Hacking Nintendont

TheChield

Ugly Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If it is really a problem TheChield, then why don't you keep 2 sets of devkit pro and switch if needed.

BTW, i was just wondering, is your nickname a typo? Was it meant to be TheShield of perhaps TheChild?
Well, I just remember I have looked in a dictionary before using this nickname...
It was years ago... it's just an old English word... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chield
As I love retro games I thought it was fine...

The answer is staring at you in the face...YOUR COMPILER IS OLD.

If you really insist on using that old ass compiler I suggest you read the error. Its looking for a bswap16. The bswap assembly command takes a register (in x86 its EAX) and performs a swap on the bytes and is used to switch between big endian and little endian. I don't know ARM assembly but I'm assuming it uses a similar generic register. If you really want to keep to, override the the function with a define. Pretty sure you could use something like this this x = (x>> 8 & 0xff) | (x << 8 & 0xff) to solve the problem.
Thank you it works !
But I had also to update libogc for an error from a gx lib... I'll check it later...
I prefer to have something that allow me to compile all I want in only one configuration.
I will check later what is different between my build and the one from the repro with hexdump.

Thanks

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I just remember I have looked in a dictionary before using this nickname...
It was years ago... it's just an old English word... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chield
As I love retro games I thought it was fine...

Thank you it works !
But I had also to update libogc for an error from a gx lib... I'll check it later...
I prefer to have something that allow me to compile all I want in only one configuration.
I will check later what is different between my build and the one from the repro with hexdump.

Thanks

probably not as well as it should.

This:
x = (x>> 8 & 0xff))| ((x << 8)& 0xff00) )

Its more explicit and ensures that the correct values are masked prior to shifting and swapping and ensures that you are keeping bytes that were pushed up on the shift left.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously the "run wii games in Nintendont" thing needs to stay out of this topic. Why is this brought up every few days:glare:

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Even though you can do it with a usb loader dedicated for that purpose; it perplexes me why they think Nintendont can be made compatible. I'd love to use a GC controller for some Wii games in USB loader GX, doubt it'll happen though.

Reactions: Dondaa

Zakaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though you can do it with a usb loader dedicated for that purpose; it perplexes me why they think Nintendont can be made compatible. I'd love to use a GC controller for some Wii games in USB loader GX, doubt it'll happen though.

Sorry I don't know the intricacies of the homebrew scene. I had seen similar comments about using a usb loader to get it to work and thought this would be the appropriate place to ask about it.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry I don't know the intricacies of the homebrew scene. I had seen similar comments about using a usb loader to get it to work and thought this would be the appropriate place to ask about it.

I'll explain in simple terms. You use a USB loader like USb loader GX or Wii flow to play backup Wii isos; this requires cIOS modifications. Nintendont ONLY plays Gamecube Games, or N64 games that injected into GC games (I know people have done this, I have no idea of the way to do this myself). You can use Nintendont to load them, but it is not intended as a front end. USB loaders can be used as a frontend for Nintendont however.

But I think so many people keep asking is because the GC adapter is compatible with nintendont (I'm not saying that's what you're doing). They assume if they bug the devs enough they'll make it work, fat chance. I'd love to play some wii games like Project M or Arc Rise Fantasia with a gamecube controller, but it's my fault that I don't own a wii to just buy the games and play with a GC controller on that.

People need to learn that they can't just have everything their way all the time.

Zakaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I think so many people keep asking is because the GC adapter is compatible with nintendont (I'm not saying that's what you're doing). They assume if they bug the devs enough they'll make it work, fat chance.

Yeah I certainly wasn't trying to come in and ask the devs to work on something new, I had just seen a couple posts that had made it sound like it would be possible to use a USB loader to run wii games through nintendont. If its not something currently workable I guess that's unfortunate and I'll just have to wait until the Project M devs get the adapter working as they have said they will in the future.

You mentioned:
You can use Nintendont to load them, but it is not intended as a front end.

I suppose this is a workaround that is difficult to use and likely only works in certain situations?

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I certainly wasn't trying to come in and ask the devs to work on something new, I had just seen a couple posts that had made it sound like it would be possible to use a USB loader to run wii games through nintendont. If its not something currently workable I guess that's unfortunate and I'll just have to wait until the Project M devs get the adapter working as they have said they will in the future.

You mentioned:

I suppose this is a workaround that is difficult to use and likely only works in certain situations?

You would think so, but it's pretty seamless. Any problems are normally with Nintendont's own compatibility issues with a game, rather than the loader. There was a time recently where Nintendont compatibility was broken with loaders but the devs are brilliant at ironing out those kinds of issues quickly. Just make sure you're updated with the latest revision and you're normally fine.

