Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to run syscheck 2.0b19 to do a health check and see if my system is as it should be but the program isn't saving the log, it says error but nothing more.

I have a USB Loader on the main channel screen, also a neek2o.

neek2o seems to work okay but the USB Loader (CFG Loader v70r75) isn't picking up the WBFS games on my NTFS partition on the HDD I have connected.

Is the "top" USB port the correct one (if the Wii is placed flat)?
Can USB Loaders pick up NTFS partitions?

Last edited by wrsg,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to run syscheck 2.0b19 to do a health check and see if my system is as it should be but the program isn't saving the log, it says error but nothing more.

I have a USB Loader on the main channel screen, also a neek2o.

neek2o seems to work okay but the USB Loader (CFG Loader v70r75) isn't picking up the WBFS games on my NTFS partition on the HDD I have connected.

Is the "top" USB port the correct one (if the Wii is placed flat)?
Can USB Loaders pick up NTFS partitions?

Try this one. You should use the port closest to the edge of the console. That would be the bottom one if the console is horizontal.

Reactions: wrsg

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I realised my mistake was not using a SD card. Sorry but it's been about 5 years and a divorce since I played Wii :D Things are hazy

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this one. You should use the port closest to the edge of the console. That would be the bottom one if the console is horizontal.
Could you please remind me the minimum setup that needs to be on a SD card to get syscheck running?
I put syscheck-HDE in /apps but in HBC, it doesn't see it. I only had the SD card inserted, not the USB HDD.
There's nothing else on the SD card, just the syscheck folder in /apps

Last edited by wrsg,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you please remind me the minimum setup that needs to be on a SD card to get syscheck running?
I put syscheck-HDE in /apps but in HBC, it doesn't see it. I only had the SD card inserted, not the USB HDD.
There's nothing else on the SD card, just the syscheck folder in /apps
That's how it should be set up. Are you sure the SD card is formatted with only one FAT32 partition? If it's an SDXC card that might cause problems, too. 32GB or smaller SD or SDHC is best.

Reactions: wrsg

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's how it should be set up. Are you sure the SD card is formatted with only one FAT32 partition? If it's an SDXC card that might cause problems, too. 32GB or smaller SD or SDHC is best.

Thanks, got it working. Had to change the partition type in Ubuntu to something more compatible and I also think it may just be a worn-out connection on the SD card but I got it.

https://pastebin.com/tzxgWG2W

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your report looks fine. Are you still having trouble with homebrew?
Thanks, I needed a health check really and also wanted to check if I have the optimal setup.

I'm having trouble getting WBFS games to run from NTFS, though I'm sure I was able to at one point. What's the correct method to do this?

Edit: What I mean by having trouble is when I attempt to switch to the NTFS partition in CFG Loader it crashes with a DSI Exception.

Edit 2: If I want to update cIOS d2x v8 to v10 how do I do it with Linux? Is there a Modmii equivalent? Reason I ask this is because I want to have an optimal setup. I read the changelog of the v10 of d2x and there was a lot of interesting things there.

Last edited by wrsg,

rawyolks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My Wii stopped working on component cable. There is only sound, no video, tv displays "invalid format". It's not in the game, it's straight from boot, in system menu, or priiloader etc. Works OK on old composite cable.

// EDIT // After making Priiloader autoboot Nintendont, it displays video on component cable! But nothing else, it just shows AHBPROT error, I can't run any game, etc...

Last edited by rawyolks,

Allen2Saint

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm new here.

My Wii drive is just beginning to get glitchy and I'm concerned that I won't be able to play my games( can't believe motion control gaming is dying in the general market! ) I'm not trying to get ROMS of games I don't own. The only thing I really want to get is Goldeneye X, which I understand is legal to obtain.

Can I ask for some advice on the safest way to rip my existing games with the Wii or a mac and to get a little home brew going so I can play Goldeneye X? I just want to "time proof" my Wii as best I can so I can enjoy these games with guests, etc.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Replace your console or the optical drive if it's dying. CleanRip is the most reliable game dumping app. Goldeneye X seems to be a combination of Perfect Dark and Goldeneye? If so, that's not legal unless you own both of those.

nonstopski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Q1) I have hacked using letterbomb, then got the homebrew channel and then backed up using BootMi via IOS. I left the keys file and NAND file in the root folder, but also copied them to my computer for safe keeping. Are they to stay on the root of the SD? Or will that mess something up?

Q2) Now, I am trying to use the Homebrew browser and getting DSI errors every time I go to the emulators tab and try scrolling down. I have deleted the app and started over once already. I adjusted the server in the settings.xml file to 1 instead of 0. I then copy and pasted the exact settings posted here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-fix-the-homebrew-browser-in-six-easy-steps.438982/ I am using a classic Wii controller (stock - RVL-003) with nothing else plugged into it. Running Wii on 4.3U as well. What am I doing wrong?

Q4) The app always says "checking icon "___/577." It is at 117 now, and slowly rising. Do I need this to run through all the way to 577?

