Hacking Nintendont

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Amy idea what timer they are fixing? Does it have to do with when the in-cart battery runs out?
It says something about berry bushes not working correctly, dont know anything else.
Oh and already a small teaser I just found a E3 demo build on one of these discs which can be turned into a fully functional early beta of a game and I will probably make a video of this when I get the time cause my god this stuff is always so exciting ;)

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It says something about berry bushes not working correctly, dont know anything else.
Oh and already a small teaser I just found a E3 demo build on one of these discs which can be turned into a fully functional early beta of a game and I will probably make a video of this when I get the time cause my god this stuff is always so exciting ;)
Now I remember. I forgot that there was a berry bush issue when you play the game for too long. I wonder if my copies of Ruby and Sapphire are affected. At least it shows that the game ROM is not read-only to a point to allow the patch to be applied.

zRukir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's most likely your problem. Nintendont can't handle a memory card that big. You should really use nothing larger than the 251 Block 2MB Memory Card. Only use an 8MB (1019 Block) card if a game needs it. Also the Wii has issues with physical memory cards larger than 251 Blocks. I could never get my official 1019 Block card to work. My game saves would always get corrupted but it worked fine on my GameCube so it's not the card.

Try a smaller card if you have one.
If I use a 4MB one, will it be fine?

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well then, just finished doing a video about this.

so the last few days I've been looking through demo discs to fix everything needed to get them running in nintendont and while doing that on disc 31 I found a file titled e3mariosoccer.tgc, if you play it just like that it will only have one stage and only one menu option. I checked out its contents and found a file called user.ini which originally contained this:
e3_build = true
fev2 = true
newloadscreen = true
and I changed it to:
e3_build =false
fev2 =false
newloadscreen =false
and placed it back in the game. That allowed me full access to all options, memory card saving and a pre-e3 menu look which I find really interesting. By the way if you wonder why I didnt select the underground or palace stages, they just crash the game because of missing maps, overall this build is very playable though. If you want to get this yourself you can use GC-Tool to extract the tgc and extract/replace the ini file and tgctogcm to convert the tgc into a format which GC-Tool and nintendont/dolphin etc can actually read. The video was recorded from the current nintendont 3.398.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I use a 4MB one, will it be fine?
There is no 4MB card. Only the 59 Blocks (500Kb), 251 Blocks (2MB) and 1019 Blocks(8MB) Don't use the 8MB one unless the game absolutely needs it.

I personally only use individual game saves using the 59 Block cards. Unless of corse the game has bonuses for having specific games inside the card.

Last edited by ccfman2004,

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, mine is 59 blocks but it says 4MB.
What a rip off.
But will 59 blocks work, then?
4MB is actually 4Mb (Megabits) which is 512 Kilobytes or a 59 Block card. Some 3rd party cards do that and it does nothing more than confuse customers into thinking the card is bigger than it really is.

A 59 block card is the recommended size. 251 Block cards are also fine too. The 1019 Block REAL cards have issues on the Wii for some reason. Nothing wrong with the cart, the issue is the Wii. Also 1019 emuMCs are not recommended unless absolutely necessary (if the game requires a card that big).

zRukir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks, ccfman2004!

But wait there's more (to all of you this time)
Because as soon as I went back into nintendont, I just remembered that GALE01 (Melee Title) isn't showing up anymore and it's just asking if I want to boot the disc itself.
Which is a problem because my disc is 1.00, not 1.02 (Yknow, the reccomended 20XX version).
Any help? Again?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least it shows that the game ROM is not read-only to a point to allow the patch to be applied.
The "patch" actually changes the RTC value, not the ROM data. From the Bulbapedia page, the RTC starts at 1/1/2000, though the game ignores the date for most things except calculating the number of days. A glitch in this calculation causes it to interpret 2001 as 2000, so once the clock has been running for 366 days, it ends up being interpreted as 0, resulting in timed event failures.

The "patch" sets the year to 2002, which bypasses the error.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
edit:
nice, version 7 of the pal demo discs contains a remix of termina field as background music!
https://www.mediafire.com/?ja8dwjboc4h87c3
edit2:
if you like the f-zero gx theme you'll probably enjoy this extended version I found on the japense summer 2003 disc ;)
https://www.mediafire.com/?jqiaaa3pf35ucy5
edit3:
this is way too much fun hehe, just found a agb emulator on disc 18 and there was another file titled .new beside it, just compared it and it just had a different border:
http://postimg.org/gallery/hf415du2/
on the left you can see the one in the .new file probably nobody ever saw and on the left the one you can see when playing disc 18. this is probably the first time anyone outside of nintendo saw that little piece ;) oh and I see why it wasnt used, somebody did not know what the actual gba proportions actually are lol.
http://s20.postimg.org/y333hbh4d/DISE01_1.png
Sadly for some reason the links are blocked in my country, also are these GBA emulators better than the AGB one?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The "patch" actually changes the RTC value, not the ROM data. From the Bulbapedia page, the RTC starts at 1/1/2000, though the game ignores the date for most things except calculating the number of days. A glitch in this calculation causes it to interpret 2001 as 2000, so once the clock has been running for 366 days, it ends up being interpreted as 0, resulting in timed event failures.

The "patch" sets the year to 2002, which bypasses the error.
I guess they never though to check to make sure the clock actually uses the right year.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
SDXC support? I was wondering if where going to be using up to 2TB cards with hundreds of games if the USB 2.0 port would be quicker for seek/read times with a usb 3.0 card reader vs the sdslot.
I have this card reader http://www.kingston.com/en/flash/readers/fcr-mlg4
but it was slower with cleanrip and swiss via usb, could of been running in usb 1.1 mode but I thought both tools used ios58.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SDXC support? I was wondering if where going to be using up to 2TB cards with hundreds of games if the USB 2.0 port would be quicker for seek/read times with a usb 3.0 card reader vs the sdslot.
I have this card reader http://www.kingston.com/en/flash/readers/fcr-mlg4
but it was slower with cleanrip and swiss via usb, could of been running in usb 1.1 mode but I thought both tools used ios58.
The Wii and Wii U SD Slot is super slow compared to a USB Card Reader.

I actually use the WODE to rip GameCube games and it's pretty fast.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SDXC support?
SDXC cards already work if they're formatted as FAT32, but as @ccfman2004 mentioned, the SD slot is slow. This could be useful for a "nano" USB microSD reader, though. (I use one for a 64 GB SDXC card on my Wii U for regular Wii U storage.)

EDIT: I didn't update the version number in that last pull request, so it still shows 3.397.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using UHS card?
The Wii's internal SD slot is why SD reading is slow. I used a Class 10 Polaroid 64GB SDXC to run GameCube games through Nintendont and I get stuttering during Video cutscenes but I don't see those issues using a USB Card Reader. It's Nintendo's fault. Same with the underpowered USB ports on the Wii U.

As for UHS, the card I used above is a UHS-1 SDXC card too but the issue is not the card, it's the slow SD card slot that Nintendo used in the Wii and Wii U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)