Hacking Nintendont

Mite000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh okay, that's a shame. Although I am able to make the PS3 controller work while using the Pro U's cable. Does that mean there's hope that it can happen? lol

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
no wiiu pro controller and xbox controller are not hid they dont transfer hid signals trough the usb cable so they will never work with the hid method, the only chance the wiiu pro controller to be used is when/if Bluetooth is implemented.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, you're absolutely right! I seem to have a knack for getting 99% of the way there and then mess up the dumbest thing lol. Thank you very much for your help! Hopefully this at least helps out someone else who might make the same mistake.

On an unrelated note, I was looking through the compatible controllers and I didn't notice any for the Wii U Pro controller without a mayflash adapter. Is it possible to make the Pro U controller work with just its USB charging cable like the PS3 controller does? Or maybe a wired USB 360 controller?
The controller.ini.ini is actually the most common problem that first time users have. It's on the first post somewhere but maybe it needs to be relocated to the install instructions?

The pro controller is not HID so the adapter is required

the 360 controller is not HID so it so it requires a very expensive adapter.

Reactions: Cyan

Mite000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The controller.ini.ini is actually the most common problem that first time users have. It's on the first post somewhere but maybe it needs to be relocated to the install instructions?

The pro controller is not HID so the adapter is required

the 360 controller is not HID so it so it requires a very expensive adapter.

If it's that common of a problem then you might as well put it in the install instructions. What tripped me up is that I originally tried getting my Wii Classic controller to work with a generic usb to pc adapter with no luck, so I was trying different stuff and thought one problem might be that I didn't add the .ini lol. Figures.

Hopefully the upcoming USB to Gamecube controller adapter that Nintendo is releasing for the new Smash Brothers will work. That would be perfect.

Nemesis90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone confirm that second sight freeze on the loading screen after you sneek past the two guards in the building in the training area, who ever updated the compatability list didn't test this game very long v1.127 and v1.128 does this

I was the one who added that issue originally, but it seems to be gone on v1.128. I made it all the way to the next mission then saved and quit just now. What are your settings?

darkseekerliu

Advanced Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hopefully the upcoming USB to Gamecube controller adapter that Nintendo is releasing for the new Smash Brothers will work. That would be perfect.

I, as a gamer, hope that too. But I am not counting all on it. Let's think: The gamecube adapter will be released in order to play a Wii U game, so, avaiable on Wii u mode. We can't use any benefits of the wii u hardware on vWii (yet)... Let's hope Nintendo releases a firmware update that allow its use on vWii, otherwise only with a working Wii U homebrew environment.... of course that's only my thoughts...

JaeLinx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing resident evil 2 with my ps4 controller and everything works perfect except one little annoying thing. I like to use the dpad when playing resident evil and to run in the game I have to hold down "square" which acts like the "B" button on a gamecube controller. The problem is when I hold "square" the dpad no longer works. If I use the analog holding "square" to run works. I know its not a big issue but to me its annoying because the older resident evil games are hard to control with the analog. I keep running right into zombies. Please help me.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing resident evil 2 with my ps4 controller and everything works perfect except one little annoying thing. I like to use the dpad when playing resident evil and to run in the game I have to hold down "square" which acts like the "B" button on a gamecube controller. The problem is when I hold "square" the dpad no longer works. If I use the analog holding "square" to run works. I know its not a big issue but to me its annoying because the older resident evil games are hard to control with the analog. I keep running right into zombies. Please help me.
Simply use HIDtest to remap your buttons to however you like

this is one of the advantages of Nintendont compared to dios mios and devolution

JaeLinx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendont

Direct link to the latest open source version : here

What is Nintendont?

Nintendont is obviously not a modification of the MIOS, like DIOS MIOS (lite), because the vWii does not have a MIOS.
It is neither a emulator, because the vWii is not powerful enough to emulate GameCube games.
Nintendont is more like an interpreter which runs Gamecube games natively.

Features currently supported by Nintendont:
  • Works on Wii and vWii on Wii U
  • Full speed loading from an USB device, or a SD card
  • Loads 1:1 and compressed .ISO disc images
  • Loads games as extracted files (FST)
  • Memory card emulation
  • HID controller support via USB
  • Custom button layout when using HID controllers
  • Cheat code support
  • WiiRd (only on Wii)
  • Changeable configuration of various settings
  • Reset/Power off via button combo (R + Z + B + D-Pad Down)
  • Advanced video mode patching, force progressive and force 16:9 widescreen
  • Auto boot from loader
  • File caching for faster game loading
  • Play Triforce arcade games
  • Automatic Disc Swapping
Features Nintendont doesn't support yet:
  • Play audio via disc audio streaming
  • Bluetooth controller support (Wiimote, Wii U Pro, ..)
  • Allow use of the Nintendo GameCube Microphone
  • Use real memory card
Features Nintendont will never have:
  • Play retail discs
  • Play backups from writable DVD media
  • AP-Protection
What gamepads are working?

The following gamepads are known working:
  • Official Gamecube controller (on wii only)
  • Wavebird Gamecube controller (on Wii only?). You need to launch Nintendont from HBC with this controller already ON.
  • PS2 Dual shock
  • PS3 Dual shock/Sixaxis
  • PS4 Controller
  • Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510
  • Trio Linker v1 (GC, DC, PS)
  • mayflash wii classic controller to usb adapter
  • Mayflash Wireless Wii U Pro Controller Adapter [W009] (L/R analog are not working because WiiU Pro lacks analog shoulder buttons)
  • Mayflash 3 in 1 Magic Joy Box adapter.
  • and more...
You can find all the controller.ini files on this git repository, or create your owncontroller.ini file.

Note: HID USB can be connected on the front port on WiiU only if you launch a game located on SD card.
If you launch a game on USB, connect the USB cable on the back of your console.
If you are using both ports on the back for Y-cable to give enough power to your HDD, you can disconnect the additional power port after the HDD started spinning, and connect your controller instead.

Note2: You can use only one HID-USB Compatible controller at a time. No multiplayer with HID.

Is my gamepad compatible?

If you have a specific controller you want to play with, you can test if it is compatible with this homebrew:

http://crediar.no-ip.com/HIDTestv4.rar
The readme in this rar-file should explain everything.
rename to boot.dol to launch the homebrew from HBC.

new versions:
HID_Test v6
- Added support for DigitalLR command
- Added display of raw data when controller.ini exists
- Added support for Power command
- Added support for MultiIn command
- Added support for MultiInValue command
- Fixed Parsing controller.ini when a longer command was placed before a shorter command with the same ending characters in front of the "="
Use this guide to create your own controller.ini file.

Download
The app is in early beta status and still in development. There are a lot of games not working, but you can try it by yourself.

Nintendont has been released in different forms:
There's an alpha version which was released on September 20th 2013 which will play Zelda Wind Waker only! (NTSC-U or NTSC-J)
It was released the same day than Nintendo's Zelda Wind Waker HD on WiiU in USA, users can now play either the WiiU HD version or the GameCube version on their console.

Alpha 0.1 : Nintendont Zelda Preview Alpha

• You need to READ the included readme.txt to know how to setup and use nintendont.
  • If you get "This version of IOS58 is not supported" on Wii, you need to update your IOS58 to version 24.32 (IOS58_installer from Tantric will NOT install the correct version)
  • HID-USB controller works only with USB cable (no Bluetooth).
As of 2013-12-08, Crediar released the sources and provided a build newer than the Zelda preview alpha version.
Since 2014-04-27, a new project page is used and version 1.0 has been released.
Direct link to the latest revision: https://nintendon-t.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/loader/loader.dol

or, if you want to download a specific, older version:
https://nintendon-t.googlecode.com/svn-history/r80/trunk/loader/loader.dol
For many other versions you want, just change ^ here where it says "r80" to some other version number.

Install instructions

1-4: Download the latest released package and extract it to your /apps/ folder.
or
1. Create a Nintendont folder in your /apps/ folder (ex. SD:/apps/Nintendont)
2. Download the meta.xml file and place it in the same folder.
3. Download the loader.dol and rename it to boot.dol
4. re/place the boot.dol into Nintendont folder.
5. If you want to use a USB controller, select the correct controller file and rename it to "controller.ini". Place this file on the root of the device where your games are located.
Attention: If you are hiding known file's extensions on Windows, name the file "controller" only, or it will end being named "controller.ini.ini".

To update the revision, repeat step 3 and 4.
The meta.xml version will be generated and updated automatically when launching nintendont.

Is there a forwarder for Nintendont?

Wii : Link - made by Badablek.
The forwarder looks for: apps/nintendont/boot.dol and apps/nintendont/Loader.dol

WiiU vWii : Link - made by JoostinOnline

Does it work with USBLoaders?
Yes, Wiiflow, USBLoaderGX and PostLoader support nintendont launching.

- Put the nintendont's boot.dol in the default nintendont folder.
- Set Gamecube mode to nintendont in your preferred loader's settings
- Don't forget to put controller.ini on the root and the memory card file to /saves/ folder on the device where your games are located.

Default nintendont folder:
- USBGX: /apps/Nintendont/ (can be changed in the loader's settings). since r1219, USBGX accepts both boot.dol and loader.dol filename.
- Wiiflow: /apps/Nintendont/
- PostLoader: (probably) /apps/Nintendont/

Game folder
The games require to be the same format and path than the one used by DIOS MIOS and DIOS MIOS Lite.
Compatible format : Clean 1:1 ISO, compressed ISO, Extracted File System (FST Format), GCReEx, DiscEx.
On USB, only the first partition of Port0 is mounted. It can be FAT32 with 32k/cluster or less. 512 or 4k drives are supported.

SD or USB1:/games/whatever you want/game.iso
SD or USB1:/games/whatever you want/disc2.iso

The non-bold part need to be written exactly like you see it above (the filename is not the game's title, but the 4 letters "g+a+m+e")
If a game has two discs, the second ISO needs to be placed in the same folder than the first disc's ISO, and named to "disc2.iso".
Only the bold part "whatever you want" need to change.

For better compatibility with other loaders, you can put Game's Title and GameID in that part, like this :
SD or USB1:/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso
SD or USB1:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/game.iso
SD or USB1:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso

For users who still don't understand that "game" doesn't refer to the game's title but to the single word "game":
/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/Zelda.iso <--- WRONG :hateit:
/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso <--- Correct :D
/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso <--- Correct :D
/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/cache.txt <--- Correct :D

Can I use Cheat codes?
Yes, cheat codes are working on the Open source version (Not on the Alpha).
To enable the cheat codes, you need to download kenobiwii.bin file and put it in your sneek folder from the device where your games are located, like this: SD:/sneek/kenobiwii.bin and USB:/sneek/kenobiwii.bin

Generate your cheat code file using your preferred method (USBloader, online, etc.)

If you launch Nintendont from the Homebrew Channel, put the .gct file in /games/GameID/GameID.gct
if you launch from a loader, it will be loaded wherever the loader's default gct location is.

Then, enable Ocarina or Cheat option and launch the game.

Where are stored the savegames?
Nintendont uses an individual memory card image per game.
To generate and enable memory card emulation, enable "MC Emulation" in Nintendont options.
The memory card will be created in /saves/<GameID>.raw located on the same partition than your game.

How do I extract my Savegame from my memory card to use with Nintendont?
You can use GCMM to extract the content of your real memory card.
You can extract it as full Raw dump, or game by game in .gci format.

• Method1
Rename the full memory card dump create by GCMM as <GameID of the game you want to play>.raw and put it in your /saves/ folder.
If using this raw dump doesn't work, follow method2.

• Method2
For this method, you need an existing memory card image created by Nintendont. Launch the game you want to play at least one time with "Memory Card Emulation" option enabled.
Then use Dolphin emulator's Memory card manager to move the savegame you want from your GCMM raw dump or from a .gci file into the Nintendont memory card.

Can I convert savegames between DIOS MIOS and Nintendont?
nmm to gci : nmm2gci v0.3 by Suloku
gci to nmm : gci2nmm v0.1 by Crediar.

What is this cache.txt file used for?
Cache.txt file lists few files from the game that nintendont will pre-load in RAM and keep them always in RAM in order to fasten the game loading speed.
It can cache up to 28MB of data, or up to 220 files.
It lists one file per line and can contains either the full path or only the filename.

If you don't provide a cache.txt, Nintendont attempt to build one in RAM automatically based on recurrent files access while playing.

Best performance is achieved by caching regularly accessed small files. Small files require multiple disk seeking in short time and is what slow down the game.
Caching big files is not useful and will waste the available 22MB.
Here is Crediar's example for SSBM.

You can request cache.txt files for your game here, and find already created files here.

I have an error, what does it mean, what should I do?
There are few errors you could encounter.

• IOS58 is not the correct version on Wii!:
It means you are using an outdated IOS58 on your Wii. Update it.
IOS58_installer from Tantric doesn't install the correct and latest version.
To update your IOS58, you need to find the correct file version. You can extract IOS58-64-v6176.wad from a game's disc (wiixplorer), a game's ISO (Wiiscrubber), or download it with modmii or NUSD.
Install IOS58-64-v6176.wad using a wad manager which is NOT patching the IOS. If your HBC is upside down, reinstall the Wad using a different wad manager.

THIS IS NOT FOR vWII on WiiU !!!! NEVER INSTALL IOS58 MANUALLY ON YOUR WIIU!
THIS IS ONLY AN ERROR ON OLD WII !

THE ISO58 ON WIIU IS ALREADY THE CORRECT VERSION...... DON'T TRY TO FIX SOMETHING IF IT'S NOT BROKEN!!!

• You need to disable AHB_PROT:
You didn't correctly install nintendont. read the install section above.
You need to copy the meta.xml in the same folder than nintendont. You also need the Homebrew Channel v1.0.7 or newer. Old version (HBC v1.0.6 and older) will not work.
If you have a meta.xml, make sure that the tag <ahb_access/> is present in your meta.xml.
The file should be created and updated automatically when launching nintendont.

