Hacking Nintendo to wave the ban hammer?

deadrabbit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just read this news item on maxconsole, I thought it may be interesting to some. Specifically the part about chipped wiis being banned from nintendo wfc in the future..

Is it just a scare tactic?

Maxconsole News Item

If any of this were to happen, would the trade off worth it for you? NWFC is hardly XBL!

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the xbox360 has a very sophisticated anti-piracy scheme, the wii does not. they can't ban anyone cuz they can't identify chips ;p

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
Unless the error 001 has been logged somewhere internally for those chip owners of course.......

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo's fan base is very tight, and Nintendo know this.

They lose less, per annum, than any other company within the games industry, through piracy.

Simple propaganda and scare tactics are enough for them.

In truth, no-one in the games industry really suffers from piracy ... ever been in a games store on a Saturday?

Timmyhawky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If they may ban us, we can reset the accounts, like with the DS
smile.gif

Well if they ban our IP... Proxy
frown.gif

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If they banned the MAC of the Wii then you would be screwed. But I agree with what thebobdevil said, M$ uses very high tech ways of banning consoles, The wii uses a drive chip. The most basic of modchips which at this moment in time cant be detected as most are only doing anything during the initialisation of the disk, after that they hibernate.
wink.gif

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:
metroid_phobia said:
thebobevil said:
It's just more propaganda.

I'm sick of seeing your posts with that word. I'm going to go nuts soon.

And I'm getting sick of people falling for the propaganda that companies spew out.

I think you're misusing the word "propaganda", propaganda is used to influence a large number of people, not 2% of all the Nintendo Wii owners, that happen to be pirates

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
awdofgum said:
thebobevil said:
metroid_phobia said:
thebobevil said:
It's just more propaganda.

I'm sick of seeing your posts with that word. I'm going to go nuts soon.

And I'm getting sick of people falling for the propaganda that companies spew out.

I think you're misusing the word "propaganda", propaganda is used to influence a large number of people, not 2% of all the Nintendo Wii owners, that happen to be pirates

Propaganda is used to try and influence people. Period.

There is no prescribed minimum number that it can be used to attempt to persuade or dissuade.

This particular article seems aimed at those considering modifying their Wii, rather than those who have already done so.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to detect a drive chip. So definitely propaganda.

They could detect trucha signed discs, altered system menus (like from the dual channel remover and wad patcher), and maybe(???)wiiscrubbed discs.

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
squirt1000 said:
If they banned the MAC of the Wii then you would be screwed. But I agree with what thebobdevil said, M$ uses very high tech ways of banning consoles, The wii uses a drive chip. The most basic of modchips which at this moment in time cant be detected as most are only doing anything during the initialisation of the disk, after that they hibernate.
wink.gif

can you describe/provide a link for the high tech ways M$ uses to detect and ban consoles ?
i'm not updated.. thanks

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Firstly, there's a topic somewhere else.
Secondly, why are you trusting MaxConsole? Biased news, dodgy tactics and over 2 days late.
Thirdly, Mario Kart obviously works.

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lou_weed said:
squirt1000 said:
wink.gif

can you describe/provide a link for the high tech ways M$ uses to detect and ban consoles ?
i'm not updated.. thanks

xbox-scene.com might be a good palce for you to start. very informative.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bob Loblaw said:
I'm pretty sure it's impossible to detect a drive chip. So definitely propaganda.

They could detect trucha signed discs, altered system menus (like from the dual channel remover and wad patcher), and maybe(???)wiiscrubbed discs.

This might be stupid but anyways,
Couldn't they release an update that searched for a modchip and then sends the data back to Nintendo?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
squirt1000 said:
If they banned the MAC of the Wii then you would be screwed.

Not really. Most wireless chipsets can have their MAC addresses changed on the hardware level.
And Nintendo ban your WFC ID, if they use the same method of banning Wii users as DS users. And that will be stored in the Wii's flash, of which there are ways of editing
ph34r.gif

Unbanning a DS is as easy as writing a new ID to the firmware

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
awdofgum said:
Bob Loblaw said:

This might be stupid but anyways,
Couldn't they release an update that searched for a modchip and then sends the data back to Nintendo?

The chips are modifications for the drive ... the drive is registered as external hardware to the Wii.

How much in the way of resources Nintendo would be willing to devote to this, I don't know ... but I can't see them going to all the time, effort & expenses, especially as piracy barely affects them.

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need anything complex to ban or keep out online players.

It's common on the PC for most pirated games to be unplayable due to altered exe. or inaccessible due to keycodes online. Nintendo can try something similar through wii updates.

I'll be glad if they do stop these people since I hate online cheaters. I wish they could do this for DS after what all cheaters did to Tetris and Mario Kart.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
HeatMan Advance said:
I'll be glad if they do stop these people since I hate online cheaters. I wish they could do this for DS after what all cheaters did to Tetris and Mario Kart.

Because everybody knows every single pirate uses cheats online to ruin the experience for other people.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: