Nora and the Time Studio: The Witch of the Misty Forest – English Translation

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Blackiris., Jul 19, 2015.

1. Blackiris.
    OP

Blackiris. Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Sorry for my looooong silence! I'm humbled that there are still people who remember (or discover) this project. The truth is I haven't been working on it much since the last update, mostly due to my frustration with my own inability to reach the level of polish I want – both due to the fact that English is not my native language and that I'm still no expert at Japanese. I struggle to write English dialogues that feel entirely natural; I would like to be able to translate the script in a way that expresses the nuances of the characters' personalities in an enjoyable manner.

The second problem is that I can only translate the script as I play the game because I have no context otherwise (I have the script files for the entire game, but no information which line is spoken by which character and so on). In other words, I have to try to trigger as many different scenes as possible, or else I will not be able to translate the entire script. This has proven to be a challenge as well, and I'm still in a relatively early phase.

But that doesn't mean I have entirely abandoned this project. It's still there on my Desktop, so I won't forget about it. My Japanese has improved quite a bit in the last two years and will continue to improve. I have not forgotten the joy of working on the game without any previous hacking experience whatsoever and the surprisingly quick progress I initially made. I also have a couple of ideas to improve the tools I've coded to make the work more comfortable.

So when will I start working on it again? I don't have a definitive answer for that. Not until September, that's for sure – my spare time is very limited in the coming two months. But it's always been a dream of mine to be involved in romhacking and fan translations and I definitely want to get back to it at some point. :)

Last edited by Blackiris., Jun 22, 2017

2. kosterix

kosterix Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2014
    Barbados
    At the risk of being blunt, can you point to a .nds file that you have so far please?

3. Blackiris.
    OP

Blackiris. Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Sorry, I will only share my files in the following three cases:
    - the project has reached a beta state and needs testing
    - I decide to cancel the project
    - someone competent and trustworthy wants to seriously contribute to the project (for example as an editor)

I also will never publicly share the .nds file, only patch files.

I don't have plans to release temporary patches. People looking for menu patches won't be happy with the current version anyway, because there's still a lot work to be done. I don't even know anymore what kinds of bugs my latest build had, but there were some issues.

Last edited by Blackiris., Jul 16, 2017
    Greymane likes this.
  4. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    ohhh this project!
    I wanted to make the logo! Still haven't made it OTLsorry

5. kosterix

kosterix Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2014
    Barbados
    do you have your build in github?

6. Dryon

Dryon Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2017
    Switzerland
    Glad to see this game hasn't been forgotten ! Wish I could help in some way, but I don't have any of the skills needed I'm afraid.