Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

D

Deleted User

It's the IOS the system menu runs on. Don't fiddle with it unless you know what to do or instructed to

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Littlegreenmen said:
afif95 said:
It's the IOS the system menu runs on. Don't fiddle with it unless you know what to do or instructed to
what would it doif i installed it from wad coul i use it to clear cioscorp
no, it would just overwrite your sys menu.

@Furter, you're completly right.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
OK, here's one. I have a few original PAL GameCube games I want to play on my softmodded NTSC Wii, the TV does not support a PAL signal, is there any way to force NTSC/60Hz on them? GCBooter gets around the region protection just fine, but I just get black screens for the most part (although Ikaruga was visible but quite plainly running in 50Hz, crazy scrolling).

richglix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tigertailz said:
I would like a brief discripton how to make your wii "virgin" again, like a retail wii with out the custom things

Its not easy.

First of all, it depends on what you've done already, so we are going to need more info.

Second...

WHY?

A lot more people have bricked their Wii's trying to "clean up" than trying to install stuff. If you are SURE, there are ways to remove most traces, but be SUPER CAREFUL.

Doing a Nintendo update will remove many things, but not all things, so again, be CAREFUL.

Animehead

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I`m wondering if anyone can tell me about the wii shop region. Can I get the US virtual console on my UK wii with starfall and the wiishop installation software? the instructions from bigmoe are very clear on all subjects except for the exact use for "region free channels" and wiishop installation- not sure exactly what the features of each of those do and if i can get the US wii shop or not?

tW34k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok, so I have been away a long time from the Wii hacking scene and was wondering since I already got 3.2E version of my Wii I was wondering if I need to update to 3.4 or should I just stay? And, what is up with all these channels? Do I really need any of the custom channels to play any games? What's the advantage with them?

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
The thing that sez Advanced Member under Mr. Saturn there, how do I change that to a custom phrase?

BTW just why DO I have those ribbons there anyway? Because if it's a voting thing then I wanna spread the love too
smileipb2.png

D

Deleted User

Nah, you need more than that. You need at least 100 (or 500) posts to make a custom title.

Those ribbons down there is your post count

(Why are we off topic)

richglix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhh, maybe that is why my GENS channel keeps crashing.

I downgraded mios the first time I installed riskii, but I went to a fresh 3.2 when I installed softmii, do I have to redowngrade mios to get gens to work?

I don't have time tonight, but I'll report back about it tomorrow...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tW34k said:
Ok, so I have been away a long time from the Wii hacking scene and was wondering since I already got 3.2E version of my Wii I was wondering if I need to update to 3.4 or should I just stay? And, what is up with all these channels? Do I really need any of the custom channels to play any games? What's the advantage with them?

About the channels:
Most homebrew software is available as .dol and can be launched from the homebrew channel. If you want to use game loaders(Gecko OS, Gamma or SoftChip), the only channel you need to install is the homebrew channel. You can install channels for all the loaders, but you don't have to.

Most people recommend to stay at 3.2 as some homebrew is not working with 3.4. If you want to play backups without a modchip, 3.2 is the best firmware available.

Some pros and cons about 3.2:
+ most(all) homebrew working
+ with starfall: disc update blocking
+ with starfall: some brick prevention**
- more work to do to get new original games to work
(for now you only need to insall the IOS from the game manually*)

Some pros and cons about 3.4:
+ no need to do anything if a new game comes out
+ higher sd card speed in official software
- trucha signed stuff only working with a cIOS installed AND used by the applications

How install the IOS from a game manually:
0. Get to know which IOS you need
1. Get the IOS
2. Install it with the WAD Manager

about 0:
The IOS you need is specified in a file called tmd on the game disc. To get the info which IOS is requested by the game, you can either open the .iso with Waninkoko's IOS Version patcher and look what it says or you can get the info from SoftChip if no .iso is available. If you start a game with SotChip, it writes this info into its log. So you need to enable logging in SoftChip and after launching the game with any IOS(36 for originals/modchip users, 249 for softmodders), you only need to look at the logfile in /SoftChip/ on your sd card.

about 1:
If you have the origial game or a modchip, get wufe and use it:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WUFE
or
If you have the .iso:
Open the .iso with Trucha Signer or WiiScrubber and copy the wad directly

about 2:
I hope i don't need to explain this

How to get brick prevention with starfall is a little complicated, you don't get it automatically. Search a guide for this and after following it, test the zelda autoboot before relying on the brick prevention. Oh, rely is the wrong word, just don't feel too safe, until you tested it.

GizmoGC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noob here...

Got a Wiinja installed in my Wii the same time that Paper Mario Wii (April 07?) came out. That worked well but then titles started piling up that would not play (Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros). Eventually I "softmodded" the same Wii using the TP Hack (maybe 6-7 months ago). My question - whats the latest way to get those issue titles (Galaxy and Bros) to work on my Wii? Does my modchip even matter now or is everything done through softmodding?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
GizmoGC said:
Noob here...

Got a Wiinja installed in my Wii the same time that Paper Mario Wii (April 07?) came out. That worked well but then titles started piling up that would not play (Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros). Eventually I "softmodded" the same Wii using the TP Hack (maybe 6-7 months ago). My question - whats the latest way to get those issue titles (Galaxy and Bros) to work on my Wii? Does my modchip even matter now or is everything done through softmodding?

First try to update your modchip, this would be the best solution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality