Gaming Nintendo Switch Slim out Next Year OR 3DS Successor WTF!

Sheikah Impa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch will never....EVER be a replacement for a handheld system. It was never meant to be one in the first place. It can barely survive off of it's charger or out of it's dock. It's too clunky to be a handheld system, plus it's not accessible. You can't fit it in your pocket and to my knowledge it doesn't have any actual programs for on the go play. (Streetpass ect.) It's just what the Wii U wasn't. A console that you can play on your tv, and when you're done with the tv then decide take with you...But the radius is much further lol. If you don't take graphics and power into account, the 3ds still seems like more of a portable system then the switch. PLUS, the 3ds has been selling way better than the wii u. I don't see why they wouldn't succeed it.

Considering how ballsy they got with the switch, they're either not of commission, or they are and they are just taking huge bets.

Last edited by Sheikah Impa,

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just no.
I cant see them making another switch anytime soon.

The 3ds will just fade out and they will keep the switch running.

No need for another verison of the switch since that would mean you would have a split games. Switch normal and new switch.

It would be the DS and 3ds all over again

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I think, they announce a 3DS successor now. Just in case the Switch fails. If the Switch on the other hand becomes a wide success, the Switch is the successor to the 3DS and Nintendo will focus everything for it.

It would be too soon to introduce the 3DS' successor anyway, both because Nintendo doesn't want to take attention away from the Switch and because the 3DS is still doing quite well. It is 6 years old now, but I can see it lasting 2 more years before being replaced, I can see such a successor being announced in the fall of '18.

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so, As far as a slim switch, I dont really see a necessary reason for it. Thing is slim already. As far as them planning a 3DS successor, it can definitely happen and coexist with the switch. When it comes to Nintendo, it's about what the hardware can and cant do. The switch is meant to be a home console that you can take anywhere. It also doesn't have features that the 3DS doesn't have. Miiverse, Street/Spotpass, 3D Capability, and obviously Dual Screens.

The thing about handhelds is that they are a great segway for children just starting to play games, which is why we can have something as cheap as a 2DS. See, with the Switch, the selling point isn't games on the go, its more current gen console on the go. So it's doing what its predecessors and competitors cant. The next handheld (which I believe will be dropping the DS part of the name if going by history) will be doing the same. One thing a handheld would definitely be cool to be able to do, is to be able to play those same mobile games Nintendo is releasing now, but that's just me.

Trust me, one thing I can say about Nintendo, they are willing to take risks and do new things. You'll see a new handheld in 2018 or 2019 (if so, the 3DS will be the longest running handheld so far if im not mistaken)

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
But WHY in gods name are they considering a new handheld which is a weird form of successor to the 3DS?
Only the paranoid survive, that's why. Nintendo were once Japan's biggest company, if I'm not mistaken. They can afford to have a hardware team working on things while their software guys do other things. Doing so allows them to avoid wasting years doing nothing while their competition eat them alive, both phones/tablets and others. Well there is no Vita but who knows what Sony has cooked up in the labs?

Its like they want the switch to die on arrival
Not at all. Any company worth its salt has back-up plans in case of this-or-that. And any company worth it salt is ready to go with the market demand (should it present itself). Any company worth its salt does not waste several years doing nothing then hurriedly tries to release hardware to cater to market demand years after their competition starts eating their lunch (or years after they possibly fail with their all-eggs-in-one-basket approach). A good company is ready to act quickly. A good company spends on R&D.

Because they have gobs of money & are smart to use some of it to protect themselves. Also because the Switch is bound to be more fragile for kids. And a thousand other unknowns regarding likely demand & market acceptance and competitive threats. At one stage Nintendo even released the Game Boy Micro because they thought that the new wave of small phones would put them out of business. It was not a market success. They do things. They try things.

Seriously why not wait till its released and if the switch does good THEN they should work on a slimmer switch.
Wasting time. And new things always take time to perfect, not to mention line up component suppliers and write contracts; hopefully before their competition eats their lunch. Or they eat themselves by putting all eggs in one basket.

Forget about a new handheld.

Honestly if they release a new handheld next year then the switch is dead.

I can't get to the original source because I don't subscribe to their news, plus I need it translated properly, but if what AnimeNewsNetwork say is true it makes perfect sense to me. The Switch doesn't come across as particularly robust. If I were manufacturing them I'd be concerned about size and how robust it is (or more to the point: support & warranty claims). And of course reducing cost of manufacture, adding to the appeal by making it smaller, retail prices, etc. AnimeNewsNetwork said:
~~
If the Switch is successful, Nintendo will possibly develop the next handheld as a "Switch Slim" version of the console — a smaller version with a correspondingly smaller screen, designed so that it will not break even if children drop it.

