Nintendo Video Server Spoofing

Thanks to user popoffka for laying the groundwork and figuring it out first, and writing up the 3DBrew article on Nintendo Video. See here and here.

Spoofing the Nintendo Video server will allow users in unsupported countries who get the message "The Nintendo Video service is not available in your location. You cannot download videos." to download and view videos within the Nintendo Video app. Also, it allows users such as myself who can already receive videos to view videos from other countries. HOWEVER, you can only view videos from the same region as you, ie EU, US or JP. So for example, I live in the UK, I can download videos from Germany but US videos will not work. The video files are region protected.

Before you start, you may need to change the region setting on your 3DS to match the country whose video files you wish to view. Find this setting in "System Settings", "Other Settings", "Profile", "Region Settings".

A quick summary of what we will achieve:

1) Download the video files you wish to watch from the Nintendo server.
2) Set up an HTTP server to host the video files.
3) Set up a DNS server to redirect the Nintendo Video app to download the videos from your server.
4) Route the 3DS through your DNS server.
5) Download and view the videos on your 3DS.

1) Download the video files you wish to watch from the Nintendo server

Firstly, you want to get hold of the video files. Check this link for the format of URL to use and figure out the correct links to download the videos you wish to view. The COUNTRYCODE determines which country you are going to download your videos from, and the LANGUAGECODE depends on what language you have your 3DS set to. You can download videos from any country where they are available and in any language, but remember only videos from your region will work. As an example, the link to the first UK video is:
Code:
http://pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net/1/110/1/ESP_MD1
Where 110 is the COUNTRYCODE for the UK and the 1 after that is the LANGUAGECODE which corresponds to English. For Germany it is:
Code:
http://pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net/1/78/3/ESP_MD1
For America it is:
Code:
http://pubus-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net/1/49/1/ESE_MD1

These are just examples, you can figure out the links for any supported country by following the format specified in the 3DBrew article.

Now, if you're in an unsupported country, you will not be able to download from these links, you will see an "Access Denied" page. If you're downloading the US videos, use the Hide My Ass! web proxy server, otherwise to fix this, download and install this Firefox extension. Once it is installed, you will see a little red icon on the bottom right of your Firefox window, click the arrow next to that and hit Configure, then make sure it looks like the following picture:

stealthy-options.png

Click OK on this and then click the little red icon and it should turn green. Now try your link. If it doesn't work, click the icon until it goes red, and then click it to green and try again. Every time you do this, the Stealthy extension cycles through different proxies, so eventually it will work and you will be able to download from your link. Now download the rest of the videos, there will be at most four and sometimes less.

Once you have downloaded the files, make sure you click the icon so it turns red again, we don't need to access the internet through a proxy anymore.

2) Set up an HTTP server to host the video files

You can use any HTTP server but I used Abyss Web Server as it is quick and easy to set up. Google it, download the setup file and install. The install is very easy, just keep clicking next until it asks you if you wish to start the web server and hit yes, a page will then open in your web browser. Choose your language, enter a username and password, and log in. Done!

For the next part this explanation is necessary.

When the Nintendo Video app attempts to fetch videos, it will decide where to fetch them from based on 3 things.

1) The region of your 3DS (EU, US or JP).
2) The country set in your 3DS region settings.
3) The language set on your 3DS.

So, figure out which URL YOUR 3DS will attempt to download from based on these things, again you can figure this out by following the format on this page. As a quick example, if your 3DS is:

An EU model - pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net
Region is set to the UK - COUNTRYCODE = 110
Language is set to English - LANGUAGECODE = 1

then when your 3DS attempts to download videos, put those three together and you can see it will attempt to download from the url
Code:
pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net/1/110/1

It is very important you figure out the URL that YOUR 3DS will attempt to download from, DO NOT SIMPLE COPY THIS EXAMPLE, unless your 3DS matches these conditions. This URL may be different from the one you downloaded the video files from originally.

Now all you need to do is browse to the Abyss Web Server installation, default location is C:\Abyss Web Server. In here will be a folder called htdocs. Make sure you are in this folder and then you need to create a series of nested folders to match the URL you have just figured out. This is everything AFTER pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net. So, in the above example, we need to make a folder named "1" (Without the quote marks). WITHIN this folder, we make another one named "110" and then within THIS folder we make a final folder named "1".

