NOOB PARADISE - ask away

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by richglix, Jan 26, 2009.

Jan 26, 2009

NOOB PARADISE - ask away by richglix at 11:58 PM (658,757 Views / 3 Likes) 12,230 Comments

• Newcomer

DarkCoffe64 New Member

Message Count:
    Italy
    Thanks! I was worried I wouldn't be able to mod it... Ok, I'm gonna transfer the data, mod my Wii, and then make MY Brawl! And other stuff...
    Thansk again! :yay:

• Newcomer

Frostshock New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Hello everyone. I figured I should post this here first instead of creating a new topic. My Wii is currently in who knows what kind of state because I let one of my friends do various modifications to it for me. I don't even completely know what's been installed to it. I'm looking to mod it fresh with the latest and greatest software. I performed the original installation of the Homebrew Channel on the console wayyyyy back with the Twilight Princess exploit and made a NAND backup. bootmii should also be installed to boot2 unless something has happened to it since then due to updating to System Menu 4.0 (although I've completely forgotten how to access it >_>).

If I'm able to restore the NAND (after backing up like...all my saves from the past 4 years), I'll have a really old 3.x 2006 launch Wii with an ancient version of the Homebrew Channel. Will continuing from this point be relatively straightforward?
    • Newcomer

geeb2002 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yes. Just download ModMii from this topic. http://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/
    It installs onto your PC. Then start the wizard. Tell it you wii has never been modded and answer the questions it asks. It will generate a guide and download all the need files for you. Put those files and folders on the root of your SD card and go from there following the guide it created.
    • Newcomer

Frostshock New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Ah, great, thanks.

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Message Count:
    Costa Rica
    If you install the update it won't get rid of the homebrew channel is you have the latest version of the homebrew channel. it WILL, however, get rid of those cIOS you put on to play USB games.
    What you can do is you can use ModMii for Windows to download everything you need to update just the important stuff and leave your softmod intact and it will generate a really easy custom guide to walk you through the installation of everything it downloaded (it's called the the syscheck log update wizard ... something like that.) One of the things it will have you install is PriiLoader which will make the Wii just skip checking for updates and block them if you accidentally try to install them yourself. They games will play just fine even with the updates blocked.
    • Newcomer

Dustinblack18 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Hey guys, I've been trying to set up hacked Melee (super smash bros) on my wii, I have 4.3u. I keep getting to the point where I try to load games from my sd card or usb with neogamma or postloader, and the game is just not showing up at all. I don't know what I can do to fix it, any help or questions would be appreciated.
    • Newcomer

cardz New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    Hi all
    Sorry for this noob question. I am sure its been said a few times but I couldn't find the answer.
    My friend has just brought a brand new wii (in mario kart pack) and he wants to soft mod it.
    I been reading here to install Modmii and follow everything from there.

Just a couple of quick questions.
    1)Will he be able to play his 'backed up Dvds' I am under the impression only a WBFS formatted hard drive will work with the very new wii's.
    2) Basically he wants to play his backups of Skylanders and I believe they dont run properly from hard drive. Is this correct?
    His 4year old kinda destroys Dvd's so much better to let them play with backups.

Thanks in advance
    • Newcomer

Overseer New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    1) Don't bother with WBFS, stick with FAT32 or NTFS; will work with new Wiis.
    2) I've not got Skylanders myself, but I believe this works from a HDD as long as the plate thing is plugged in to the other USB port. The game is useless without the plate.
    • Newcomer

William Knights New Member

Message Count:
    Italy
    This noob needs help, please! I hope this is the right thread!

I hacked my Wii (FW 4.3E --> LetterBomb, IOs, cIOs, Wad & Co.) three days ago by following various tutorials around the net (yes, I know, I'm noob!).
    I was not able to run backups until two hours ago, but I have a big, unresolved and annoying problem... ^^"!!!
    To be short: the graphics of my wii has got worse! It isn't fluid anymore, it's like there are bigger pixels on my monitor, the rendering is foggy, disturbed... I hope I've been clear enough! What should I do? :wacko:

My syscheck:
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!
    Last edited by William Knights, Jan 5, 2013
    • Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    This problem appears on games or on the Wii even without playing ? (system menu, settings, etc.)

If it's only when playing:
    You have this problem with retail games from system menu, or only with backup loaders?

if it's only with backup loaders, which one are you using? Did you try another one?
    Which version are you using?
    Which custom IOS are you using in the backup loader? (usually, slot249 is used, but maybe you changed that)
    William Knights likes this.
    • Newcomer

Dustinblack18 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Cyan, were you talking to me?
    William Knights likes this.
    • Newcomer

Message Count:
    Italy
    He was talking to me.

It happens everywhere: in the system menu, in settings and in games, but it's much more noticeable in games (in 3Ds especially). I have that problem either with retail games and backups.
    • Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    This is strange that even the system menu looks weird.
    This is either related to the video mode (you didn't change anything? PAL 50hz instead of 60Hz?) or to the softmod itself, but I never heard it before.

The softmod did change your IOS used by the system menu (IOS80), maybe it's not installed correctly, but it wouldn't work at all in my opinion.
    Maybe it's related to the CPU/GPU itself? Did you notice if the Wii was more hot than usual?

Could you take a photo? or a video maybe? (if you don't have youtube, you can upload the video on filetrip.net)
    • Newcomer

Message Count:
    Italy
    I tried 50hz and 60hz both, I use the 60hz because it is the recommended one.
    I bought my Wii 2 weeks ago, I didn't notice anything strange before hacking. It's hot, but not too much I think.
    I don't have a DVD recorder, I used my camera. The quality isn't good, but I hope it's good enough for this purpose.

(video)

@dustinblack18: I suppose you'd better post a syscheck so that someone could check whether your mod is ok.
    Last edited by William Knights, Jan 4, 2013

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Message Count:
    Costa Rica
    Do other games show up too or is that the only one you have?
    How did you put it onto your SD and USB drive?
    • Newcomer

cardz New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    Thanks for the reply but still not sure of a couple of things.

1. I wanna stick with WBFS. I am comfortable using it and already got my backups in that format. My question really was can it (the brand new wii's) also play discs or only stuff from hard drive.
    • Newcomer

yafaiz Old Salt

Message Count:
    Australia
    New Wii's only work from HDD as the disc drives have been edited in order to not run DVD-R

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Message Count:
    Germany
    do yourself a favor and run "wwt check" on the WBFS drive
    you might change your ming about using it then

depends on what you mean by "brand new"
    there are 4 general models (old to new)
    the only the old "normal" can read burned disks
    the 2009+ normal and later models can't
    the family edition and later lose GC compat
    and the newest (mini) can't be softmoded anymore
    • Newcomer

cardz New Member

Message Count:
    Australia
    Thanks for the answers.
    I will have to google and read about what wwt means but I am pretty happy with my old wii and everything running ok on a wbfs drive.

by brand new. I mean it comes with a mario kart and wheel. I dont care about GC. I assume is 2009+ .How do I tell the difference between a mini and a standard wii?

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Message Count:
    Germany
    normal: slot loader, hard edges
    family: slot loader, rounder edges, family edition printed on box
    mini: top loader, no sd-card slot, "triangular" edges, http://www.nintendo.com/wiimini

iirc the cart bundle was family but check the box

see sig for wwt
    its a wbfs manager/checker

SPONSORED LINKS