Nintendo, You Have a Very Serious Problem.

Do you approve of Nintendo's direction as of late?

• Total voters

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I'm sorry but there's limited edition when you have a few weeks or months to get your hands on something then there's limited edition where 99.9% of people can't buy the Nintendo products they want and it's not just one thing it's everything worth buying. So they're making every item worth getting unavailable. Yeah, that sounds like a sound business plan.
It's a business in mind for scalpers to take advantage of. Nintendo's doing fuck all to make their products available in mass quantities for customers who'd want to purchase just to, you know, own it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Don't tell me people are actually going out of their way to defend Nintendo of America's shitty handling of its marketing are they? I hope to hell not.

No, not really. But you've got to admit this forum is pretty retarded at times.

1) there's a live thread about how nintendo isn't going to ship 20 millions wiius by 2019. general trend in that trend as well as on other threads: "oh, noes! Nintendo is doomed. They don't sell enough stuff!"

2) there's this thread about the bloody company selling TOO MUCH amiibo's. General trend: "oh, noes! Nintendo is doomed. They sell too much stuff!"

It's pretty clear they underestimated the popularity of those plastic dolls. Yes, it's a problem, but just a short-term one. I bet by this time next year we'll be drowning in those things.

As for the new non-XL 3DS not going to America...seriously? Start a petition where people pledge to buy the thing. If you'll get enough people interested, I bet they'll listen. Except that you WON'T get enough people interested because they'll just go for the XL variant (assuming they upgrade in the first place). There's not much point in having more choice available if nearly everyone will choose the same thing in the end.

Reactions: the_randomizer

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, not really. But you've got to admit this forum is pretty retarded at times.

1) there's a live thread about how nintendo isn't going to ship 20 millions wiius by 2019. general trend in that trend as well as on other threads: "oh, noes! Nintendo is doomed. They don't sell enough stuff!"

2) there's this thread about the bloody company selling TOO MUCH amiibo's. General trend: "oh, noes! Nintendo is doomed. They sell too much stuff!"

It's pretty clear they underestimated the popularity of those plastic dolls. Yes, it's a problem, but just a short-term one. I bet by this time next year we'll be drowning in those things.

As for the new non-XL 3DS not going to America...seriously? Start a petition where people pledge to buy the thing. If you'll get enough people interested, I bet they'll listen. Except that you WON'T get enough people interested because they'll just go for the XL variant (assuming they upgrade in the first place). There's not much point in having more choice available if nearly everyone will choose the same thing in the end.

This thread is more about how Nintendo's recent behaviour with "limited quantity" items is questionable, and nothing to do with Nintendo being doomed. Quite the opposite in fact; they should be making bucketloads of money off of their new gold mine.
Also, I don't understand that last part. I'd understand it more if other regions weren't getting it, but NoA is literally the only major region not receiving a choice.
It's also silly to think that they shouldn't sell the smaller model, just because, supposedly, "people aren't interested (which, by the way, people are interested. You can check out the backlash of the N3DSXL only with a simple Google search). If they had sold the smaller model even in, once again, limited quantities, that would've meant that they were listening to their fanbase, leading in turn to more customers/loyal customers. It's a big mess on their part.

Reactions: chavosaur

back25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gbatemp is saying 3ds online infrastructure is bad, really? I guess you must have wanted different headers for each game and account tied digital games so you can't play .cia safely online, right? Or perhaps you wanted something instable as PSN or halo MCC?

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, I don't care about limited amiibos, I don't care about limited edition consoles, and I don't care about New N3DSXL being the only available one in the americas, because well, silly Nintendo people, they probably take very seriously the fact that they don't want to be like the other companies,or smoked some good weed, BUT HOLY *** WITH A **** WITH SANDWICH!!!!, WHY the heck they have to omit a basic, nain, ESSENTIAL accessory like a charger with the excuse that is "cheaper" and "most buyers already have 1??? what about the newcomers? they already have problems providing it or someone must be swimming in dirty money that comes from cheapass knockoff chargers that probably make the things explode. smartassphones come with little chargers and USB chargers despite being commonplace nowadays (or more like they are common because of it) . Reggie needs to stop tripping balls man, seriously.

