Nintendo working on a Zelda adaptation for smartphones, according to WSJ

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, May 15, 2017.

1. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Seeing how nintendo does things on their own systems, I doubt they'll ever settle on just a single formula. At best they have a single monetization method, which probably gives their marketing nightmares right now (face it: they can't charge the normal 40/50 bucks because it's about ten times the average price on mobile, and they probably can't lower the average price without sacrificing quality).

It's just the way it goes. Why do you think coca cola still advertises? It's not like there's anyone on the planet left who has never heard of it. No...they do it to keep the brand name fresh in people's memories. And what better to warm people to the flavor than a free sample?

Same here: not everyone will have a nintendo console, but mobile phones are everywhere. Nintendo smartphone games are sure to raise brand awareness. And that pays off in the future.

It's just...who said anything of these games being bullshit? Mario run isn't bad no matter what mobile game you compare it to, and pokémon go's popularity even made local news.

2. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Yeah nintendo, work on that instead of something for your actual dedicated handheld system. Especially big name titles. I swear, if they make a proper metroid only for phones, it will firmly solidify my hate for the decisions they make. Fuck this mobile shit.

3. Darkyose

Darkyose Mysterious

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Home Alone Somewhere.
    I hope they don't ruin this...

4. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Zelda is one Nintendo franchise that I don't think would make for a good mobile phone game. Fire Emblem made sense, Super Mario Run is a good idea too. Of course Pokemon Go is brilliant for what it is. But I just can't see a good mobile phone adaptation working for the Zelda series. I mean I'll see what they come up with, but my expectations are low.

5. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Nintendo, please stop making these titles that don't quite fit a touchscreen and just make Advance Wars already :(

6. jamezfat

jamezfat GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2016
    United States
    Still stuck in 2009...
    I swear if the 2d zelda games become mobile exclusives, I will cry

7. Bladexdsl
    This message by Bladexdsl has been removed from public view by Minox, May 15, 2017, Reason: GBAtemp isn't an imageboard.
    May 15, 2017
  8. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Bleh. Please not auto-scrolling, card packing, gem matching, location based, pokemon-go-esk, mobile game garbage. If it's something fresh I'll give it a go.

tbb043 likes this.
  9. coinblock

coinblock GBAtemp Regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Undoubtedly featuring microtransactions and DRM.

10. ComicSANS

ComicSANS Comic sans

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Florida
    Zelda Rhythm game.

11. Justin14p

Justin14p GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2016
    Poland
    Super Zelda Link Run

12. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    This could be an app, a Link's crossbow training or this.

[​IMG]

13. Bonestorm

Bonestorm GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    Midgar, Sector 5
    BOTW is better than Skyrim. Also i don't see how BOTW tried to copy Skyrim? by being open world? you do understand the first Zelda ever was open world right? so who copied who? kids these days..

14. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    1) Better keep some band-aids handy before you cut yourself on all that edge.

2) What does Skyrim have to do with phone games, anyway? It's a PC/console game

15. pandavova

pandavova @pandavova FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER

Oct 27, 2015
    Germany
    Windows 10 Pro
    inb4 zelda_breath_of_the_wild_virus.apk

supermario18 and lcie nimbus like this.
  16. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Endless glider inc.

17. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    well i hope they actually make something half-assed good out of this

Last edited by lcie nimbus, May 15, 2017
  18. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    This. A Zelda game with a virtual d-pad/analogue stick just wouldn't work too well and it would take too much space for making a grand game.

After the backlash Nintendo got for Mario Run (being "too expensive") they're going with the Freemium way.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Nintendo's probably developing a Mario Kart for Android/iOS and likely to be named "Mario Kart Run."

The auto-steering, auto-run and w/e from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be taken and put into it.

19. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Knight of Void

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Land of Darkness and Bounty
    A nightmare. Thus far Nintendo's games are true examples on how not to handle mobile games:
    • Always online required.
    • Requires the signing up of YET another account, unless you already have a NNID.
    • Asinine concepts, even though they could be good (Super Mario Runs needless additional building).
    • Consistently feature iAP or 'free demos'. No Nintendo, I want to either pay full price up-front for your games ONCE, or just make them free completely. No shitty iAP or fake 'free demos'. (Note, with 'free demos' I'm talking about "Full game is an iAP for the listed game". Just add another listing to the App Store, you're a multi-billion dollar company, I'm sure you can afford the 100$ needed).
    In short, Nintendo is about as shitty as most mobile devs. And I had such high hopes for them :(.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  20. PaBo

PaBo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Gambia, The
    point me to just one working backup of mario run then... scrub. educate yourself before spewing bullshit!

21. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    All aboard the Micro-Transaction train!

Toot-toot

lcie nimbus, pandavova and Darkyose like this.