kktk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hey everyone!

I'm very new to 3DS hacking (only owned a GBA before) so I would like to ask a few questions before I actually purchase gateway 2.0 and my <4.5 ds. I'm sure these have been answered before but I couldn't really find the answers or they were too technical for me to understand, sorry!

1. I don't plan on getting any retail carts or eshop purchases. I understand some of the newer games can't be played like Pokemon X/Y and AC. I know the current gateway 2.0 is in its beta but eventually when it is released, will I have to buy a new gateway card to work the new games on it? I guess the question is, are later updates all software updates that can be easily downloaded from the site, or will they be hardware in which I would have to order a new gateway card?

2. Think I read that it doesn't, but to confirm, does gateway work with DS games? As in downloading DS roms and playing them. Is this function ever hinted at in future updates or will I have to get another card soley for that purpose?

3. When I do purchase my 3DS, is it a must to upgrade it to 4.5? I've read that its better to upgrade from say 4.1 -> 4.5. What do people mean that its 'better'? Will using 4.1 give it a chance to brick it or something? Since I don't own any games, if I wanted to update it to 4.5 it would be a whole lot of hassle to rent a game or something.

4. Online features. I'm guessing as a general thing, it is advised to not to use any online features in games whilst playing from a ROM using gateway? Even the older games that released awhile back?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post! Hope to join everyone soon with a gateway haha.

unpaiktable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, these are valid points and I would be very interested in finding out the answers to your questions. So instead of creating a new thread, I thought it would be better if I "hijacked" yours (sorry!) to add mine too.

I have been reading about the Supercard DSTWO card which supports GBA and DS emulation, and was wandering if any of these is supported on the 3DS. I assume that since homebrew cannot be run yet on the 3DS, it is impossible to run any emulators. So in terms of either getting the Gateway/R4i 3DS GOLD Deluxe and/or the DSTWO, which would you suggest?

Do you think it's even possible that Supercard DSTWO may be able to implement the hack to play 3DS games?

Thanks and apologies again for hijacking your thread

corim123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please learn to at least try to look ffs.
1)Yes probably as gateway says they can solve the NAND based carts.
2)Uhhhh yes. It runs a DS exploit to work. One of the cards is a DS Flashcart in all reality.
3)4.5 has better compatibility and 4.1 has already had issues with emunand. Quit crying and borrow a game.
4)Online is still impossible on ROMs. Never been stated to be anything else.
---
Depends what you want to do. DSTWO won't have you playing 3DS games ever in its current iteration.

kktk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Please learn to at least try to look ffs.
1)Yes probably as gateway says they can solve the NAND based carts.
2)Uhhhh yes. It runs a DS exploit to work. One of the cards is a DS Flashcart in all reality.
3)4.5 has better compatibility and 4.1 has already had issues with emunand. Quit crying and borrow a game.
4)Online is still impossible on ROMs. Never been stated to be anything else.
---
Depends what you want to do. DSTWO won't have you playing 3DS games ever in its current iteration.

Thanks for the help, but there's no need to be rude. I have been lurking for more than a few hours but its alot to take up as noob with 0 idea about all the terms used. Mostly because I don't understand whats being discussed, such as your line which says

"1)Yes probably as gateway says they can solve the NAND based carts.".

Yes to it being a hardware or software updates? Will I need to buy a new gateway card if for example a future update allows gateway to play pokemon X/Y?

kktk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Bump... I'm still looking for the answer to my first question before placing my gateway order...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1