Q5) Is it even worth using the Homebrew browser at this point in 2017 if things aren't updated in it anymore? I read somewhere on this forum that it wasn't all that up to date.

Last edited by nonstopski,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Q1) I have hacked using letterbomb, then got the homebrew channel and then backed up using BootMi via IOS. I left the keys file and NAND file in the root folder, but also copied them to my computer for safe keeping. Are they to stay on the root of the SD? Or will that mess something up?
Yes, it should be safe. I put the keys and NAND on my PC every time I back it up, and I put a date on the folder. This also saves space.

Was there a third question?

Q4) The app always says "checking icon "___/577." It is at 117 now, and slowly rising. Do I need this to run through all the way to 577?
It's not really necessary to wait.

Q5) Is it even worth using the Homebrew browser at this point in 2017 if things aren't updated in it anymore? I read somewhere on this forum that it wasn't all that up to date.
Unless you often have limited access to a PC, (as I do) it's better to go to a website such as http://wiibrew.org .

Unfortunately I can't help you on your second question :(

Last edited by banjo2, , Reason: fix
Reactions: nonstopski

nonstopski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks @banjo2 !

I actually got the homebrew browser working (more settings.xml issues), but as mentioned, a lot of stuff on it is outdated so I'm using wiibrew mostly (and this forum) to download things (for latest versions, etc).

Next question (maybe my final for a bit): What's the best way to have Gamecube games, Wii games, emualtor ROMs, and have configuration files, etc. running on ONE USB hard drive? Maybe this is a little subjective, but What USB Loader, what hard drive format, etc.? It seems like you can't play everything easily on FAT32 due to the file size limitation? But Nintendont requires it? So you must use it? How does WBFS come into play?

Would it also he possible to use an existing hard drive I have laying around that has a lot of video files and "other stuff" on it or am I better off starting with a new hard drive?

If a new one... I've taken a look at the wiki, but obviously a lot of the tests are super outdated. Seems wise to stay away from USB 3.0 and grab about 1 TB (bc space is cheap these days). I'd like to avoid the monstrosity that is the WD "My Essential", particularly since it requires it's own power source. Recs?

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks @banjo2 !

I actually got the homebrew browser working (more settings.xml issues), but as mentioned, a lot of stuff on it is outdated so I'm using wiibrew mostly (and this forum) to download things (for latest versions, etc).

Next question (maybe my final for a bit): What's the best way to have Gamecube games, Wii games, emualtor ROMs, and have configuration files, etc. running on ONE USB hard drive? Maybe this is a little subjective, but What USB Loader, what hard drive format, etc.? It seems like you can't play everything easily on FAT32 due to the file size limitation? But Nintendont requires it? So you must use it? How does WBFS come into play?

Would it also he possible to use an existing hard drive I have laying around that has a lot of video files and "other stuff" on it or am I better off starting with a new hard drive?

If a new one... I've taken a look at the wiki, but obviously a lot of the tests are super outdated. Seems wise to stay away from USB 3.0 and grab about 1 TB (bc space is cheap these days). I'd like to avoid the monstrosity that is the WD "My Essential", particularly since it requires it's own power source. Recs?
FAT32 is probably best (unless somebody here objects to that), and USB Loader is up to you. USB Loader GX is the most popular and the most "customizable", WiiFlow (which I use) is nice and has a cool customizable coverflow (3D covers), although I can't seem to rip any games with it. CFG USB Loader is small and easy to use, and I rip all my games with it. Your choice. I suggest the CFG/WiiFlow mods. https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-4-the-masterpiece-pack-by-abz.336543/ (WiiFlow mod) and CFG https://code.google.com/archive/p/cfg-loader-mod/ (CFG mod). WBFS is Wii Backup File System. You can rip and play these with such USB Loaders. You can also shrink them,I believe, with Dolphin. I may be wrong about that, but I know it's possible. Smash Bros. Brawl is over 7 GB, but it can shrink down to about 3 GB, I think. An external hard drive should be fine, as long as it's FAT32. Again, I may be wrong somewhere about this. @GreyWolf is great at answering these questions :)

Reactions: nonstopski

nonstopski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very helpful @banjo2 and @GreyWolf!

Edit: Had another Priiloader question, but figured it out.

1) Given what was discussed on formatting as FAT32, I guess I'm confused because any discussion of WBFS makes it sound like once you put those files on your hard drive, the hard drive can't be used for anything else (such as: ). I want to be able to at least put backed up Gamecube games on the hard drive as well. And maybe some configuration files/ROMs if my SD fills up.

2) Adding GC and Wii backups from a Mac... what's my best option? WitGUI and WBFS seem to both have mac versions. Along with the tool GreyWolf mentioned.

3) Can anyone tell me what this "Official CFG Loader Forwarder" does or what the value of it isi if I'm using USB Loader GX? I saw it in the Priiloader settings so I was curious.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free