Nintendo Switch's First Live Appearance, Running Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Dec 8, 2016.

1. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    In what way was the Wii U targeting the mobile market?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    take a look at the damned gamepad! they thought they could get all the ipad/phone casuals on board like they did with the wii casuals but it didn't work this time :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Dec 19, 2016
  3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    The Casuals(TM):
    "Ah yes, we should absolutely FLOCK towards this device that costs $300, is tethered to a home console, and was definitely designed specifically for us and in no way shape or form resembles any handheld console Nintendo has EVER released in the past, oh, decade or so!"

4. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I see no resemblance between the gamepad and the ipad other than the existence of a touchscreen, which Nintendo had been using in game long before the ipad or iphone ever existed. And the way it was used really had no relation to the way it is used on the ipad or iphone.

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Nah man, it has rounded corners.

6. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Oh, you're right. How much do you think they paid apple for that?

7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    can't see the truth even when it's right in front of you. wiiu FAILED because it was AIMED at tablets.

people who disagree V
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Dec 20, 2016
  8. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Well now that you've explained your position backed with evidence and reason rather than ad hominem, I'm convinced. :rolleyes:

9. player594

player594 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2006
    United States
    That is only your opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. Jacklack3

Jacklack3 OBJECTION!

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    Wright & Co. Law Offices
    That actually is a good point.

Well even if it did have a touch screen, you wouldn't be able to use it on the big TV making it a gimmick. And I think Nintendo is good with just having one gimmick right now which isn't even a gimmick. (by gimmick i mean the ability to switch between game styles)

11. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    I agree. I think they tried to get on the tablet bandwagon. But tablets got real cheap real quick and with better screen specs, cheap games, etc. I think that took a lot of the wind out of Nintendo's sails. That and the fact that people had developed negative associations with the Wii name (gimmicky games, shovelware, more traditional gamers mostly ignored, etc.). That's what I think anyway.

Miyamoto has said:
    "I feel like people never really understood the concept behind Wii U and what we were trying to do," he says. "I think the assumption is we were trying to create a game machine and a tablet and really what we were trying to do was create a game system that gave you tablet-like functionality for controlling that system and give you two screens that would allow different people in the living room to play in different ways. .... Unfortunately, because tablets, at the time, were adding more and more functionality and becoming more and more prominent, this system and this approach didn’t mesh well with the period in which we released it."

We hope that's an accurate translation. To me it's clear that Nintendo were clearly influenced by the emerging popularity of tablets when making the system. iPad was released in 2010, about 2.5 years before the Wii U was released. Tablets (especially Android tablets) started to get real cheap real quick, especially in the years following the Wii U's release. I think Nintendo weren't able to really capitalize on the 'cheap tablet' thing they had selling. Not anywhere close to what they had hoped.