If they at least leave a way to stuck a USB cable for the sole purpose to charge like they did with the Wii U Pro controller....that would be a wiser move.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The criticism on the post shows where nintendo can definitely improve over competition.

But all in all games matter more than anything and nintendo excels when it comes to exclusives and new ways to interact with games.

Reactions: Xabring

purupuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Tailweaver I'd be happy to import a n3ds at the higher price BUT Nintendo region locked it and to make matters worse the stores in Japan can"t even get the no. 55 faceplate that I want soooo this goes a lot deeper than not being able to buy a gold painted plastic doll.

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
The criticism on the post shows where nintendo can definitely improve over competition.

But all in all games matter more than anything and nintendo excels when it comes to exclusives and new ways to interact with games.

AND that's why it's worth all this trouble, the games. I'm still baffled why they omit the damn charger but I'll buy the N3DSXL anyway, because it's the only place you can "hoo haa" the shit out of noobs and pros alike online and trade pokemon you got since the GBA times, defeat an army of soldiers with a farmer and it's cronies, and specially, play the damn Monster Hunter 4 as it should be. with the C-Stick.

Reactions: netovsk

Canadacdn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with all of your criticisms here, good article. It's a pity no one from Nintendo will ever read it. I personally can't stand Amiibo and see it as nothing more than $15 DLC. It's evidence that Nintendo no longer knows how to lead in this market, and instead is just trying to follow Activision and Disney Interactive to a big trough of Skylanders money.

They're a business first and foremost, and will only react once their shareholders start losing returns from their poor decision making. If you don't like their new hardware, don't buy it. If you hate their clunky, ancient online infrastructure and baffling DRM, don't buy things from the eshop. It's the only thing they will understand.

Reactions: TemplarGR

Starhowl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
They should've introduced trading cards with NFC instead. Each card can be scanned by your 3DS or Wii U only once. Since you buy booster packs of 15, you will have some cards double. Taking them with you to school grounds, you will get together and create a 'magical' nintendo circle of friends.

anyway. it's not too late to get rid of pokemon and amiibo, and introduce trading cards instead.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ah, if only I could actually make money out of consoles. Oh wait. I have a few Zelda editions consoles (the 3DS are even hackable!). Guess how many moneys I can get for these? More than I paid for them new.

Limited consoles are useful and good, if there is a reason for the limitation. Most of the covers are nice paint jobs, but nowhere near a reason why they should be limited in any way. As the world is going more and more towards mass customization, Nintendo should jump the band wagon and do just that. Locally customizable consoles. I'd pay a bit extra for a custom shell design, especially if it wasn't supply oriented. It would kill the scalpers as there would be no shortage and it would still keep collector's value since you can always store your custom console away from external damage..

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The amiibo thing is just something that happens with toys in general. The whole distribution system is just fucked up.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to burst bubbles here, but those calling out Ryu as bitching over plastic toys that Nintendo didn't anticipate as being too popular to keep up with demand, need have a quick reality check.

Have you seen Nintendo stock of AMIIBO at stores? As someone who works logistics at target, let me tell you how the scarcity works.

We got a shipment in of wave 3, which included, for an ENTRE STORE:
4 toon links
4 shieks
64 BOWSERS
12 MORE MARIOS ON TOP OF THE ONES WE CANT GET RID OF
32 MORE PIKACHUS
18 Roaslinas, a fucking store exclusive, which btw, target has already been informed we will never receive a restock of.

So you tell me, where the manufacturing/popularity factor is here, when Nintendo is perfectly capable of continually manufacturing hundreds of Marios and Links and Pikachus, and thinks it's only prudent to make 4 of a character like Shiek available, that we sometimes will never even see a restock of?

And that is for Target. I cannot even imagine how Gamestop deals with this shit, especially considering the fact that, people will PRE-ORDER these items, which don't get manufactured until months later, and people will somehow LOSE their preorders of a lesser known character because there "weren't enough made?!" They weren't even made yet! If anything, you make available stock to meet those fucking demands, especially if people have a will to PAY for the item.

Stores typically order enough of a product to meet preorder demand, that's how it works with fucking games, you're telling me the same can't be said for plastic figures?

I'd love to see that explained, when I have never heard of an instance of a Disney Infinity character disappearing off of shelves due to the fact that they "can't meet demand."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: morning fellas, it's my birthday