Nintendo, Please Fix Your Repair Center

A friend of the site mailed in to let us know about their troubles when dealing with their brand new Nintendo Switch and the UK Nintendo Repair Center.

First of all, a bit of back story for context. We will refer to our friend as 'NintyFan'.

NintyFan got their shiny new Switch on release day, and for the first week or so everything was fine.
NintyFan tells us that after a while, the battery indicator on their Switch would drop from 100% charge to 1% after only 20 minutes or so of usage. Even though the Switch's battery indicator stated 1%, the device would continue to work for another 2-3 hours, the problem is it would keep trying to go into sleep mode, and if it succeeded, it would have to be put on charge again to wake up, even though it still had enough juice for hours of play.

Frustrated that their new device wasn't functioning as it should, NintyFan scoured the web looking for a solution to the problem and came across pages of other Switch owners with the exact same issue.
You can see the thread on Nintendo's official support forums here.

Over 200 comments across 17 pages are filled with Switch owners all with the same issue. Their battery indicator was giving drastically incorrect readings.

A user on the support thread called Chris wrote:
I have the exact problem u have. My switch will go from 100% charge to 1% in about 1 hour and 40 min, so about 1 minute of game time per percent. Except that once it reaches 1% I can still play Zelda for another hour and 20 minutes. It's strange because this didn't happen until 2 days ago. Before that the displayed battery percentage seemed to be correct. Just hope it's a firmware issue as you mentioned and not a sign of a bad battery.
Another user called Ragnarleon wrote:
I have the same problem, i charge the console up to 100%, i turn it off for around 10-15 min when i turn it on it says 67%... if im playing when it reaches 1% it can lasts to 1h or more.
im testing the method that drains the battery twice or more and see if fixs the problem, will post results.
And member ViperX wrote:
Hi Neo, same as you bro.. after 2.2.0 i experience this. I believe it can be fixed by firmware as my battery can last 3hrs plus for botw. The problem is just the incorrect display of the battery percentage. Some users report even after given a new switch it happens again after a few weeks.

This support thread was created on 9th March 2017, less than a week from when Nintendo released the Switch on the 3rd. The latest post is from just yesterday, 23rd May with user Marcelo reporting:
I have the same issue, my Nintendo Switch appear to have 2 batteries.. or at least is how it behavior. When it was 100% charged, I've started to play Zelda in handheld mode, and then the system alerts that all the battery is gone in aprox 1h30 of play.

Then I fully turn off the console, rest it for 3 min and turn it on again. The battery it's now on 52%... maybe it's a problem on the firmware which cannot interpret the correct level of battery.

Another detail is that yesterday I've fully depleted the battery and recharged it for all night long. Then, when I look to the battery level, it's in 100% level. But then, I turn it off for a few minutes then turn it on again.. and it was in 52% again.. then, I've recharged it for an hour and it's full again.. that's really annoying!

After 17 pages of many Switch owners trading tips with each other for a potential fix, or hoping for a remedy via a future firmware update, it's worth noting that the number 1 pinned BEST comment on the thread comes from user NOA_MOD_JEN, who offers the following advice:
For everyone having problems with the battery life or battery indicator on the Nintendo Switch, we really would like to fix your systems and get you back to playing your games. Please contact us at Nintendo Support, so we can see what needs to be done!

Nintendo Support

--Jenn

NintyFan was hesitant to send in their Switch to the UK repair center as they had over 50 hours of play time in Zelda and had heard they might lose the save files if they returned the device for repairs, as currently, at the time of writing, there is still no way to back up a save file from the device.

On the 28th of April Nintendo UK received NintyFan's Switch. This was 26 days ago. Since then NintyFan's update on Nintendo's UK repair page states:

switch.PNG

NintyFan called up the service center today for the third time to see what the hold up could possibly be, as previously the repair status said Repair held - awaiting parts, on May 5th.

What follows is the transcript of the call to Nintendo UK Customer Services, which is listed as the contact number under the repair site's info page:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rep: Good afternoon you are through to Nintendo customer support, you are through to REMOVED, how may I help you?

NintyFan: Afternoon REMOVED, I am trying to find out what is going on with the repair of my Switch

Rep: I'll be able to help with that, just confirm for me your full name address and postcode

NintyFan
: Name & address & postcode

Rep: Brilliant, lets have a look at this for you

NintyFan
: You've had it for like a month

Rep: It's an issue with the battery is that correct?

NintyFan
: Yes they told me they were going to send me a new one and I've phoned every week now for the last 3 weeks, now it (repair tracking site) just keeps saying awaiting parts..

Rep: The reason it says that is we are waiting for a replacement console to come in ourselves

NintyFan
: How long does that take

Rep: Erm.. it can take 2 to 4 weeks we are waiting for them to come in from the European headquarters in Germany

NintyFan
: Right..

