Gaming Nintendo Should Fix the Infinite Lives glitch/patch on Mario 3D World

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A game not blindly adherent to nostalgia and decades-long outdated mechanics, for one.
I thought about that one as I was typing that!

The green mushroom is iconic, and loved amongst older gamers (20yo? You're just a babby Gahars :P ), but... so is the red mushroom, perhaps more iconic actually! The thing here is Nintendo actually showed this exploit on one of their Directs (or at least released the video around the same time as one, can't remember for sure), this one being easier to do than previous ones too I think... it's almost like they agree with us on the lives bit, but think they'd best add them in anyway to avoid any shitstorm from fans... Mario 64/Sunshine made us collect 100 coins for a Star after all.

On the flipside, who else played the Golden Train level on one of the secret areas in 3D World. Fantastic fun, a wonderful homage to the coin ship you sometimes got on SMB3... if lives weren't an issue then this level would've been far less fun (I didn't do the exploit, but my youngest did on his save), and since this game seems to pay homage to a lot of older Mario's ...perhaps the next grandiose Galaxy type Mario (which I'm sure we'll see in a couple of years or so) will get rid of lives altogether.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's cool, yo. But you have a problem with having these many lives because...? I will venture and say that you have played this game and maybe lost a few lives in this game. That didn't bum you out? Or maybe in future Mario games, you could only have a maximum number of five lives. (or ten) But the Paper Mario series and the Legend of the Seven Stars don't have lives systems in them; perhaps you prefer those...

Oh I'm not saying I have a problem with it, I'm just saying it's funny that Nintendo has the same glitch in two different games of the same series.

As stated in another thread, the lives system is outdated as fuck and there's no reason Nintendo should be keeping it.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I'm not saying I have a problem with it, I'm just saying it's funny that Nintendo has the same glitch in two different games of the same series.

As stated in another thread, the lives system is outdated as fuck and there's no reason Nintendo should be keeping it.

May I remind everyone Nintendo lives off of nostalgia, even stupid nostalgia?

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
well to be honest, i think they could tone down the whole live thing a little bit. i mean, when i finished NSMB wii i had like 300 lives. and that was without deliberately trying to get more.
i'd almost prefer it if they went back to a limit of lives below 100. 99 or 50 for example and wouldnt give you 5 lives per level just lying around and as a reward for hitting the flagpole. and send you back to restart the world (send you back to 5-1 for example) you were in when you lost all lives.

with all those lives, all that happens is that people do nothing but hit b and right until they finally dont run into the same enemy and make it to the finish.
i once saw two kids play nsmb and one of them wouldnt play that level where you're on that floating log of wood (and other similar worlds) cause he couldnt run to the end in that one

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Honestly, lives in video games are obsolete. Have been since we started playing on home consoles instead of arcade machines.

Wouldn't go that far... I'd say they have been obsolete since cartridges with saves became standard.

At the end of the day lives were a terrible system. Like you get all the way the last level of a game then you've got 2 attempts left to kill the last boss... and if you don't manage it you have to play the whole game again? That doesn't make the game difficult, it makes it irritating. Difficulty is really defined by the amount of times it takes to get past a certain area, not by the amount of chances you have across the entire world.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't go that far... I'd say they have been obsolete since cartridges with saves became standard.

At the end of the day lives were a terrible system. Like you get all the way the last level of a game then you've got 2 attempts left to kill the last boss... and if you don't manage it you have to play the whole game again? That doesn't make the game difficult, it makes it irritating. Difficulty is really defined by the amount of times it takes to get past a certain area, not by the amount of chances you have across the entire world.
Play the whole game again? That's irritating. Play the whole level again? Now that's different. Would you give up if you died in a level and had to start it over again? I should hope not. Since nobody has seemed to have read it, I will share my story of Super Mario Bros. 3 again. And then you can tell me where the difficulty stops and the irritability begins. ;)

I remember when I first played Super Mario Bros. 3. I would die every few levels. I remember in world 3, level 8; I died 22 times. No bullshit. Boss battles were another thing. On average in my first playthrough, I'd probably died 3 times on each boss. But after six/seven months of playing, (or longer; I forget) it was on a Saturday morning at 10 when I reached the first level of World 8. My sister had been playing this with me; she'd gotten through a bunch of levels I couldn't. Anyway, we went ballistic with excitement. And then, that was when the real dying started. We tried many, many times to get through the fortress after the first two levels, but we just died so much that we finally used a Lakitu's Cloud to skip it. And we did this in future playthroughs as well. Then, there was the final fortress, where we died countless times. Obviously, we'd gotten past the ship that came after the first fortress, for which we were greatly relieved after dying so much in there. Then, we died countless times doing Bowser's Fortress. I remember the first time when we got to Bowser's chamber; we were ecstatic. Of course we died, but we knew how to get there. And after many more failed attempts at defeating them, we finally did and rescued the princess. We were crying because we were so happy.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone like/use the trick where you manage to stay on top of a boss while they're spinning & you gain extra lives its really easy to perform in SM3DL .

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Play the whole game again? That's irritating. Play the whole level again? Now that's different. Would you give up if you died in a level and had to start it over again? I should hope not.

I don't know... I guess it depends how long the levels are. In Mario you get a restart point halfway through; that seems reasonable. What I dislike is having to do half the level again every time you fail to beat the boss. That becomes irritating. Sonic got it right there by leaving a restart post just before the boss.

But yea... infinite lives, or getting rid of the lives concept all together, doesn't stop you having to play the whole level again after dying, does it?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Play the whole game again? That's irritating. Play the whole level again? Now that's different. Would you give up if you died in a level and had to start it over again? I should hope not. Since nobody has seemed to have read it, I will share my story of Super Mario Bros. 3 again. And then you can tell me where the difficulty stops and the irritability begins. ;)

I remember when I first played Super Mario Bros. 3. I would die every few levels. I remember in world 3, level 8; I died 22 times. No bullshit. Boss battles were another thing. On average in my first playthrough, I'd probably died 3 times on each boss. But after six/seven months of playing, (or longer; I forget) it was on a Saturday morning at 10 when I reached the first level of World 8. My sister had been playing this with me; she'd gotten through a bunch of levels I couldn't. Anyway, we went ballistic with excitement. And then, that was when the real dying started. We tried many, many times to get through the fortress after the first two levels, but we just died so much that we finally used a Lakitu's Cloud to skip it. And we did this in future playthroughs as well. Then, there was the final fortress, where we died countless times. Obviously, we'd gotten past the ship that came after the first fortress, for which we were greatly relieved after dying so much in there. Then, we died countless times doing Bowser's Fortress. I remember the first time when we got to Bowser's chamber; we were ecstatic. Of course we died, but we knew how to get there. And after many more failed attempts at defeating them, we finally did and rescued the princess. We were crying because we were so happy.

Um, I'm just seeing irritability here and not difficulty. Well, difficulty, but very artificially enhanced.

You play a game like Rayman Origins or Rayman Legends where it's challenging and has no lives system and you feel a great sense of accomplishment, skill, and progress. You don't feel like you're doing a useless grind.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lives are basically congrats! you finally cleared the level with one life left! Oh, you died on the boss? Better do the entire level over again before you can retry that boss.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, I'm just seeing irritability here and not difficulty. Well, difficulty, but very artificially enhanced.
Are you referring to my game or Super Mario 3D World? If it's the Wii U game, then I agree. But in my game, I became very irritable after dying more than 4 times doing 1 level; it was just that difficult. And don't tell me you never died while playing Super Mario Bros. 3; that'd make you one of the biggest liars on the planet. And just the fact that you died would make you irritable; just imagine how irritable you would've been if you'd died 4 times. And please explain to me how my 22 deaths in World 3-8 was because of irritability and not artificially created difficulty. You really think I died just because I was irritable? My girlfriend's breaking up with me had left me so irritable that I died 22 times in that level? Do you realize how high the level of bullshit is in this idea?
You play a game like Rayman Origins or Rayman Legends where it's challenging and has no lives system and you feel a great sense of accomplishment, skill, and progress. You don't feel like you're doing a useless grind.
Has no lives system? Every game has a lives system. I have never seen a game where you start out with 0 lives. :wtf: And even then, a game with 0 lives still has a lives system; it's just... unheard of and sounds very weird. Anyway, what you mean to say is that you have one life throughout the game. It reminds me of Metroid Prime, where Samus has only one life. But, you find power packs which extend the energy bar by 100. And yes, I did feel like a hero after I'd defeated a boss and got an energy pack that boosted my maximum energy. Useless grinding: I know you're not a fan of grinding in RPGs, so I can't say much here. But I can say that when you plugged Super Mario 3D Land into your U, you assumed the role of Mario and tasked yourself with rescuing Princess Peach from Lord Bowser. You didn't care how many times you died/didn't die; you just wanted to rescue her. And yet, you found it offensive that you could extend your life meter by eating the green mushrooms. I bet you did an awful lot of complaining when you found a power pack that extended your life meter from 200 to 300 in Metroid Prime. I mean, lowering your chances of death in the game is just so annoying; it makes the game easier to beat, which is, again, so annoying.

