Hacking Nintendont

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use 2 HDD's here, one for my wii games and one of my Gamecube games, both are external powered.. i did use some pen drives as test.. it was a bit of a hit and miss.. one worked, the other didn't.

hazymaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can safely say that WD products work best on regular Wii (not recommended for Wii U, least not without a y-cable) also I remember people reporting that SeaGate works fine too and for my testing with Toshiba it didn't work fine with DM (at the time) but it worked with Nintendont.

As for SD cards, SanDisk is boss when it comes to using with Wii, Sony products aren't very recommended from my testing.

I hope this helps.
WD and Seagate? Okay. Any model?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you perhaps mean an "enclosure?" I'm sorry I'm a little confused.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
This doesn't show a port for a power supply. Am I getting the wrong one?
That will probably work fine. I just generally recommend USB HDDs/SSDs with their own power supplies (plug into the wall for power) if it's going to be stationary. Especially for the weak USB output of the Wii and Wii U.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would advise against using a 7200 RPM 2.5" drive using bus power only as all you will get is click, click, click, etc as there is not enough power. I had that happen with some 5400 RPM drive too. I wonder why Nintendo didn't give the USB ports enough power to begin with since they were allowing us to use HDD to store and run games from.

The funny thing is that my PS3 Slim doesn't provide enough power to some bus powered HDDs too.

Last edited by ccfman2004,

hazymaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would advise against using a 7200 RPM 2.5" drive using bus power only as all you will get is click, click, click, etc as there is not enough power. I had that happen with some 5400 RPM drive too. I wonder why Nintendo didn't give the USB ports enough power to begin with since they were allowing us to use HDD to store and run games from.

The funny thing is that my PS3 Slim doesn't provide enough power to some bus powered HDDs too.
So the 4TB MyBook should be alright?

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure which is better. The one I put up had less storage space but a higher RPM, and is cheaper, but the one you put up is $30 more expensive and has 4x the storage but a lesser RPM.

2TB is just right for me - basically the entire GC set, USA and JAP exclusives, LOTS of wii games and all wiiware.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just using a 250GB HDD for all my WIi and NGC games. I can't imagine there being enough good games on the system for 2TB. Maybe if you include some of the third-party NGC games, but those are generally better on the original Xbox. Oh well, I just find it funny in an overkill way. :grog:

Reactions: cvskid

hazymaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just using a 250GB HDD for all my WIi and NGC games. I can't imagine there being enough good games on the system for 2TB. Maybe if you include some of the third-party NGC games, but those are generally better on the original Xbox. Oh well, I just find it funny in an overkill way. :grog:
I'll use the MyBook then.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the 4TB MyBook should be alright?
If you are talking about the Western Digital one I can tell you that I have that version and it works great. However it doesn't get recognized right away for some reason and I need to do a small work around it get it to load. Other than that it works great. See the video below which will explain what I mean about the issue and work around.

If you have any other questions about that specific drive let me know and I can help you out.

Edit: Just to clarify, this is the model I have.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-b...d310&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg36984&ksdevice=m

I have that same model as a 1TB, 2TB, 4TB and 6TB all of them My Books and they all have that same problem I mentioned.

Last edited by Clutz450,

hazymaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are talking about the Western Digital one I can tell you that I have that version and it works great. However it doesn't get recognized right away for some reason and I need to do a small work around it get it to load. Other than that it works great. See the video below which will explain what I mean about the issue and work around.

If you have any other questions about that specific drive let me know and I can help you out.

Edit: Just to clarify, this is the model I have.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-b...d310&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg36984&ksdevice=m

I have that same model as a 1TB, 2TB, 4TB and 6TB all of them My Books and they all have that same problem I mentioned.

I'm actually getting the 500GB Mybook Premium because its cheaper but if it does have the same issue I'll let you know if your workaround works.

Reactions: Clutz450

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm actually getting the 500GB Mybook Premium because its cheaper but if it does have the same issue I'll let you know if your workaround works.
Sorry for late respond, if you're using a regular Wii go for WD My Passport it's been working great with me for years, if you use a Wii U then get one with its own power cord or a y-cable, Wii U is different than regular Wii just so you know.

also it's recommended if you go with My Passport to make the "update" as it saves you the headache of it going sleep, you can try My Essential as it seems to automatically have sleep mode disabled which is convenient.

One more thing, I don't recommend using a 500GB as it's too small and you will probably run out of space soon, get a 1TB or 2TB as those are confirmed to run flawlessly on regular Wii.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be but I am not sure if 4TB is too big as it would requires a GUID partition scheme and I don't know if Nintendont support that yet.

EDIT: It looks like GPT is supported according to release notes.
Partially supported. Currently, GPT works as long as your FAT32 partition starts and ends within the first 2TB. The major limitation is that both libcustomfat and FatFS use 32-bit sector values. This needs to be changed to 64-bit. Also, the USB code is only retrieving a 32-bit sector count. I'm not entirely positive how to change this to retrieve 64-bit, but will be working on it later.

There's also a report of issues when using Hybrid MBR (e.g. a Macintosh-formatted GPT drive). I'm waiting for the user to respond to the issue with the necessary MBR data: https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/issues/202

Summary of GPT limitations in Nintendont at the moment: (version 386)
  • Only the first 4 partitions in the GPT are checked. I'm testing some patches locally to check all partitions in libcustomfat (loader), and then will be porting this over to FatFS (kernel).
  • Partitions must be within the first 2 TB of the drive for 512-byte sector devices.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1