lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yes it does i don't know what they guy was talking about, and im sure someone will think of a way to dump movies onto the wii somehow. I mean if u want a dvd player buy one, and if you want a game machine the think same applies.....why would anyone want a game machine that is made for moveis?

We live in a future technology many technology are improving...
do you like Gadgets?

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
With HD-DVD and Blu-Ray coming in who wants to play DVDs.  Besides I don't really play dvds these days its all xvid.  When you can buy a dvd player so cheap why put wear and tear on the Wii laser.

Exactly, why kill your Wii laser when you can get a $10-20 dvd-player(or a free one in many cases..) if you don't already have one, it's not like it takes up much space. At my home we have to have atleast 15 devices that can play DVD's, and I havn't even played a DVD here in years.

umm?..you guys don have to play dvd on your wii (if there a dvd playback) but some people might do..
beside if you have a warranty with nintendo they can take up to 2 years repair.

while buy a cheap dvd-player and having your DVD laser kill, etc.... , i'll save up and buy my self a new wii game's with that money.
wink2.gif
or put it on wii warranty (with dvd playback).. playing wii game over time and could have your laser kill anyway.

i dont know why? you guy going about just buy a cheap dvd player reason of cheap to buy, etc..
and even soo if dvd player are to cheap to buy why nintendo can't put that in the console?

it just a base dvd feature?
wacko.gif
my old ps2 could do that dvd things.
blink.gif

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
really the only cool feature for dvd playback imo would have been navigating menus with the wand , but comon who doesn't have a dvd player? or 3??
$20 from walmart will get you a dvd player. its better this way. less wear and tear on the beautiful new wii optical drive.

skywarp

Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
umm?..you guys don have to play dvd on your wii (if there a dvd playback) but some people might do..
beside if you have a warranty with nintendo they can take up to 2 years repair.

Yes, but we would all still have to pay for it. Not everyone wants the Wii to be $270 just so they can stick DVD movies into yet another thing in their house.

Scorpin200

Iceman
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Didn't everyone already answer this question? nintendo makes games only if that is too difficult to understand then there really is no point to this topic.
unsure.gif

Grrr here is a simple answer buy a dvd player and watch movies while come nov 19 me a million others will be playing the wii
smile.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm puttin' my mac mini beside mine. They're gonna be so cute together
wub.gif

and it plays dvds, divx, etc...

Maybe Nintendo's NEXT next console will be a full blown media center, and you can plug your brain into it and all that crap.
happy.gif

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
First off the DVD-players they put in gaming consoles plainly suck, they're not near the same quality as the ones you can get as stand-alone. I believe the same will apply to these new formats. The Blu-ray in the PS3 and the HD-DVD addition to the xboxO will most likely be pretty crappy compared to the ones you can get as stand-alones.

Bottom line: I'm kind of glad they didn't put any extra effort/costs trying to have a (crappy) DVD-player in the Wii.

orangedrink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats dumb. i dont even know why people care that there is no dvd player on the wii. everyone already has one. shit i have like 5 at my house. i nor does anyone else need another.

Qpido

Call me Q.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
What's the big problem, you talk you wanna make some space on ur desk, throw the damn DVD player out, and watch it on ur PC!

Q~

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The gamecube is based on DVD and thus you can fit a cube game onto a mini DVD.

EDIT: The disc size was in the official specs list released awhile ago.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First off the DVD-players they put in gaming consoles plainly suck, they're not near the same quality as the ones you can get as stand-alone. I believe the same will apply to these new formats. The Blu-ray in the PS3 and the HD-DVD addition to the xboxO will most likely be pretty crappy compared to the ones you can get as stand-alones.

Bottom line: I'm kind of glad they didn't put any extra effort/costs trying to have a (crappy) DVD-player in the Wii.

I've used the dvd players in both my xbox and ps2 and I found they were as good as the stand alone ones.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh got a standard player and a recordable one and then theres the xbox so really no loss.

I know that the Wii can play camcorder video from a SD card, whats the possibility of playing other vids?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I normally use a laptop/PC for DVD anyhow: I have a nice screen, some decent postprocessing and the fact I am missing out on prohibited user operations and Region coding is ever so nice. To this end the lack of DVD playback on the Wii really does not bother me.

I still have no desire for a launch Wii and when I do get one (I usually get all the consoles sooner or later, normally later) I would rather not fork out for the MPEGLA to do whatever they do (one of the reasons for the PS3's insane price is the blue ray license required) and get a subpar DVD player back:
I have seen cheapo (as in the price of 2 new DVD's cheap) supermarket DVD players beat the XBox/PS2 players hands down, for starters they come with a remote control.

As for the who cares as Blue Ray/HD- DVD are coming I will think of a witty retort when I stop laughing (which may take a while).

@hadrian even if conventional video playback is not possible (at first) then it is quite easy to fake camcorder footage, it would just be a matter of using the correct standards and containers for which there are loads of free pieces of software to accomplish the task.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2