And before you come in here with your "but it's 240 lives" argument, let's say that the amount of lives you get in a game is directly proportional to your chances of winning the game. The game will be easier to beat if you have 102 lives instead of 48. You might not need those extra lives, but they're there in case you do. And it would be a tribute to you if you got that many lives and never lost one during the duration of the game because, lets face it, losing lives in a game is not fun. I don't know people that like dying in a game. And if you've never died in a game, then you can't relate to this at all.
I don't know... I guess it depends how long the levels are. In Mario you get a restart point halfway through; that seems reasonable. What I dislike is having to do half the level again every time you fail to beat the boss. That becomes irritating. Sonic got it right there by leaving a restart post just before the boss.
I liked having save spots/checkpoints before boss battles; I'd have no way of knowing how many times I would die before I'd beaten the boss and it would be nice not having to grind 4 or 5 times from my last save point. In these kinds of games, I've gotten used to dying in a level at least once.
Yea... infinite lives, or getting rid of the lives concept all together, doesn't stop you from having to play the whole level again after dying, does it?
Of course not. And for a short insight into lives in games, read my response to Guild; there's something there about lives.

D

Dork

Has no lives system? Every game has a lives system. I have never seen a game where you start out with 0 lives. :wtf: And even then, a game with 0 lives still has a lives system; it's just... unheard of and sounds very weird. Anyway, what you mean to say is that you have one life throughout the game. It reminds me of Metroid Prime, where Samus has only one life. But, you find power packs which extend the energy bar by 100. And yes, I did feel like a hero after I'd defeated a boss and got an energy pack that boosted my maximum energy. Useless grinding: I know you're not a fan of grinding in RPGs, so I can't say much here. But I can say that when you plugged Super Mario 3D Land into your U, you assumed the role of Mario and tasked yourself with rescuing Princess Peach from Lord Bowser. You didn't care how many times you died/didn't die; you just wanted to rescue her. And yet, you found it offensive that you could extend your life meter by eating the green mushrooms. I bet you did an awful lot of complaining when you found a power pack that extended your life meter from 200 to 300 in Metroid Prime. I mean, lowering your chances of death in the game is just so annoying; it makes the game easier to beat, which is, again, so annoying.

And before you come in here with your "but it's 240 lives" argument, let's say that the amount of lives you get in a game is directly proportional to your chances of winning the game. The game will be easier to beat if you have 102 lives instead of 48. You might not need those extra lives, but they're there in case you do. And it would be a tribute to you if you got that many lives and never lost one during the duration of the game because, lets face it, losing lives in a game is not fun. I don't know people that like dying in a game. And if you've never died in a game, then you can't relate to this at all.

I don't fully agree with what Guildy is saying, but what the fuck does Metroid Prime's health bar have to do with a traditional platformer lives system? They are nothing alike.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't fully agree with what Guildy is saying, but what the fuck does Metroid Prime's health bar have to do with a traditional platformer lives system? They are nothing alike.

True, but they still have a life system. You can die in Mario; you can die in Metroid. I'm making you think about what would happen if there was no lives system in a game. No life = death. You want to get rid of a lives system and replace it with a deaths system? You start the game out with 5 deaths and then get life after you use up those 5 deaths? Sounds like the -1 Level in Mario Bros. Similarly, in Metroid Prime, you would start at 0 and your maximum energy was 100. The closer you got to 100, the closer to life you would be.

To save you the trouble of reading that paragraph, what I have just written is bullshit.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Has no lives system? Every game has a lives system. I have never seen a game where you start out with 0 lives.

I've never played the game but I'm guessing by "has no lives system" he means, uh, exactly that. It doesn't mean starting out with 0 lives because, as you say, that would be a lives system. I'm guessing that when you die you just start the level again, or start from the latest restart point or whatever, and you get as many tries as you need. Ero no lives system: no countdown from a given number, no one-ups, no getting to a certain point in the game and being told "sorry, you have to start again".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr