Hacking Nintendont

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I mean a patch/fix to fix games that suffer from heavy frame rate issues

I know EXACTLY what you mean, Devolution makes multiplayer "single race" in Rush 2049 on "Midway Arcade Treasures 3" actually be playable - on the GameCube 2 players has random hiccups which just gets annoying and 3 players just runs at like half speed the entire time. In Devolution 2 players is darned near FLAWLESS while 3 players runs at actual playable speeds.

Either way, that improved framerate "patch/fix" is actually just a side effect of how Devolution works since AFAIK it just patches the necessary GameCube code to run with Wii equivalents, much like WINE on Linux does. It's my understanding that it's not much different from the official GameCube to Wii ports that were made of various games, if in fact any different at all. In fact before Devolution was released tueidj himself stated that he didn't think this "feature" of running at full Wii speeds would make a noticeable difference in game performance.

Reactions: the_randomizer

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I can't wait for the release of this to be able to pack my Wii down/sell it/whatever without any concerns and only need the Wii U for all my GC/Wii gaming needs.

However, there's one thing I'm wondering. The first post says it won't be using memory card emulation, but NMM. Isn't NMM memory card emulation?
Anyway, NMM doesn't seem to work very well at all for me. I've tried it in DIOS MIOS, and not a single game worked correctly with it. They were unable to detect (or read) the memory card, and when I chose to not use a memory card in Mario Kart DD, the game crashed in the middle of a Grand Prix. I don't know if that's an issue with DIOS MIOS in general, but I'm guessing it was NMM that caused it.
So NMM needs quite a bit of improvement before it can replace an actual Wii with an actual memory card...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know EXACTLY what you mean, Devolution makes multiplayer "single race" in Rush 2049 on "Midway Arcade Treasures 3" actually be playable - on the GameCube 2 players has random hiccups which just gets annoying and 3 players just runs at like half speed the entire time. In Devolution 2 players is darned near FLAWLESS while 3 players runs at actual playable speeds.

Either way, that improved framerate "patch/fix" is actually just a side effect of how Devolution works since AFAIK it just patches the necessary GameCube code to run with Wii equivalents, much like WINE on Linux does. It's my understanding that it's not much different from the official GameCube to Wii ports that were made of various games, if in fact any different at all. In fact before Devolution was released tueidj himself stated that he didn't think this "feature" of running at full Wii speeds would make a noticeable difference in game performance.

So would games like Crash Bandicoot the Wrath of Cortex actually not have a shoddy framerate? That port was botched pretty bad framerate-wise.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would games like Crash Bandicoot the Wrath of Cortex actually not have a shoddy framerate? That port was botched pretty bad framerate-wise.
The GameCube version of Midway Arcade Treasures 3 was criticized for having framerate issues to the point of affecting its review scores - there's a reason I keep using that game as my go-to example of how Devolution improved framerates and game performance. :P

But there's nothing at all saying whether or not NintenDon't will have the same thing.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GameCube version of Midway Arcade Treasures 3 was criticized for having framerate issues to the point of effecting its review scores - there's a reason I keep using that game as my go-to example of how Devolution improved framerates and game performance. :P

But there's nothing at all saying whether or not NintenDon't will have the same thing.

So I take that as a yes, Devolution fixes The Wrath of Cortex's speed issues, right?

I really should give the program a go

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I take that as a yes, Devolution fixes The Wrath of Cortex's speed issues, right?
I can't say for absolute sure because a couple games fully or partially ran at 1.5x speed in older versions of Devolution due to the same function that would cause the smoother framerate, so that "performance feature" is disabled or at least reduced for said games.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say for absolute sure because a couple games fully or partially ran at 1.5x speed in older versions of Devolution due to the same function that would cause the smoother framerate, so that "performance feature" is disabled or at least reduced for said games.

Dang, I was really hoping that game would actually run at it's intended speed. Oh well :P Maybe Nintendon't will have a similar feature.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, I was really hoping that game would actually run at it's intended speed. Oh well :P Maybe Nintendon't will have a similar feature.
Hey, it still might! I didn't expect such a thing to happen with Midway Arcade Treasures 3 until someone else said that Devolution can improve framerates, and even then I don't think anyone realized that it could improve performance THAT MUCH until I starting "preaching" about it.

Heck I even left a relatively-lengthy comment in the "Notes" for MAT3 on Devolution's compatibility wiki specifically saying how the performance was improved to the point of actually enabling certain multiplayer gameplay modes to actually be playable.

EDIT: I mean, normally an improved framerate is just one of those nice things to have but to actually have it be improved to the point of essentially enabling the use of more functionality is something that I feel is extremely notable.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, it still might! I didn't expect such a thing to happen with Midway Arcade Treasures 3 until someone else said that Devolution can improve framerates, and even then I don't think anyone realized that it could improve performance THAT MUCH until I starting "preaching" about it.

Heck I even left a relatively-lengthy comment in the "Notes" for MAT3 on Devolution's compatibility wiki specifically saying how the performance was improved to the point of actually enabling certain multiplayer gameplay modes to actually be playable.

Now I just need to buy a used copy of the game again :D

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country

Seriously? lol even loading times take MUCH less time in Devolution than it does in Mios.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I just need to buy a used copy of the game again :D
Beware! From looking at the history of Devolution's compatibility wiki page, it looks like Wrath of Cortex WAS indeed one of the games that ran too fast:
r168 EUR - http://wiki.gbatemp.net/w/index.php?title=Devolution_Compatibility_List&oldid=46360#C
r196 EUR - http://wiki.gbatemp.net/w/index.php?title=Devolution_Compatibility_List&oldid=46395#C
r197 USA - http://wiki.gbatemp.net/w/index.php?title=Devolution_Compatibility_List&oldid=46884#C

It may be a good idea to try to contact one of the two users that added the game to the compatibility list in the first place:
WoC EUR - "OneUp"
WoC USA - "Kp_centi"

At the same time you should probably ask in the main Devolution topic in regards to the framerate and performance in Wrath of Cortex. If you need an old pre-timing fix revision for reference, you can download r169 here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7beb8cc7bqq40pc/Devolution_r169.zip

Reactions: kp_centi

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't confirm for I don't own the GCN version legally but I read in the Devolution page people claiming it ran at perfect speed, I can however confirm that Sonic Heroes multiplay runs fine in Devolution with stable frame rate.

The game should be 60 fps (like the PS2 version), but fluctuated between 55-60 inconsistently. It was a botched port, maybe I should try it on Devolution anyway. Then on Nintendon't once that's out :P

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game should be 60 fps (like the PS2 version), but fluctuated between 55-60 inconsistently
Geez, that's it? In Rush 2049 on MAT3 whenever there was slowdown the game would run at like half speed, and that was even for only the inconsistent and random hiccups that would happen with 2 players in "single race".

If I didn't use a Trinitron CRT for gaming I would probably even make a video showcasing the difference.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Geez, that's it? In Rush 2049 on MAT3 whenever there was slowdown the game would run at like half speed, and that was even for the inconsistent and random hiccups that would happen with 2 player.

If I didn't use a Trinitron CRT for gaming I would probably even make a video showcasing the difference.

It's still pretty unstable as it never stays consistent, but it drives me crazy and even docked points from the magazines that reviewed it. The Gamecube has had some very solid ports (Soul Calibur 2, etc), but Naughty Dog don goofed. :lol: Here's to hoping Crediar's program has a similar feature to fix up games like that.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Geez, that's it? In Rush 2049 on MAT3 whenever there was slowdown the game would run at like half speed, and that was even for only the inconsistent and random hiccups that would happen with 2 players in "single race".

What the? 55 fps? What were you smocking? The game runs at 20 fps on GCN while on PS2 and Xbox runs at stable 60 fps, I own it on three consoles (GCN is not legal).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night