In a separate report by the Kyoto Shimbun paper, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima said that his company will target different child-focused needs and market from the Switch, and will differentiate a future handheld from the Switch through price and form factor. He added that his company are currently discussing the hypothetical handheld's development.

~~
This seems totally reasonable to me.

The Switch SHOULD succeed BOTH Wii u AND 3ds.

So if it bombs THEN they can say "look here is our new handheld which is a successor to the switch"
It sounds like they are just thinking about the future. A future model of the Switch catered towards children & offering a better price and robustness and smaller size. Plus a future replacement for the 3DS. In other words, what any forward-thinking company must do if it wants to remain profitable. That's if I am reading things correctly (& if this website translated correctly).

I dont now what Nintendos management are thinking
How to remain profitable in the future. How to survive. How to thrive.

We NEED new software not new hardware guys! cant they at least wait before having these type of thoughts.
Nintendo is a huge company. They have to keep their hardware guys busy while their software guys (& third parties) do their own thing. One notable thing from the bits of the Nikkei article they let you read is this (via Google Translate):
~~
That is why Nintendo spent a long time explaining the functions and usage of Joy-Con at the recital on January 13, 2017 as well. Even in the development stage, Nintendo said that Joy - Con was a "Toriko child", hiding its existence for external game developers for a while. As a result, many developers were not able to get enough time to develop games using Joy-Con as a result. This seems to be one reason not to make clear the lack of launch titles or the situation of third party software.
~~
So that goes some way to explaining the lack of software titles. Some way, at least.

Why make this public! they should keep it internal
To keep that investor money flowing. Like most "incomprehensible" things in life, if you follow the money, the puzzle pieces come together quickly. Everything from world wars to corporate lies to business decisions make total sense. Everyone is slave to the banking overlords.

Last edited by foob,

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
A compact Switch with fixed non-removable joycons, a smaller screen, scaled down graphics and a longer battery life would be wise and I'd imagine is almost a certainty. (As long as it uses the same architecture, games library and OS)

As you can see the Switch isn't exactly portable:

View attachment 77158

A Switch "Slim" would be an entry-level, cheaper option for parents looking for a gift, similar to the 2DS which was very successful in that regard. Not everyone wants to invest in the full experience. Some people only buy systems like the 2DS for just a single game like Pokemon.
I'd agree with you on that. The system is meant to be 'portable;' yet, it's not something you can just slide in your pocket, IE "3DS, 2DS, 3DS XL, and the n3DS systems." The switch is most likely meant to be carried around, in a case, or while being played. Not, in your pocket. But, a Slim model that's cheaper, and with some cut corners wouldn't be a bad decision on Ninty's part. Since, they've succeeded with the 2DS.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch will never....EVER be a replacement for a handheld system. It was never meant to be one in the first place. It can barely survive off of it's charger or out of it's dock. It's too clunky to be a handheld system, plus it's not accessible. You can't fit it in your pocket and to my knowledge it doesn't have any actual programs for on the go play. (Streetpass ect.) It's just what the Wii U wasn't. A console that you can play on your tv, and when you're done with the tv then decide take with you...But the radius is much further lol. If you don't take graphics and power into account, the 3ds still seems like more of a portable system then the switch. PLUS, the 3ds has been selling way better than the wii u. I don't see why they wouldn't succeed it.

Considering how ballsy they got with the switch, they're either not of commission, or they are and they are just taking huge bets.
??? 3-6 hours that bad? and i guess some people have tiny pockets...

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the switch is already DOA i think they know it or half expect it
nintendos strategy is to keep releasing failed hardware with no games and rush out new hardware soon as possible and hope nobody notices
nintendo switch worst console launch in all of history , literally releasing without a single original game
at this point they should give up sell off all their IP's to companies who can actually develop games for them and not take 20 years to make a single game that gets delayed 20 times, get out of the business altogether
they just can not keep up anymore they fell behind with TP on the GC and were never able to catch up they fell further and further behind every single year

i don't see how they can save themselves now, the switch was supposed to be delayed to make it VR ready but it has a 720 screen so it can't be used for VR unless they release another HW revision with a higher res screen which i can totally see them doing , anyone who trusts Nintendo anymore is just dumb only an idiot would early adopt their systems now after the wii u and N3ds
the rest of the industry is following Nintnedo now too though , ps4 pro and scorpio ,Nintnedo had their 1/2 gen wii u and now we see M$ and $ony following suit as well
funny how the 7th console generation lasted the logest and now the 8th console generation is alredy over probably the shortest console generation in history