Rep: We are expecting them to come in shortly I've been advised by our service center, so we can get these kinds of issues resolved

NintyFan
: At this point you've had it nearly as long as I have, it's not even mine it's my sons, I just think erm.. In America they get them back within 5 working days

Rep: Usually our turn around time is within 3-7 working days, erm, it is due to us awaiting stock from the headquarters in Germany

NintyFan
: What's the time frame on that, can you tell me what day I am going to get my Switch back?

Rep: I wouldn't be able to tell you definitely what time when you are going to get your Switch back currently

NintyFan
: You've had it a month, you know what I mean, one whole month, like, I could've bought a new one and just got a refund on that one instead of sending it back

Rep: No I understand I do apologise..

NintyFan
: I know it's not your fault - I'm just getting really frustrated now with phoning every week and every week getting told "we're waiting for parts, we're waiting for.." I mean the parts are coming from Germany, can they not make them quick enough, or? I just don't understand what the delay is..

Rep: We don't have information as to when they are coming, currently, we are expecting them shortly, that information we have from the service center, they are expecting them shortly now, before they weren't sure

NintyFan
: How long is shortly?

Rep: They didn't give us a timeframe on that, erm that is likely due to be cause they received..

NintyFan
: I mean your just telling me the same thing you've told me every week for the last 3 weeks

Rep: If we did have more of an update for you obviously sir we would give that to you

NintyFan
: have you got a manager there, are you the manager?

Rep: I can see if they are available to speak to yourself

NintyFan
: Yes please I'd like to speak to the manager and I'd like some contact information for complaints as well

Rep: I can give you the complaints information, erm that will be our Windsor head office, erm, and that is likely the information my manager would give you as well

NintyFan
: Yeah.. yeah

Rep: They have access to the same information I have basically, in regards to this particular issue

NintyFan
: Yeah you just look on the computer and tell me it's awaiting parts

Rep: Bare with me
Rep: What I would do as well, erm, just check if it has been done previously, erm, I can see actually that it has already been prioritized, if it comes in we'll get it to you as soon as possible

NintyFan
: I know it's not your fault and I know there is a problem with the amount of stock available, but I think a month with any company, I mean I've sent a dualshock 4 back to Sony and had it back (5 days), a brand new one in the time you've had my Switch.. (26 days)

Rep: I understand your frustration with this, have you got a pen and paper..

NintyFan
: Yeah I have

Rep: I'll give you the address and complaints, it's Nintendo customer support, and that's PO Box 4678

NintyFan
: Have they not got an email?

Rep: The email will be our usual email address it will come through here and not to head office

NintyFan
: 4678

Rep: Yeah

NintyFan
: Yeah
NintyFan: Ok well erm, ok if I don't hear anything I'll give you a call next week, again, and we'll probably have the same chat, again

Rep: Obviously they are up in Windsor, erm, so I'll give you the complete address before you go (laughs)

NintyFan

Rep: S for sierra, alpha lima 4, 9, D for delta, Z for zulu

NintyFan
: Okie doke.. I don't appreciate the way you are laughing about it, you know what I mean?

Rep: I er, do apologise if you thought I was laughing at the situation

NintyFan
: What's your name is it REMOVED?

Rep: Yes my name's REMOVED yeah

NintyFan
: Thanks very much for your time REMOVED I'll erm call again next week

Rep: Erm, As I say hopefully you'll have an update before then in regards to this

NintyFan
: It will be a whole month from Friday, so, that's got to be some sort of record

Rep: As I say I can completely understand your frustration with this

NintyFan
: Are a lot of people calling you up asking where is their Switch?

Rep: Sorry?

NintyFan
: Are a lot of people calling you up asking where their Switch is?

Rep: We get general enquiries regarding repairs but I'm not at liberty to tell you how many people I've spoken to regarding Switches or other consoles at all

NintyFan
: Have you not had any Switch deliveries in the last month?

Rep: I don't have access to that information

NintyFan
: How can you not have access to that information, you work at the repair center, I'm waiting for a repair, how can you not know that?
NintyFan: How can no-one in that building tell me when my Switch..

Rep: The repair center is elsewhere
Rep: The repair center is based in Coventry (City in England)

NintyFan
: So why am I talking to you then? Can you put me through to the repair center

Rep: They don't deal directly with customers

NintyFan
: They won't speak to anyone?

NintyFan
: It's a fucking joke this

-CALL END-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have heard the recording myself and can confirm that this transcript is a direct copy of the conversation.
When I asked NintyFan why he recorded the conversation, he told me that he "is sick of being given the runaround by Nintendo" and that there is an obvious problem with certain Switches that still hasn't been addressed by Nintendo, and that he literally has no idea when he will ever get the repaired Switch or a replacement back from Nintendo's UK repair center.

