Hardware Nintendo SWITCH uses cartridges. Possible flashcarts?

Polarise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So today we learned that the Nintendo SWITCH uses cartridges, I am hoping that there could be flashcarts like the R4 and the SKY3DS.

What do you think?

Faran Maqsood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Considering the size of games (and considering the fact that switch looks and is rumored to be more powerful than the wiiu at the least), wouldn't an exploit that lets us use USB HDD be a better alternative?

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something such as the Sky3DS will likely happen, since the rest of the hardware can't tell the difference between it and a real cartridge.

Don't get your hopes up for homebrew though.

Also, the basic cartridge was rumored to hold 32GB. Assuming there's a similar range between the Switch's starting cartridge and the maximum for DS and 3DS (with both have a 64x improvement), we could possibly see 2TB cartridges, so finding a suitable storage medium may be difficult.

Of course, the only things on a 2TB cartridge will be JRPGs and Pokemon.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the size of games (and considering the fact that switch looks and is rumored to be more powerful than the wiiu at the least), wouldn't an exploit that lets us use USB HDD be a better alternative?
Well, the 3DS scene started with flashcarts, then moved to installing internally, why should the Switch scene be any different?
Does it even have a USB port?
It has 2

Faran Maqsood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Well, the 3DS scene started with flashcarts, then moved to installing internally, why should the Switch scene be any different?

It has 2
I think that was the mainly because companies like Gateway and Sky3DS wanted a dongle solution to sell to customers so they could earn in return.
Don't get me wrong, I have a gateway myself and love it despite it's flaws but can you imagine a company selling you a flashcart that can hold 2-4 games on a 64GB SDXC card?

Faran Maqsood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Well, trimmed roms are definately going to happen. And a 64GB SD could only hold 1 32GB untrimmed ROM. A 32GB card could hold 0
That wasn't exactly my point. Increase in graphics fidelity means more space requirements. I'm not saying a flashcart will never be made, I'm just leaning more towards a usb solution because that would makes more sense to me as a consumer.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That wasn't exactly my point. Increase in graphics fidelity means more space requirements. I'm not saying a flashcart will never be made, I'm just leaning more towards a usb solution because that would makes more sense to me as a consumer.
Given that it's meant to be a partly portable device, I'm guessing software installs will be SD or microSD only. Of course, the sane can be said of the Wii.

Faran Maqsood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Given that it's meant to be a partly portable device, I'm guessing software installs will be SD or microSD only. Of course, the sane can be said of the Wii.
That's a really great point.The rumor mill has the switch pegged for a 32GB flash storage. So does that mean the storage would be on the handheld, the dock, or divided among the two?
I mean they are marketing it as a home console that you can take on the go so how is the storage being handled?

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a really great point.The rumor mill has the switch pegged for a 32GB flash storage. So does that mean the storage would be on the handheld, the dock, or divided among the two?
I mean they are marketing it as a home console that you can take on the go so how is the storage being handled?
Nintendo says that all the hardware is in the tablet itself, and the dock just provides the TV connection and charging. And obviously also the USB ports, but they don't seem to be officially acknowledged as being there.

Given that the system memory is only enough to hold one full size game though, I'm sure it has some method of expansion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1