If you want to find out more, look at all of the stickies and make sure you know around the homebrew and modding scene. People are very helpful.

If you are interested in playing Wii backups on wii U, look at this thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/basic-dos-and-do-nots-of-vwii-modding.339337/

And then this thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/hacking-the-wiiu-a-simple-progress-guide.338900/

Do you have the homebrew channel installed and/or custom cIOS?

Zakaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would think so, but it's pretty seamless. Any problems are normally with Nintendont's own compatibility issues with a game, rather than the loader. There was a time recently where Nintendont compatibility was broken with loaders but the devs are brilliant at ironing out those kinds of issues quickly. Just make sure you're updated with the latest revision and you're normally fine.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting this but you're saying it is indeed possible to use nintendont to launch something such as usb loader gx to run wii games? Is there a guide out there somewhere?

Edit: sorry had a cached version of the page up before I posted this. I haven't done any soft modding of the wii/wii U before but I'm pretty confident I'll be fine figuring it out from those links. Thanks.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sorry if I'm misinterpreting this but you're saying it is indeed possible to use nintendont to launch something such as usb loader gx to run wii games? Is there a guide out there somewhere?

Edit: sorry had a cached version of the page up before I posted this. I haven't done any soft modding of the wii/wii U before but I'm pretty confident I'll be fine figuring it out from those links. Thanks.
no nintendont doesnt launch usb loaders... usbloaders can have nintendont incorporated in them its the total oposite.

Zakaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no nintendont doesnt launch usb loaders... usbloaders can have nintendont incorporated in them its the total oposite.

Oh that makes sense. In that case the USB loaders would have all the same controller compatibilities that the version of nintendont implemented in them has? Or would that only apply to Gamecube games launched through the usb loader?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Oh that makes sense. In that case the USB loaders would have all the same controller compatibilities that the version of nintendont implemented in them has?
not at all each program is its own program, for example to use wiiupro controller on wii/wiiu on nintendont fix made and incorporated the wiiupro code in nintendont and released his library so other ppl could incorporate them in their programs/emulators and so on, so if you wanted to use the adapter you would need a program that launched wii games to have HID incorporated to emulate the wii controls since the adapter is hid but there is no such program and nintendont has nothing that you could use, you would need a dev that would emulate controller code trough their wii launching loader but my guess is that would be an huge ammount of work that is why no one has ever done that.

Zakaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not at all each program is its own program, for example to use wiiupro controller on wii/wiiu on nintendont fix made and incorporated the wiiupro code in nintendont and released his library so other ppl could incorporate them in their programs/emulators and so on, so if you wanted to use the adapter you would need a program that launched wii games to have HID incorporated to emulate the wii controls since the adapter is hid but there is no such program and nintendont has nothing that you could use, you would need a dev that would emulate controller code trough their wii launching loader but my guess is that would be an huge ammount of work that is why no one has ever done that.

Alright now I understand whats going on. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend of mine sent me some Nintendont memory card images that somehow got corrupted. On examination of the images:
  • They were both 4 MB (507-block) - he doesn't know how that happened.
  • Both of them have random garbage that looks like part of the USB filesystem.
It seems that the emulated memory card area is easily clobbered. I've only seen it happen for emulated cards over 512 KB, but when it's clobbered, the entire image is corrupt, not just the >512 KB area.

Would it be possible to remove the memory card RAM entirely and just read from / write to the memory card file directly?

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country

I worded it wrong I suppose. I meant you can use nintendont to launch Gamecube games only, and use USB loaders to launch Nintendont games. Many USB Loaders cater for Nintendont with impressive compatibility and with many options.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
tested r2.258 on my regular Mios Wii earlier today using a GC controller and everything is off (except for EmuMC) it seems the wide screen update affected some games, is it possible? Also I noticed F-Zero AX now doesn't work most of the time when you start it, is that normal?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
tested r2.258 on my regular Mios Wii earlier today using a GC controller and everything is off (except for EmuMC) it seems the wide screen update affected some games, is it possible? Also I noticed F-Zero AX now doesn't work most of the time when you start it, is that normal?
what games and what seems affected? its a wiiu widescreen code so if your on a wii that thing wont even activate.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Specify first if what games exactly, and if the games work normally with the Widescreen/4:3 correction turned off as it was before.

Dondaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

agreed. I'd love to use a gc controller with some Wii games, that doesn't support it.

Reactions: AlexandreKH

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning