NISA and Atlus will no longer be publishing each other's games

NIS-America-Logo-720x340.jpg
It looks like like long-time publishing partners NIS America and Atlus are cutting ties. This means instead of NISA publishing Atlus titles in the EU, they will now probably be self-published by SEGA EU in European territories, while NISA games will not be distributed by Atlus in the United States. According to NISA's managing director, Takuro Yamashita, since being acquired by SEGA, Atlus has been difficult to work with, and the two companies' relationship has become strained.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: Fatih120

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer them with honorifics. Gives you a better idea of the relationship between people.
While I prefer honorifics too (at least with subbed anime/games, it might be different when dubbed) any translator worth their salt would know how to show character relationships while staying true to the script.

Anywhoo, you guys need to stop acting like the sky is falling. This won't mean ATLUS or NISA will stop making games. They'll just look to other companies or just self-publish. Then again, I live in North America so I get my games on time regardless.

ArcPh1r3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer them with honorifics. Gives you a better idea of the relationship between people.
Hey Kanji-cooon! How's it going sempie! You doin alright sempie! I'm fine sempie how are you my sempie!
It's not always bad but it gets a little excessive sometimes.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey Kanji-cooon! How's it going sempie! You doin alright sempie! I'm fine sempie how are you my sempie!
It's not always bad but it gets a little excessive sometimes.
Ehm.. You are over exaggerating.
Anyways I am with you on that a well done translation should provide the relationship, social status and education information normally provided by the usage of honorifics and other Japanese language nuances by using the tools already available in English (or whatever language), that is, without using honorifics. But oh well, preferences I suppose.

Brunho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ehm.. You are over exaggerating.
Anyways I am with you on that a well done translation should provide the relationship, social status and education information normally provided by the usage of honorifics and other Japanese language nuances by using the tools already available in English (or whatever language), that is, without using honorifics. But oh well, preferences I suppose.

Imo, the honorifics should be kept on subs and taken away on dubs. I don´t like dubs anyway, with or without honorifics, but I think it probably sounds more natural to native English speakers without them, even for Japanese characters in a Japanese context.

As for losing the implicity properties of the dialogue, it is as you said, you can maintain these properties using tools available in English too, it´s just a matter of having a good localization team.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anywhoo, you guys need to stop acting like the sky is falling. This won't mean ATLUS or NISA will stop making games. They'll just look to other companies or just self-publish. Then again, I live in North America so I get my games on time regardless.
Basically this. Everything is going to be fine.

Reactions: Brunho

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Basically this. Everything is going to be fine.

Yeah, everything is going to be fine.....unless you happen to be from Europe. NISA had be doing a fairly decent job, not perfect, but better than it used to be with Atlus games.

But of course, Atlus can't have that, EU people having a glimmer of hope, better stamp that out.

Shit company, SEGA should have let them rot.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, everything is going to be fine.....unless you happen to be from Europe. NISA had be doing a fairly decent job, not perfect, but better than it used to be with Atlus games.

But of course, Atlus can't have that, EU people having a glimmer of hope, better stamp that out.

With that kind of attitude I'm glad you get games years later. (:

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Easy to say when you haven't put up with it for 20 years.

Maybe we should take a page from NA players? Remind me again, what happened when NA didn't get three games?

Oh right, a whole campaign of crying that got covered by IGN etc, because it effected America.

And you all have such a bright outlook when it comes to NOA as well. Never any negativity towards NOA when EU dares to step out of line and gets a special edition that NA doesn't.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy to say when you haven't put up with it for 20 years.

Maybe we should take a page from NA players? Remind me again, what happened when NA didn't get three games?

Oh right, a whole campaign of crying that got covered by IGN etc, because it effected America.

And you all have such a bright outlook when it comes to NOA as well. Never any negativity towards NOA when EU dares to step out of line and gets a special edition that NA doesn't.
Or you could realize that most games NISA and ATLUS release are for consoles that are either region-free or could easily be hacked to become region-free. And besides, if ATLUS was holding NISA back, why would you not be excited by this?

Just be happy for us yanks, we are like your children, after all. Don't you want your children to be happy, even at the expense of your own happiness?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Or you could realize that most games NISA and ATLUS release are for consoles that are either region-free or could easily be hacked to become region-free.

Same deal for all the complaining when EU gets something NA doesn't. Yet funny enough, most NA players don't seem to be happy with "well, it's region free or hack your console", so don't complain.

if ATLUS was holding NISA back, why would you not be excited by this?

Why would EU be? Atlus games have been published by many different publishers in EU and pretty much 100% of the time the releases have been a trainwreck, due to Atlus. NISA have really been the only exception, managing to do a decent job of it.

Now Atlus has ruined that, EU releases of Atlus games will go back to either never happening or massive delays due to have to find a new pub for every game.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same deal for all the complaining when EU gets something NA doesn't. Yet funny enough, most NA players don't seem to be happy with "well, it's region free or hack your console", so don't complain.
"Other people complain, so I will too, even though I tell them not to."

Why would EU be? Atlus games have been published by many different publishers in EU and pretty much 100% of the time the releases have been a trainwreck, due to Atlus. NISA have really been the only exception, managing to do a decent job of it.

Now Atlus has ruined that, EU releases of Atlus games will go back to either never happening or massive delays due to have to find a new pub for every game.

So what you're saying is that because ATLUS is slow to release games in EU they shouldn't make games at all. I'll refer to my previous post:

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Other people complain, so I will too, even though I tell them not to."

I didn't tell NA players not to complain.

I simply said NA players aren't happy with the solution of it's region free etc, so don't complain when EU gets something NA doesn't, but EU players are suppose to be happy with that as solution according to you. But easier to just make up something, rather than actually respond to why EU should be happy with that as a solution, when NA players clearly aren't.

So what you're saying is that because ATLUS is slow to release games in EU they shouldn't make games at all.

Not just slow to release them here, but activly cause issues. Ruin the relastion ship with NISA, fucked up soul hackers (I think it was that game, added a game breaking bug the NA version didn't have), screwing EU with p4a (have the honour of being the only region locked disc title on ps3) etc, it's not just "slow to release", but what seems to be an active dislike of EU.

So yeah, after the latest stunt, I'd rather SEGA let them rot after they got themselves into trouble with dodgy bookkeeping.

& yes, I know, refer to your post "glad we get them later" because EU should just shut up and be happy that we can import :rolleyes:

Last edited by Armadillo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night