Nintendo stops offering repairs for original 3DS

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 7, 2017.

1. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Meh, I've never had to send anything to Nintendo for repair for any reason. What the crap are people doing to these things that they mess them up anyway? Take care of your stuff, sheesh

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  2. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    People are complaining? The system turns 6 this year.. Why wouldn't you expect they drop repairs when they have the updated model they'd like you to buy? "b-b-but I don't like the New3DS".. Doesn't mean they have to support the old models.

3. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    6 years is a long time for a handheld. 8 years is too long for a handheld. I love the 3DS, but it's an old timer.

4. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.14.0-2-zen
    i mean hey
    when has nintendo not been capitalist
    dance me this
    Read my signature...

5. Abu_Senpai
    This message by Abu_Senpai has been removed from public view by Minox, May 7, 2017, Reason: Offtopic.
    May 7, 2017
  6. Dionicio3
    This message by Dionicio3 has been removed from public view by Minox, May 7, 2017, Reason: Offtopic.
    May 7, 2017
  7. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Time to upgrade..

8. Soulsilve2010

Soulsilve2010 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2016
    United States
    United States,Indiana
    Great,just in time for my sd slot to crap out.Looks like im learning soldering.

9. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Oh well. Better off getting the o3DSXL or n3DSXL anyway.

Pyra likes this.
  10. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    My guess is that since the casual crowd didn't know the difference between the Wii and the Wii U, they also don't know the difference between the 3DS and the N3DS. They only thing that will ring in their ears is that Nintendo quit supporting the 3DS, and sales of all variants of the 3DS will be in the shitter.

11. Gizametalman

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    And this is how it starts to die.

12. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    That's kind of weird since nintendo stopped repairing original NES systems back in like 2007. I expected a somewhat longer span, but not beyond 3 years post manufacturing halt. not only warranty people need repairs.

13. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Why bring a 3DS around when I'm out when I already have a smartphone which is not build on obsolete hardware? If it weren't for the preposterous popularity of Pokemon portable gaming would already be dead. I still haven't seen a Switch in real life.

The O3DS sucks anyway. It's slow as hell and the 3D effect isn't worth using.

14. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I don't understand why everyone is complaining. Nintendo wanted to kick out the o3DS the moment they were forced to make a big price drop for the console. The 3D effect can be lost easily, problems with the battery, problems with the design, problems with the glossy finish, the circle pad pro is a joke... basically, they still wonder why any of you complaining didn't update to a n3ds yet. The only thing I miss from my o3ds is the very easily accessible SD card slot, but I haven't used the console to play music for years.

I think the main reason that they stop doing repairs is that they ran out of supplies (especially with a new model coming out) and don't want to make more for a console that was condemned from the start.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Ryccardo likes this.
  15. Pachee

Pachee GBAtemp Fan

Nov 3, 2015
    United States
    They are doing that in some places, but still, most just act as a proxy and send the broken consoles to north america. IE: Brazil.

16. natanelho

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Antarctica
    Between the Sacred Silence and Sleep
    the 3ds is still relevant. if you wanna buy a modern console with a huge library rather then buy a console with one game and one milking simulator (the switch if you didnt get it) then buy a 3ds! which also has free online! and many zelda's and mario's!

Subtle Demise likes this.
  17. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    If Nintendo didn't move resources from old products to new ones, we'd all still be playing Gameboy and NES. Progress!

18. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    I read the source as well as tried searching around about this and I still don't fully understand this decision especially when 3DS games themselves are still being made. The only 2 guesses I have why they are doing this is

1. Some factory somewhere that makes parts for the original 3DS is shutting down and it cannot be replaced or find alternatives for it.

2. It's time to move on. 3DS is winding down and eventually New 3DS systems will soon also quit being supported sometime soon too to make room for a successor depending how the Switch does.

19. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Amount of fux given: 0 and counting backwards.

20. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    They should at least find a way to system transfer from the older system then.

21. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    It's most likely both.
    Nintendo tends to do things cheap and they've most likely stopped producing parts to repair the systems years ago. Coupled with the reality that they will be ending the 3DS in 2018, Nintendo is most likely not seeing any profit in continuing repairs for the older systems. This might also be why they made the 2DS XL, in an effort to get more people to upgrade their systems.

Personally I am ok with this. Nintendo is like every other company, they need to upgrade and move on. They can't keep supporting their older products when it's going to cost more for them to do so.
    You can already transfer from the old3DS to the new3DS.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, May 8, 2017
  22. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    But they were able to support the NES well into the Wii's lifecycle. Thats pretty damn impressive for a system to be supported for 22 years. The 3DS is still an ongoing system so this is not so easy to grasp the understanding of their decision. Nintendo would go long ways to not be so transparent sometimes.