybe* one atomic bomb. that may or may not work.
    and another crazy guy with over 20 thousand of them, and a lot to prove.
    I know who I'm more scared of

lordkaos likes this.
  17. bobbytomorow

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2016
    United States
    Obama is out of office

18. tetrabrik

tetrabrik Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2017
    United States
    Yes he is, congratulations for noticing.

Your point is..?

19. bobbytomorow

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2016
    United States
    You mentioned a crazy guy with bombs and something prove, Obama authorized over 26,000 bombs dropped in 2016 alone so I assumed you were talking about him

Obama also authorized more drone strikes in his first year than Bush's entire 8 years in office

Last edited by bobbytomorow, Aug 14, 2017
  20. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2013
    An aggressive threatening US pretty much plays right in to DPRKs national propaganda machine.

6 months ago (give or take) DPRK was on the edge of collapse with falling internal support. Kim Jong Un had to kill his own brother to stop the talk of a drop in replacement.

3 months ago Trump takes power and they are on the up and up.

Powerful propaganda machine fed by that dimwit Trump, success in nuclear weapons program and rapidly improving ability to launch ICBMs from anywhere without warning. The last major launch was completely unpredictable. Since then their crappy subs have been testing cold launch setups.

His rhetoric has strengthen Kim Jung Un's position, made allies (ROK) squeamish and forced the PRC to re-iterate they will not tolerate an per-emptive attack on DPRK. PRC will not tolerate US boots on the ground in a bordering state.

The Ukraine was convinced to give up nuclear weapons where did that get them?