Hacking Nintendont

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So today I felt like looking at the audio quality of nintendont, I never checked the gamecube logo sound or audio streaming surprisingly enough so if you ever wanted to see some comparison pictures here you go ;)
This just compares the gamecube logo sound.
Real GameCube
Wii running Nintendont
I'm very happy to see how close both are considering I had to write a small audio patch for the bios to work in the first place.
This is from the ocarina of time bonus disc menu which has a audio streamed background track.
Original ADP converted to FLAC and cut down to match recording times
Real GameCube
Wii running Nintendont
As you can see quite a few upper frequencies get lost with nintendont, thats because nintendont does downsample from 48khz to 32khz because the game is internally using only 32khz so we have to adjust in order to properly inject audio stream content. Luckily you dont really hear a huge loss because it only affects very high frequencies. Overall I'm very happy that audio streaming does sound pretty good. What I DID notice though is that its possible the L and R channels in nintendont are swapped, I dont know if my cable mess is just plugged in the wrong way of if I actually made a mistake, I'll have to investigate that. If for whatever reason you would like to take a listen yourself, here is the folder with the FLAC files.

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has come up several times before. Essentially trying to port and Modify Nintendon't to WiiU mode will be more trouble than it's worth.

Again.. that was not the idea I had in mind. More or less just throwing networking capabilities into Nintendont's existing features, which is honestly an older and possibly just as not possible idea.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
why do you want to force mario sunshine usa to 576i? if you want 576i just get the pal version.Some games will never let you force them since they are hardcoded messes.

Because I don't have NTSC copies of all my PAL games and 576i looks better than 480p imo.
I wish Nitendont had 576p patching like SD-Boot/Swiss, Genesis Plus GX, Wii64/Cube64 and WiiSX/CubeSX,
I believe it's refered to as a debug video mode in devkitppc, posted that before nobody took any notice. https://github.com/devkitPro/libogc/blob/master/gc/ogc/video_types.h

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
after some more testing the channels with audio streaming were indeed exactly swapped, crazy how nobody noticed this before.
-swapped left and right channel for audio streaming data, it was reversed before
surprisingly enough it was no problem with my combiner code so I just swapped it in the decoder, I know that because the same issue happend in the majoras mask ending which is also audio streamed and uses a custom combiner I wrote which took me ages :P If anyone wants to see a comparison of that here it is.
Original ADP converted to FLAC
Wii running Nintendont
besides from having the same 32khz cutout as the previous audio stream sample there is nothing else to say about it, sounds great.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wouldn't rewrite the games. :P
All GameCube games are not written in 1080p only 480i or 480p so there would be no benefit. Wii games on the other hand were written in 720p or 1080p even though the Wii only had a maximum output of 480p.
Nor do any games on emulators, but they can be upscaled to 1080p. 3D Polygons are displayed as pixels, but are not made of pixels like 2D graphics.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok Ive got a controller problem.

Im on the latest nintendont update.
Im using an official Nintendo Smash bros. gcn controller.
I'm connecting the controller with what I believe is a 3rd party gcn wiiu adaptor.

Ive got no special controller.ini file downloaded and am hoping someone can provide me with one.

THE PROBLEM

when play mario sunshine, the R click is mapped as the Z button.
The Z button does nothing

When playing Mario Kart DD - as soon as I press left or right on the analogue stick, the kart throws a super hard left or right and locks in that position.

So in sort, can someone please provide me with a controller.ini file that will fix my problem please?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok Ive got a controller problem.

Im on the latest nintendont update.
Im using an official Nintendo Smash bros. gcn controller.
I'm connecting the controller with what I believe is a 3rd party gcn wiiu adaptor.

Ive got no special controller.ini file downloaded and am hoping someone can provide me with one.

THE PROBLEM

when play mario sunshine, the R click is mapped as the Z button.
The Z button does nothing

When playing Mario Kart DD - as soon as I press left or right on the analogue stick, the kart throws a super hard left or right and locks in that position.

So in sort, can someone please provide me with a controller.ini file that will fix my problem please?
The Wii U USB GameCube adapter is hardcoded in Nintendont so it doesn't need an INI file. Also what is the exact Nintendont version (ex: 3.381) So many times people say they had the latest when they didn't because they were using the old Google Code page.

Also is the GameCube controller you are using an official Nintendo one or a 3rd party version. It's a know fact that 3rd party controllers don't always work right.

If the USB Adapter is 3rd party is there a switch on it that says something like WiiU/PC? Make sure the switch is on the Wii U side as these 3rd adapters sometimes are designed for use on a computer too.

yellowsnow4free

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone!

One of my first posts here, so I apologize if I'm breaking any rules.

Anyway, I recently softmodded my Wii and I want to play Gamecube games on it off my hard drive. I followed the softmod tutorial here (https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...backup-wii-gamecube-and-wiiware-games.360687/) and I'm currently on step 5. I should install Nintendont instead of DIOS MIOS, right? If so, should I still install IOS249 in order to play newer Wii games?

Any info on what I should do from here is appreciated, as I'm a noob at Wii modding and am kinda lost :P

BTW, here's a link to the post I created in the softmod thread; I think it outlines a little more of what I've done on my Wii so far:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...backup-wii-gamecube-and-wiiware-games.360687/

Thanks!

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone!

One of my first posts here, so I apologize if I'm breaking any rules.

Anyway, I recently softmodded my Wii and I want to play Gamecube games on it off my hard drive. I followed the softmod tutorial here (https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...backup-wii-gamecube-and-wiiware-games.360687/) and I'm currently on step 5. I should install Nintendont instead of DIOS MIOS, right? If so, should I still install IOS249 in order to play newer Wii games?