• Black screen when launching a game:
First, try to put the ipl.bin (gamecube bios, no link will be provided here), or the font_ansi.bin in the root of your SD and USB.
If it doesn't help, the game is probably not compatible yet.
NOTE: ipl.bin and the font file is not needed anymore since v1.119

• Error at launch when using caching features with cache.txt:
Your drive is not fast enough. Try to format it with higher cluster size (64k/cluster), or use a faster hardware.

• Nintendont doesn't find my games:
Rename the game filename to "game.iso".
/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/Zelda.iso <--- WRONG
/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso <--- Correct :D
/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso.iso <--- WRONG
be sure to enable "display known file's extension" in Windows settings, it's a common problem with users having bad file name.

• Nintendont doesn't find my controller.ini file, but it's there!:
You probably named the file "controller.ini.ini", because you are hiding known file's extension on Windows.
Rename the file only "controller", or unhide the file extensions to see the real filename and keep only one extension, not two.

• Nintendont doesn't work anymore:
Try to deleted your nincfg.bin file (though it shouldn't be needed, but users reported that it fixed some of their issues).

• Nintendont doesn't work with UStealth:
To support Stealth drives, nintendont needs to be recompiled using a version of LibFAT with stealth support.

Nintendont wishlist and Suggestions
Good ideas (no promise if it will be added or not)
- Remember the selected game when switching back/forth into the settings. done in v1.120 by FIX94
- Per game settings
- Real Memory card support.
- Bluetooth controller support
- Add HID controller support in the loader menu.
- Support Multiple HID Controllers

Not retained / Will probably never be added (stop asking)
- Change the way Autoboot is working.
The Autoboot setting lets you autoboot the same game with the same settings next time you launch Nintendont. It's for users who keep playing the same game more than 5 minutes!
If you want a different auto-booting method when using your favorite USBLoader, ask to USBLoder's devs to use the alternative (using arguments) autoboot method.

Other ideas and suggestions. Not sure yet if it will be worked on, but we noticed your request.
- Have a list of controller.ini in a folder and let nintendont choose the correct one.
- Have a menu to configure the controller directly into nintendont.
- USB-HID controller using front port when using USB kernel

Things we don't know:
- Add Support for the official WiiU-GC controller adapter.

Where can I find the sources?
https://code.google.com/p/nintendon-t/

Is there a compatibility list?
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Nintendont_Compatibility_List

Is there a cache file repository?
https://github.com/thedax/nintendont-gamecaches
http://gbatemp.net/threads/looking-for-some-cache-txt-for-nintendont-ask-here.367712/

Useful links:

https://twitter.com/crediar
http://www.youtube.com/user/crediar

m playing resident evil 2 with my ps4 controller and everything works perfect except one little annoying thing. I like to use the dpad when playing resident evil and to run in the game I have to hold down "square" which acts like the "B" button on a gamecube controller. The problem is when I hold "square" the dpad no longer works. If I use the analog holding "square" to run works. I know its not a big issue but to me its annoying because the older resident evil games are hard to control with the analog. I keep running right into zombies. Please help me.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m playing resident evil 2 with my ps4 controller and everything works perfect except one little annoying thing. I like to use the dpad when playing resident evil and to run in the game I have to hold down "square" which acts like the "B" button on a gamecube controller. The problem is when I hold "square" the dpad no longer works. If I use the analog holding "square" to run works. I know its not a big issue but to me its annoying because the older resident evil games are hard to control with the analog. I keep running right into zombies. Please help me.
Why did you post the exact same thing after I gave you an answer? Please avoid spamming the thread with the same posts. We have over 10k posts people have to search through already.

JaeLinx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply use HIDtest to remap your buttons to however you like

this is one of the advantages of Nintendont compared to dios mios and devolution

I dont know how to use HIDtest properly. When I open it a bunch of numbers and letters are going crazy then I have to unplug my system to shut it down. Would remapping the controller help with the dpad not working while holding down "square" ? If so please tell me how to do it or point me in the correct direction.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know how to use HIDtest properly. When I open it a bunch of numbers and letters are going crazy then I have to unplug my system to shut it down. Would remapping the controller help with the dpad not working while holding down "square" ? If so please tell me how to do it or point me in the correct direction.

You need to learn how to use it to make your own controller.ini files

link on the OP

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
you can buy a small $1 usb extension online and plug the y-cable into the front

You know you quoted me while it was him who asked the question, right ? :P
But yeah, an extention cable is a good compromise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: @Xdqwerty the age on your profile is real? if yes i am twice as old....i am old...:cry: