Hacking NodeJS on 3DS

hack3r2507

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey! I have an O3DS XL and I just started to code a bit javascript and did a Discord Bot. So my question: Can I run nodejs programs on my 3DS? So it would be on 24/7. If I made any grammar or spelling mistakes sorry I am not English.

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

Lunorian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there already a port? Because when I have to do it myself....I can't because I don't know why

That was a joke, don't take that seriously, Electron is basically Google Chrome full screen to make desktop apps using Javascript, it's a bit more complicated but you get the idea.

Now as for seriously running Javascript on the 3DS, Node.js hasn't been ported, I reached out to the Node.js Team Today and they told me this might be a better request of NodeOS. I'm looking into it now, although don't expect this to be available any time soon if ever.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why would you run a Discord bot on a 3ds 24/7? There's no real multitasking, so you can't play games with it anymore.

Porting Electron? Have you ever used the 3ds browser? Eventhough it's extremely limited in it's capabilities, it's slow and a lot of sides don't even fit into the 3ds's memory.

Porting Node.Js isn't realistic. Duktape(which is a lightweight JS implementation, with a footprint similar to Lua) would be an option, if you want to run JS code, but then without Node.Js's networking or filesystem functions.

hack3r2507

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That was a joke, don't take that seriously, Electron is basically Google Chrome full screen to make desktop apps using Javascript, it's a bit more complicated but you get the idea.

Now as for seriously running Javascript on the 3DS, Node.js hasn't been ported, I reached out to the Node.js Team Today and they told me this might be a better request of NodeOS. I'm looking into it now, although don't expect this to be available any time soon if ever.
Okay I didn't get the joke^^[emoji23]

Reactions: Lunorian

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Yeah, no... not that pthreads are infeasible on the 3DS, but you do a while(true); and you softlock the entire system, so yeah, no...
And you'd also need to port libuv which is a very thread-heavy library, so it's not going to happen any time soon™

Also, Discord bots are already possible on the 3DS :P You just need to write them in C/C++ instead of JS or CShasp or Python (there is no Discord library for Python 2.7, and Python 3.6 is not yet fully functional) or Java (it uses spinlocks which softlock the entire 3DS, so it's not portable without a major rewrite) or Lua (you'd need to write your own Discord Lua lib in C/C++ because all Discord Lua libs require libuv).

If you'd tell the reason you want NodeJS on the 3DS, I could try suggesting an alternative which is more feasible.

Last edited by Sono,

hack3r2507

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, no... not that pthreads are infeasible on the 3DS, but you do a while(true); and you softlock the entire system, so yeah, no...
And you'd also need to port libuv which is a very thread-heavy library, so it's not going to happen any time soon[emoji769]

Also, Discord bots are already possible on the 3DS [emoji14] You just need to write them in C/C++ instead of JS or CShasp or Python (there is no Discord library for Python 2.7, and Python 3.6 is not yet fully functional) or Java (it uses spinlocks which softlock the entire 3DS, so it's not portable without a major rewrite) or Lua (you'd need to write your own Discord Lua lib in C/C++ because all Discord Lua libs require libuv).

If you'd tell the reason you want NodeJS on the 3DS, I could try suggesting an alternative which is more feasible.
I just started with NodeJS so I don't want to start a new coding language. But thanks to your long reply. I ordered a Raspberry PI Zero W and that's better for hosting a Discord Bot. Thanks again [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Reactions: Lunorian and Sono

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I just started with NodeJS so I don't want to start a new coding language. But thanks to your long reply. I ordered a Raspberry PI Zero W and that's better for hosting a Discord Bot. Thanks again [emoji1303][emoji1303]

You could make Discord bots in C or C++ for the 3DS if that's what you want... Sure, it's a bit harder to do because you have to implement your own shit, but that's the fun in programming :D

Reactions: Lunorian

Lunorian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You'll be learning new languages your entire career as a developer. Get used to it now ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water