Nintendo working on a Zelda adaptation for smartphones, according to WSJ

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, May 15, 2017.

1. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

Jun 29, 2007
    Argentina
    Germany
    Oh, even Iwata came back from the dead for the microtransactions. Sure they like the smell of money being printed /s

rileysrjay and Dr.Hacknik like this.

2. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I'm fine with it. I expect it to be along the lines of Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes, either a one-time buy or a f2p game with some kind of recurring purchases. Maybe an infinite roguelike with the classic Zelda top-down view?

3. Shawnj

Shawnj Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    Los Angeles
    There's a hacked version of it which unlocks everything you can get through Cydia Impactor on iOS (without a jailbreak for a week every time you sign it) or permenantly install it on a jailbroken device. So much for online accounts being a hinderance.

4. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Either way, the smartphone user will have to pay shit ton of money to get tiny bit content compare to a game on console and they will still happily take it because it don't need money in the beginning.

5. swabbo

swabbo Wot u doin readin dis m8?

Mar 9, 2011
    East Yorkshire/ A Bin
    You forgot the massive paywall, you get the first x levels free and have to pay for y amount more levels

6. skullkeeper94

skullkeeper94 Professional USB Corrupter

Jun 21, 2016
    United States
    We might as well bring the whole Nintendo franchise in here! Hell, c'mon Ice Climbers, and you too, Donkey Kong Country!

We're dying...

7. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Link Run for iOS.

8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    i wouldn't really call 10 bucks massive, even though its a lot when you compare it to ad-ridden free/99cent apps

9. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    The Phantom Hourglass was proof that this could work and work quite well.

10. WooHyun

WooHyun GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2015
    Yeah! They gotta release Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks sequal and maybe remaster as well. They play amazing on DraStic.

11. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    not to start anything (as im sure peeps who love zelda will refuse this).

but if youve played skyrim and botw you can see what nintendo was trying to do, but falls short.

i dont understand "first zelda" it was a top down side map scroller action adventure game.

The thing with skyrim is its open world, you source weapons, food and clothes..... which is what you get in botw.

Some things i find skyrim does that nintendo didnt is upgrade system for weapons, upgrade links abilities etc.

BOTW just felt like a massive open map with random enemies and endless shrines, 4 divine beasts and a final boss, side mission.

I didnt think id like Skyrim but i thought id give it a try and could see straight away the direction nintendo was aiming for but didint quite get there, and i am actually enjoying skyrim a lot, ive been playing it solid for the past week and still feels like theres loads to do, BOTW got bored during first week and thought fuck it and killed ganon.

again, i am not after starting a fanboy war, if you disagree and have a different opinion then your entitled to it as i am my own, if you dont like someone elses opinion then do not quote me with your counter opinion.

12. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    Yeah just like fantasy life it's going to be unknown.

13. KlasseyKreations

KlasseyKreations photon readings negative

Feb 20, 2017
    Hyrule
    Sounds cool, but concept-wise, i dont know man, like mario run? no thanks, mario was ok, but i dont wanna see link running and jumping over obstacles, nope, never, no thank you, goodbye, hasta la vista

Last edited by KlasseyKreations, May 16, 2017
  14. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Everything except the Fire Emblem part, replaced with either LTTP/Minish Cap/Link Between Worlds graphics.

15. dontay0100

dontay0100 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    - I'm always down for some more Zelda, even though I still have a couple I need to beat.

Darkyose likes this.