Nintendo Switch - Piracy or Original Games

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Doctor_U, Jan 7, 2017.

?

Do you will buy Original games?

This poll will close on Apr 7, 2017 at 6:23 PM.
  1. Yes i will

81 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. No i will softmod

67 vote(s)
    45.3%
Jan 7, 2017
  1. spiderman1216

Newcomer spiderman1216 Newbie

Canada
    Why is that? I mean most people here know what the bay is

2. Futurdreamz

Member Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    We're still to avoid mentioning it where evil lawyers and their scraper bots can find it. At most mention it in PMs.

3. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!

Norway
    Softmodding won't be possible for a while, so piracy isn't even an option if you're buying the console at or close to launch, like I probably am. I'll do what I normally do with new consoles, buy all the games I'm interested in, and softmod when possible.

jt_1258 likes this.
  4. FrostyDialga

Member FrostyDialga GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    IT plays game cards so i bet gateway might try to make a card for it.

5. foob

Member foob GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Please don't pirate. You need to feed the major shareholders, who are probably stealing from you 33 different ways as we speak. Yep, all those lovely bankers and investment schemers moving money around, raping you countless ways. Your tax dollars probably bailed half of them out too. The same guys who dictate gov policy worldwide & profit on wars & drug trades. Yeah, those guys. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/information/index.html

With all that said, I *always* chase up originals of games I adore, mostly because I want to own (and touch, and feel) great things rather than any moral high-ground reasons. The only exceptions are when availability is bad or price is far too high. Speaking of high prices, I can't believe the prices some 3DS games go for, years after release. If the Switch is going to be like that, just forget it. I'd sooner buy 10x the amount of games on a previous generation console, second-hand.

We have so many entertainment choices today, i think it's reaching a sort of saturation point.

Last edited by foob, Jan 11, 2017
  6. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ RIP Jake...

United States
    You are probably going to be waiting a while to get a softmod solution lol

7. NoSoul81

Member NoSoul81 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's coming out soon and we're on GBATemp, it's just natural there's going to be some discussion even though I don't believe it will be right away. I am in no hurry. I'm drowning in backlog.

8. foob

Member foob GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    +100. We are spoiled for choice. I am too embarrassed to admit how many PS3 games I have that have yet to be tried, as it is. It doesn't help the situation when I can get them for almost nothing...

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  9. AnalogMan

Member AnalogMan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It takes cartridges. Just wait for the makers of Sky3DS to come out with a SkySwitch™️

10. Tomato Hentai

Member Tomato Hentai Now you're playing wiþ PowerPC

Canada
    I'm not even going to mod my Switch until the end of it's lifetime if it ends up having a lot of the games that other current-gen consoles have, I don't wanna be banned from online if there are online games that I'll actually want to play online.

11. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Everything is always hackable.

12. MadMageKefka

Member MadMageKefka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No, no it isn't. Supply and demand means there is a finite supply of the product. Nintendo's old games are digital downloads, it costs them literally nothing to make and they dont have to produce anything like a physical cartridge. It's 100% profit for them. I'm sorry, but $10 for an NES game is insane. I have pictures of zelda games larger than the file size for the actual game, its not worth freaking $10 anymore.

13. Keith_Loving

Newcomer Keith_Loving Member

United States
    From what I could tell, all of the launch titles could be ran off the Wii U. There is no need to launch a new console. Even that punching game could have worked with the Wii U's remote and some type of add-on/dongle for fighting against two people in the same room.

14. grossaffe

Member grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

United States
    It is supply and demand. There is a supply of physical copies out there in addition to Nintendo's digital supply. The price for these will be set to the price that consumers are willing to pay. Demand. If people were unwilling to pay the price, then it wouldn't sell which would force the price to drop.

What you'll find for other games that have their prices drop is that a lot of people are selling their used copies flooding the market with a supply from different competing sources, and similarly, there is lesser demand for these games, so the sellers need to drop their prices in order to make the sale.

Is $10 for an NES game insane? For you it is. But clearly the demand for these games is high enough to sustain the price.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Can those games be played on an Airplane with the Wii U?

15. Keith_Loving

Newcomer Keith_Loving Member

United States
    I can not speak for the airplane. Please ask the airplane this question.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  16. Darkyose

Member Darkyose Unstable Hacker

Puerto Rico
    I'll buy games WORTH the money. (That is if I even have the money..)

Right now I would just buy Zelda and Mario from Switch. (If I ever get one).

17. Jayro

Member Jayro MediCat DVD Developer

United States
    I'll buy Splatoon 2, but probably pirate the rest since Nintendo keeps fucking us. It's only fair.

18. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Going to wait for E3. Considering a lot of games I want, are going be block by that online pay wall that so many people wanted so badly. So, I might go the free a different route when it comes to online focused games.

Last edited by KingVamp, Jan 13, 2017
  19. stl25

Member stl25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Like any Nintendo console original 1st party library and pirated 3rd party library

20. MadMageKefka

Member MadMageKefka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There is no supply of physical copies for the original nes zelda. Used copies have nothing to do with nintendo and do not set the price, especially since the actual carts sell for way more than $10. Charging $10 for a digital download of a 20+ year old game is rediculous. If u think its a fair price, u are entitled to your opinion, but the words "digital supply," what even is that? There is no limit to digital copies... what "supply?" Nintendo doesn't have a market for physical copies of NES games either, thats 100% used copies and collectables. This is not supply and demand, Nintendo simply decides what they want their price to be and that's that. Notice how the price of VC NES titles hasn't gone down at all? Or up, for that matter. Plus, how do you know enough people are buying it to warrent any price? Do you have Nintendo's sales figures handy?