Nintendo Switch's First Live Appearance, Running Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Dec 8, 2016.

1. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    The Switch is coming out a couple years after the XBONE, so more powerful technology is cheaper. Also the Switch doesn't have the cost of Blu Ray licensing fees, however much that may be.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.

2. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah that's fair. OTOH Switch is also considerably smaller so it's not like they could fit the same hardware from an XBONE in it. Which is why it all evens out in the end cost-wise.

3. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Funnily enough its cpu is much faster than jaguar so i have no fears of its power.

4. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah pound for pound you're definitely getting more power out of Nvidia hardware than AMD.

5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Doesn't have to fit the same hardware, it just needs to fit approximately equivalent hardware. ARM is optimized to be small but efficient, so I don't think we'll see any problems based on size (although there are 99 other ways Nintendo could fuck it up. I'm remaining optimistic but I'm setting my expectations low)

6. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N oh no

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Sixth Circle of Hell
    Everyone Else: Holy shit, Zelda BOTW footage on the Nintendo Switch!

Me: Holy shit, Miyamoto can play the guitar!

7. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    The fact that you are thinking of this as a handheld and not a home console *should* be worrying for Nintendo. Case in point: a buyer wants to buy the *best* version of a third-party game for playing on TV. Does the Switch get consideration? Probably not.

Do third-party developers enjoy having to cut down the features or capabilities in order to cater to the (likely) compromised 'hybrid market' approach Nintendo is offering? Probably not. Does it remind them of Wii U development headaches? Probably (or probably not). Of course there are more variables than this, but it sort of makes me ask who is really benefiting from this half-half appraoch? In the end we have a bigger portable (which some might go for but I think most will dislike) and we have a not-quite-there compromised home console and we have games on what-should-be more expensive cartridges.

Moving forward? If it is a portable, it's a bigger one with perhaps more graphical goodness that will really appeal to some users. But it definitely comes at a cost. This appraoch is filled with compromises.

With all that said, I don't know what else Nintendo have got in their bag to be 'different' this round. So I think they *must* be different again, even though it is filled with compromises & even though this basic Switch concept doesn't really get my juices flowing.

Last edited by foob, Dec 14, 2016
    geodeath likes this.
  8. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The Switch doesn't, but neither do either of the other consoles. PC wins out every time when it's a game available there. Anything else is just targeting 1080p, often at 30 FPS.

They won't have to cut anything down, worst case scenario Switch has to run games at medium settings instead of of high or at 30 FPS. It'll support all the major engines. It's Pascal.

9. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Fallacy. The definition of "best" is quite subjective. There are many qualities a buyer can take into consideration when he decides what is "best", and portability is a very valid one.

10. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Of course there are many definitions of 'best', that goes without saying.

For the sake of clarification: best visuals & sound, primarily for a user who does not care about portability. In other words, the typical home TV user. For those that do care about portability, the Switch offers them a lot of flexibility, even if it is just playing in another room while someone else watches TV. I think they might be stretching the definition of convenience and portability here, but we'll see. I'm still very iffy about the entire concept because - from what I can see so far - both areas seem to be notable compromises.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

A well-specced PC is usually several times the cost of a console. So, for the sake of this argument, I don't count the PC as a direct competitor to the Switch. The Xbox One and PS4 are typically seen at retail where the Switch will be seen; we will more-than-likely see them competing head-to-head for the wallets of the masses (at a similar price point).

Last edited by foob, Dec 15, 2016
  11. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    what the fuck is that?

12. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    depends on how you define "well-specced". If you mean a PC that's several times the power of a console, then sure. But you can also build a PC that's competitively priced. Or anything in between. Ultimately, the consumer can choose their ideal machine based on cost and performance.

13. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    He means it outclasses Spiderman, of course Bortz sure has a different opinion. /s
    (anyway, I don't know why people say this outperforms Nvidia Parker, sources?)

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Dec 15, 2016
  14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    so your telling me the switch is more powerful...than a car? :creep:

15. TheDarkGreninja

TheDarkGreninja How could you hate that face?

Aug 25, 2014
    On his bed
    Nvidias latest mobile chip.

It uses A73 which destroys denver. Its GPU is reported to be better as well

Well yes in a sense.

16. zac122

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    Lemme get this straight. The fact that I'm looking at a TABLET as a handheld device should worry Nintendo? The system is literally just a tablet. Even as a powerful tablet it's not a home console by any stretch of the imagination. If I was to attach my android phone to my TV by whatever means would that make IT a home console? No, and to say that it would do so would get me some looks suggesting I might have a banana growing out of my forehead. Just because Nintendo has given us a way to send the image to a TV bundled with the system doesn't make the tablet any more than a tablet. I concede your point about porting games, you're right. No Dev wants to massacre their game to make it work on a console with lower specs. As for the power we won't know for another month. It's best just to wait until the event in January to say any more on the power. The only compromise comes in when you look at it as a home console. In terms of a handheld it's super beefy. The price is the only thing that would hurt it as a handheld(I'll admit that a price point around $350 would be a bit much for a handheld. Any more than that and I'll be waiting until the price drops significantly)

17. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    @zac122 Let me ask you this: what defines a home console?

Last edited by grossaffe, Dec 15, 2016
  18. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Tbf 1) A phone isn't a console at all. 2) Even if it was "just handheld", being a handheld doesn't define price alone.

19. zac122

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    To me a home console is a box that can't be used without a monitor to hook it up to. This is a biased opinion formed by many years of gaming almost entirely on my laptop and handhelds. Imo anything that is played strictly on a TV is a home console. The wiiu was a godsend for me since I could play my games even though everyone else was watching stupid shows. But it still qualified as a home console because the gamepad was basically a portable monitor,and the wiiu itself is definitely a box(the box thing is more of a joke than anything, and has no bearing on the definition of home console). The switch doesn't fit this definition which I will admit is incredibly biased because of my personal experience with gaming. Still I don't think I'm wrong when I say a tablet isn't a home console.

20. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    So you, then, define a home console by its limitations rather than on it's capabilities.