Put your downloaded video files in here and we are all done for this section.

htdocs-struct.png

3) Set up a DNS server to redirect the Nintendo Video app to download the videos from your server

For this section I chose Simple DNS Plus, it's the easiest DNS server to use and has a free 14 day trial.

Google it, download and install. Once you have it running, in the main window there is a "Records" button. Click on this, and in the window that pops up click on the "Quick Zone Wizard" button. In the "Zone Name" field, enter the domain that your 3DS will attempt to download from, based on the region of your 3DS. Following on from the earlier example, my 3DS will attempt to download from pubeu-p.est.c.app.nintendowifi.net so I enter that in this field. In the "Web server IP" field enter the IP address of your computer. Ignore the other two fields. It should look something like this:

dns-setup.png

If you don't know your IP address for the previous step, press the Windows key and R at the same time, in the box that pops up type "cmd". When the command prompt appears, type "ipconfig" and hit enter. Look for the entry matching your internet interface and next to "IPv4 Address" you can see your IP address.

4) Route the 3DS through your DNS server

Turn on your 3DS and open the "System Settings". Tap on "Internet Settings" then "Connection Settings" and then click on the connection corresponding to the network you are currently connected to. Tap on "Change Settings", scroll until you see "DNS" and tap that. Tap on "No" and then "Detailed Setup". Under both Primary and Secondary DNS, enter the IP address of your computer, then hit "OK" and "Save". If you pass the connection test you are good to go.

5) Download and view the videos on your 3DS

Open the Nintendo Video app and hit "Connectivity Check". With any luck, it will say that you are able to download videos and then start downloading the videos from your HTTP server. If there are any connection issues, check that your firewall is not blocking the connection, or temporarily turn it off.

IMPORTANT: Always make sure you run Abyss Web Server BEFORE you run Simple DNS Plus, or the server will not be able to listen on port 80 and will not work. When you restart your PC, Simple DNS Plus will run automatically, so shut it down, launch Abyss Web Server, and then launch Simple DNS Plus, or simply remove Simple DNS Plus from your startup entries.

cherryduck

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Google for a DNS server and guides on setting it up. Be warned however, other DNS servers are MUCH more complex to set up, and are not GUI based. If you find a free DNS server which is as or nearly as easy to use as Simple DNS Plus please let me know and I'll put it in the guide.

horhe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanks for this server spoofing guide...
however my simple dns has just expired, what other dns server can i use..?
i read in 3D brew about bind9, can someone knows about it..? hope you can share it, thanks in advance..!
biggrin.gif

Rayster

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, need a little assitance here. I already make Abyss Web Server and Simple DNS to work since I can connect my 3DS to my server using the method mentioned. My problem however, when I try to verify that I can download the videos, it says 'Please Wait' and it will return to the menu of 4 blank dotted box.

I'm using Abyss Server X1 and my Path directory is C:\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\1\49\1.

I also downloaded all the videos as follows:

ESE_MD1 - 35,211
ESE_MD2 - 26,736
ESE_MD3 - 49,265
ESE_MD4 - 3,579

And, I'm using a US 3DS. I'm wondering as how can I download the videos? It will show up the the blank boxes and can be downloaded? Or I can download it via SpotPass. Sorry, but this is my first time using this, and hopefully I can make it work.

Thanks!

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
from my experience, as soon as the Connection Check tells you that you can download content, it'll start asking the NinVideo server for available downloads. You'll know downloads are starting once you see the blue progress bar. as soon as that bar fills, the app refreshes and after that the videos show up. if you get to the progress bar but no vids show up, expect your video files to be incomplete/corrupt/interrupted. you'll probably need to redownload them.

also, i dunno if any of you guys have noticed, but apparently the app checks for URLs other than the server URL itself (specifically, it asks for conntest.nintendo.net or something to that extent. pretty much means you'll need a working internet connection even if you set up your own servers. kinda sucks for me to be unable to host offline.
frown.gif

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why in the world has Nintendo made this all necessary?!

It's not like we're talking about imported games. Why should I be prevented from downloading US region free content on my US region 3DS regardless of where I am?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
regnad said:
Why in the world has Nintendo made this all necessary?!

It's not like we're talking about imported games. Why should I be prevented from downloading US region free content on my US region 3DS regardless of where I am?
so said many many others before you, including me. and for the record, the contents are NOT region-free, technically. no cross regions, like US vids on EU 3DS, but yes it's stupid that US region 3DS can't access US content outside of NA/US ip addresses, and that definitely restricts access to content from outside those regions.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I guess I worded that wrong. I should have said free content from the US region.

My point is that viewing this US region material on my US region 3DS I legitimately bought in the US -- despite the fact that I live in Japan -- isn't going to cut into Nintendo's profits in any way since they're giving it away free to 3DS owners anyway.

There are arguments for having region encoding for games and DVD, most commonly to prevent importing in order to allow time for translation, or in order to sell products for what sellers deem a reasonable price regardless of currency exchange rates. It's a specious argument I feel, but whether or not it's valid, I can't seem to think of a single reason why Nintendo would regionally block access to FREE stuff accessed over the Internet -- and, even more ridiculous, is that they are blocking people from accessing material that matches the region of the 3DS unit. I don't get it.

Rayster

Trophies
XP
Country
ferofax said:
from my experience, as soon as the Connection Check tells you that you can download content, it'll start asking the NinVideo server for available downloads. You'll know downloads are starting once you see the blue progress bar. as soon as that bar fills, the app refreshes and after that the videos show up. if you get to the progress bar but no vids show up, expect your video files to be incomplete/corrupt/interrupted. you'll probably need to redownload them.

also, i dunno if any of you guys have noticed, but apparently the app checks for URLs other than the server URL itself (specifically, it asks for conntest.nintendo.net or something to that extent. pretty much means you'll need a working internet connection even if you set up your own servers. kinda sucks for me to be unable to host offline.
frown.gif

What proxy server are you using? I haven't seen any blue bars loading. All I can see are 4 blank boxes after the Connection Check that says I can download the videos from my environment. It's weird.

QuantumDot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have an issue. I've followed the instructions to the letter, only I used the US addresses, etc. My 3DS is from the US, with a US region set (Alabama). I'm in South Africa.

When I do a connection test, though, it says "Nintendo video is not available in your location."

As an alternative, is it possible to manually transfer the downloaded videos to the SD card?

nintendoom

Nintendoom
Trophies
XP
QuantumDot said:
I have an issue. I've followed the instructions to the letter, only I used the US addresses, etc. My 3DS is from the US, with a US region set (Alabama). I'm in South Africa.

When I do a connection test, though, it says "Nintendo video is not available in your location."

As an alternative, is it possible to manually transfer the downloaded videos to the SD card?
I think it is possible to do that.

Nubus-san

Trophies
XP
Country
Video server spoofing worked for me finally only after I moved the 3DS to a different subnet than my windows server. I dunno why. USA 3DS in Tokyo. :-D

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Rayster said:
ferofax said:

frown.gif

What proxy server are you using? I haven't seen any blue bars loading. All I can see are 4 blank boxes after the Connection Check that says I can download the videos from my environment. It's weird.
no proxy server, just that stealthy firefox extension. i use that to connect to the US url. if it tells me access denied, then i just turn it off and back on then hit F5 to refresh. rinse and repeat until i get the download dialogue box (which tells me the proxy connected) and i proceed to download vids from there.

if Connection Check says you can download just fine but no download proceeds, then i'd hazard a guess that there's something wrong with your HTTP server, maybe in directories, maybe something else. not sure though. even with incomplete files put in the proper directories, the Nintendo Video app will start downloading that and will show the blue progress bar on the panel corresponding to its filename (MD1 is top left, MD2 top right, MD3 bottom left, MD4 bottom right), but when it gets to the part that's incomplete, it'll just stop and the SD card won't update.

short version would be to recheck your HTTP server setup. if all else fails, just try again from scratch, but keep the vids in case you get the servers working. if you don't get to the part where download finishes and the app updates the SD card, then you'll know you have an incomplete video on your hands, so you'll have to download from the servers again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/