Any info on what I should do from here is appreciated, as I'm a noob at Wii modding and am kinda lost :P

BTW, here's a link to the post I created in the softmod thread; I think it outlines a little more of what I've done on my Wii so far:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...backup-wii-gamecube-and-wiiware-games.360687/

Thanks!
Nintendont is launched using the Homebrew Channel and uses an unmodified IOS58. It doesn't use DIOS MIOS at all. Nintendont only exists on your SD card and is not actually installed onto the Wii itself so don't worry about DIOS MIOS..

Last edited by ccfman2004,

hayden99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried to stream with elegato. keeps saying low bandwidth. when im on wii u its fine. everytime i tried to use nintendont with elegato it keeps saying low bandwidth. can anyone help me with this? (Edit : Nvm just my internet connection)

Last edited by hayden99,

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
The Wii U USB GameCube adapter is hardcoded in Nintendont so it doesn't need an INI file. Also what is the exact Nintendont version (ex: 3.381) So many times people say they had the latest when they didn't because they were using the old Google Code page.

Also is the GameCube controller you are using an official Nintendo one or a 3rd party version. It's a know fact that 3rd party controllers don't always work right.

If the USB Adapter is 3rd party is there a switch on it that says something like WiiU/PC? Make sure the switch is on the Wii U side as these 3rd adapters sometimes are designed for use on a computer too.

Thanks for your response. I've attached a few pictures to make clear what I'm dealing with

Prior to trying the gcn controller I had been using a ps4 with an .ini controller file sitting in the root directory of my sd card and it had been controlling perfectly.

I originally tried my smash bros. controller and then to rule that controller out I used my original purple gcn controller which came with my gcn back in 2002.

I've deleted the ps4's controller.ini file to eliminate any confusion and nothing fixes my control issues. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've tried turning on the usb HID controller option and it makes no difference.

Last edited by laudern,

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried loading Nintendont through the Homebrew Channel? The loader you are using is out of date. There is no HID on/off option anymore. Let's make absolutely sure that it is indeed a Nintendont issue.

Also I suggest editing your post and putting the pictures inside a SPOILER tag so it keeps the thread looking clean.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Have you tried loading Nintendont through the Homebrew Channel? The loader you are using is out of date. There is no HID on/off option anymore. Let's make absolutely sure that it is indeed a Nintendont issue.

Also I suggest editing your post and putting the pictures inside a SPOILER tag so it keeps the thread looking clean.

How can the loader I'm using be out of date? I updated usb loader gx today!

I tried loading Nintendont directly from the homebrew channel and the same issue persists.

I've got my HDD in the top usb port and the power for the HDD in the front right usb. I have the gcn adapter plugged in to the bottom rear usb port and the left front port.

Interesting fact - when I directly go into Nintendont and slects a game. Before I load the game if I go to the options screen of Nintendont I can not navigate any of the options. I can only press the home button to exit Nintendont.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can the loader I'm using be out of date? I updated usb loader gx today!

I tried loading Nintendont directly from the homebrew channel and the same issue persists.

I've got my HDD in the top usb port and the power for the HDD in the front right usb. I have the gcn adapter plugged in to the bottom rear usb port and the left front port.

Interesting fact - when I directly go into Nintendont and slects a game. Before I load the game if I go to the options screen of Nintendont I can not navigate any of the options. I can only press the home button to exit Nintendont.
Some loaders are no longer maintained by their original author and the built-in updater is most likely broken. What is the version of the USB Loader you are using?

If you have the same issues while loading direct from the Homebrew Channel then it is most likely an issue with the 3rd party USB GameCube controller adapter you are using. A lot of 3rd party/fake controllers and accessories don't function correctly in Nintendont.

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Some loaders are no longer maintained by their original author and the built-in updater is most likely broken. What is the version of the USB Loader you are using?

If you have the same issues while loading direct from the Homebrew Channel then it is most likely an issue with the 3rd party USB GameCube controller adapter you are using. A lot of 3rd party/fake controllers and accessories don't function correctly in Nintendont.

image.jpeg

I am fairly sure it has something to do with the adapter. Remember how I said when I go to the options screen in Nintendont that I can't navigate within the screen. If I unplug the adapter I can fully navigate the options screen.

Can you recommend an adapter that works and is relatively cheap (eg not the official one)???

How about his one??
https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/261723975595

EDIT I was able to find an official adapter for $50 so I bit the bullet and purchased it.

What Loader is still kept up to date if usb loader gx isn't??? Or how can I updated usb loader so it is up to date. That is by far my favourite loader.

Last edited by laudern,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
r1260 is the current GX version and it's only a few months old. Do you have a controllers folder on your drive? If so, try renaming it.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
View attachment 48133 View attachment 48134 View attachment 48135 View attachment 48136

Thanks for your response. I've attached a few pictures to make clear what I'm dealing with

Prior to trying the gcn controller I had been using a ps4 with an .ini controller file sitting in the root directory of my sd card and it had been controlling perfectly.

I originally tried my smash bros. controller and then to rule that controller out I used my original purple gcn controller which came with my gcn back in 2002.

I've deleted the ps4's controller.ini file to eliminate any confusion and nothing fixes my control issues. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've tried turning on the usb HID controller option and it makes no difference.
arent you plugging your controller on port 4? because logicaly every console ever made the ports go from left to right the leftest one being the 1st port unless your gc adapter is upside down?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.