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
the switch is already DOA i think they know it or half expect it
nintendos strategy is to keep releasing failed hardware with no games and rush out new hardware soon as possible and hope nobody notices
nintendo switch worst console launch in all of history , literally releasing without a single original game
at this point they should give up sell off all their IP's to companies who can actually develop games for them and not take 20 years to make a single game that gets delayed 20 times, get out of the business altogether
they just can not keep up anymore they fell behind with TP on the GC and were never able to catch up they fell further and further behind every single year

i don't see how they can save themselves now, the switch was supposed to be delayed to make it VR ready but it has a 720 screen so it can't be used for VR unless they release another HW revision with a higher res screen which i can totally see them doing , anyone who trusts Nintendo anymore is just dumb only an idiot would early adopt their systems now after the wii u and N3ds
the rest of the industry is following Nintnedo now too though , ps4 pro and scorpio ,Nintnedo had their 1/2 gen wii u and now we see M$ and $ony following suit as well
funny how the 7th console generation lasted the logest and now the 8th console generation is alredy over probably the shortest console generation in history
I don't regret my n3DS purchase. It was worth it just for the improved 3D.
I don't even regret my Wii U purchase. It had a slow start, and a slow continuing, and a slow end, but looking back at it, it had a decent amount of great games, and I'm glad I was able to play them.
I'm getting the Switch because I'm confident it will have a bunch of great 1st party games for it. Even if it flops.

D

Deleted User

animenewsnetwork
anime
news
network

Can't wait when this fails harder than the switch

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't regret my n3DS purchase. It was worth it just for the improved 3D.
I don't even regret my Wii U purchase. It had a slow start, and a slow continuing, and a slow end, but looking back at it, it had a decent amount of great games, and I'm glad I was able to play them.
I'm getting the Switch because I'm confident it will have a bunch of great 1st party games for it. Even if it flops.
i don't really regret my N3ds purchase either i just regret my 3DS xl purchase a year earluer after i got a 3ds in 2011
had i known i probably would have waited , but i am disappointed they never made any games i wanted since N3ds release besides MM3d

i don't regret my wii u purchase either because i only paid $90 for it
but i can not see paying much more for it for the tiny must have game library
i certainly can not justify paying $400 to play mario odyseey (the only game i am interested in besides BOTW which i will be playing wii u)
the only game that looks good for at least 1 year ,
and i have a really sneaking suspicion they are going to release a new HD tablet portion at some point, they said they were interested in VR
no way they can do that on 720 screen, so i suspect since the system is so modular they will release new tablet portion for VR, of course you will have to buy a daydream like adapter too
i just do not trust them i can see being left high and dry ,if they end up releasing VR and and VR metroid as some have baselessly speculated about and i am stuck with a 720 tablet and can't play it i will be pissed

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so im currently saving up for a switch! Ive saved £75/£280 so far and earlier today ANN released this Article:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...sses-handheld-successor-to-3ds-system/.111805

Now i understand why Nintendo wants a slimmer switch. thats perfectly normal and makes sense from a bussiness standpoint

But WHY in gods name are they considering a new handheld which is a weird form of successor to the 3DS?

Its like they want the switch to die on arrival

why?

Seriously why not wait till its released and if the switch does good THEN they should work on a slimmer switch.

Forget about a new handheld.

Honestly if they release a new handheld next year then the switch is dead.

I dont even now about the 3ds.

The Switch SHOULD succeed BOTH Wii u AND 3ds.

So if it bombs THEN they can say "look here is our new handheld which is a successor to the switch"

I dont now what Nintendos management are thinking

We NEED new software not new hardware guys! cant they at least wait before having these type of thoughts.

Why make this public! they should keep it internal
Did you miss this part? "planned release in 2018 OR LATER."

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I guess instead of detachable Joy-cons the Switch will fold for compact travel?
Untitled.png

Reactions: Deleted-379826

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
as i predicted in another thread you got one more year of the 3ds than it's getting replaced...by switch JR

nintendo does it again just like with the gba and DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like to interact with my smut ok