Have you had any issues like this with your Switch? What do you think of Nintendo's repair service?
Let us know in the comments :switch:

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Sounds like maybe they are waiting on a newer revision/batch, there is usually a dry spell if there has been a hardware issue identified that requires new hardware to be manufactured if there is any silver lining at least they are probably trying to fix the issue rather than throw consoles back with batteries from the same dodgy batch like the galaxy note incident...atleast no switches are catching fire

Reactions: T-hug

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Reactions: T-hug

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it ridiculous that not even Nintendo can reserve Switches for their own repairs.

I don't think it's that they can't, they choose to sell their stock to keep making money because they already have the money for the one being repaired.

Totally a dick move on their part I agree, but this is my best guess.

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A friend of the site mailed in to let us know about their troubles when dealing with their brand new Nintendo Switch and the UK Nintendo Repair Center.

Isn't this just a software issue? Reporting the % incorrectly?

I fixed mine after discharging my battery completely and recharging it. Took a little while and an attempt or two, but I've got it in working order again. Just have to reset whatever it is in the software that tracks the %. It's just a software glitch, not a hardware one. It happened to me when I had it in sleep mode while it was too low in battery. Confused the software somehow being too undercharged or something. Dunno what specifically.

Why would you send it in for a hardware repair? Only thing they could do would be to replace the battery, and I'm not sure that would fix it. I'm not sure even a complete reset would fix it. Depends on how they have the system and software set up.

Ideally, they'd release a software update to address the problem. I'm guessing that's what they're waiting on before sending it back?

Last edited by osaka35,

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

First of all, a bit of back story for context. We will refer to our friend as 'NintyFan'.

NintyFan got their shiny new Switch on release day, and for the first week or so everything was fine.
NintyFan tells us that after a while, the battery indicator on their Switch would drop from 100% charge to 1% after only 20 minutes or so of usage. Even though the Switch's battery indicator stated 1%, the device would continue to work for another 2-3 hours, the problem is it would keep trying to go into sleep mode, and if it succeeded, it would have to be put on charge again to wake up, even though it still had enough juice for hours of play.

Frustrated that their new device wasn't functioning as it should, NintyFan scoured the web looking for a solution to the problem and came across pages of other Switch owners with the exact same issue.
You can see the thread on Nintendo's official support forums here.

Over 200 comments across 17 pages are filled with Switch owners all with the same issue. Their battery indicator was giving drastically incorrect readings.

A user on the support thread called Chris wrote:

Another user called Ragnarleon wrote:

And member ViperX wrote:

This support thread was created on 9th March 2017, less than a week from when Nintendo released the Switch on the 3rd. The latest post is from just yesterday, 23rd May with user Marcelo reporting:

After 17 pages of many Switch owners trading tips with each other for a potential fix, or hoping for a remedy via a future firmware update, it's worth noting that the number 1 pinned BEST comment on the thread comes from user NOA_MOD_JEN, who offers the following advice:

NintyFan was hesitant to send in their Switch to the UK repair center as they had over 50 hours of play time in Zelda and had heard they might lose the save files if they returned the device for repairs, as currently, at the time of writing, there is still no way to back up a save file from the device.

On the 28th of April Nintendo UK received NintyFan's Switch. This was 26 days ago. Since then NintyFan's update on Nintendo's UK repair page states:

NintyFan called up the service center today for the third time to see what the hold up could possibly be, as previously the repair status said Repair held - awaiting parts, on May 5th.

What follows is the transcript of the call to Nintendo UK Customer Services, which is listed as the contact number under the repair site's info page:

Rep: Good afternoon you are through to Nintendo customer support, you are through to REMOVED, how may I help you?

NintyFan: Afternoon REMOVED, I am trying to find out what is going on with the repair of my Switch

Rep: I'll be able to help with that, just confirm for me your full name address and postcode

NintyFan
: Name & address & postcode

Rep: Brilliant, lets have a look at this for you

NintyFan
: You've had it for like a month

Rep: It's an issue with the battery is that correct?

NintyFan
: Yes they told me they were going to send me a new one and I've phoned every week now for the last 3 weeks, now it (repair tracking site) just keeps saying awaiting parts..

Rep: The reason it says that is we are waiting for a replacement console to come in ourselves

NintyFan
: How long does that take

Rep: Erm.. it can take 2 to 4 weeks we are waiting for them to come in from the European headquarters in Germany

NintyFan
: Right..

Rep: We are expecting them to come in shortly I've been advised by our service center, so we can get these kinds of issues resolved

NintyFan
: At this point you've had it nearly as long as I have, it's not even mine it's my sons, I just think erm.. In America they get them back within 5 working days

Rep: Usually our turn around time is within 3-7 working days, erm, it is due to us awaiting stock from the headquarters in Germany

NintyFan
: What's the time frame on that, can you tell me what day I am going to get my Switch back?

Rep: I wouldn't be able to tell you definitely what time when you are going to get your Switch back currently

NintyFan
: You've had it a month, you know what I mean, one whole month, like, I could've bought a new one and just got a refund on that one instead of sending it back

Rep: No I understand I do apologise..

NintyFan
: I know it's not your fault - I'm just getting really frustrated now with phoning every week and every week getting told "we're waiting for parts, we're waiting for.." I mean the parts are coming from Germany, can they not make them quick enough, or? I just don't understand what the delay is..

Rep: We don't have information as to when they are coming, currently, we are expecting them shortly, that information we have from the service center, they are expecting them shortly now, before they weren't sure

NintyFan
: How long is shortly?

Rep: They didn't give us a timeframe on that, erm that is likely due to be cause they received..

NintyFan
: I mean your just telling me the same thing you've told me every week for the last 3 weeks

Rep: If we did have more of an update for you obviously sir we would give that to you

NintyFan
: have you got a manager there, are you the manager?

Rep: I can see if they are available to speak to yourself

NintyFan
: Yes please I'd like to speak to the manager and I'd like some contact information for complaints as well

Rep: I can give you the complaints information, erm that will be our Windsor head office, erm, and that is likely the information my manager would give you as well

NintyFan
: Yeah.. yeah

Rep: They have access to the same information I have basically, in regards to this particular issue

NintyFan
: Yeah you just look on the computer and tell me it's awaiting parts

Rep: Bare with me
Rep: What I would do as well, erm, just check if it has been done previously, erm, I can see actually that it has already been prioritized, if it comes in we'll get it to you as soon as possible

NintyFan
: I know it's not your fault and I know there is a problem with the amount of stock available, but I think a month with any company, I mean I've sent a dualshock 4 back to Sony and had it back (5 days), a brand new one in the time you've had my Switch.. (26 days)

Rep: I understand your frustration with this, have you got a pen and paper..

NintyFan
: Yeah I have

Rep: I'll give you the address and complaints, it's Nintendo customer support, and that's PO Box 4678

NintyFan
: Have they not got an email?

Rep: The email will be our usual email address it will come through here and not to head office

NintyFan
: 4678

Rep: Yeah

NintyFan
NintyFan: Ok well erm, ok if I don't hear anything I'll give you a call next week, again, and we'll probably have the same chat, again

Rep: Obviously they are up in Windsor, erm, so I'll give you the complete address before you go (laughs)

NintyFan

Rep: S for sierra, alpha lima 4, 9, D for delta, Z for zulu

NintyFan
: Okie doke.. I don't appreciate the way you are laughing about it, you know what I mean?

Rep: I er, do apologise if you thought I was laughing at the situation

NintyFan
: What's your name is it REMOVED?

Rep: Yes my name's REMOVED yeah

NintyFan
: Thanks very much for your time REMOVED I'll erm call again next week

Rep: Erm, As I say hopefully you'll have an update before then in regards to this

NintyFan
: It will be a whole month from Friday, so, that's got to be some sort of record

Rep: As I say I can completely understand your frustration with this

NintyFan
: Are a lot of people calling you up asking where is their Switch?

Rep: Sorry?

NintyFan
: Are a lot of people calling you up asking where their Switch is?

Rep: We get general enquiries regarding repairs but I'm not at liberty to tell you how many people I've spoken to regarding Switches or other consoles at all

NintyFan
: Have you not had any Switch deliveries in the last month?

Rep: I don't have access to that information

NintyFan
: How can you not have access to that information, you work at the repair center, I'm waiting for a repair, how can you not know that?
NintyFan: How can no-one in that building tell me when my Switch..

Rep: The repair center is elsewhere
Rep: The repair center is based in Coventry (City in England)

NintyFan
: So why am I talking to you then? Can you put me through to the repair center

NintyFan
: They won't speak to anyone?

NintyFan
: It's a fucking joke this

-CALL END-

I have heard the recording myself and can confirm that this transcript is a direct copy of the conversation.
When I asked NintyFan why he recorded the conversation, he told me that he "is sick of being given the runaround by Nintendo" and that there is an obvious problem with certain Switches that still hasn't been addressed by Nintendo, and that he literally has no idea when he will ever get the repaired Switch or a replacement back from Nintendo's UK repair center.

Have you had any issues like this with your Switch? What do you think of Nintendo's repair service?
Let us know in the comments :switch:

edited Reason : Loler
"laugh" you made my day "nintyfan"

he called ninty and thats it???
write a letter and you will see you receive a brand new switch with presentpackage included
complain to about the support....

for the delete of my 5000 stars and 100 levels in mariomaker i have receive a present pakage with a t-shirt and other goodys
ive called ninty 50 times about that but only a letter brings anything...

my sister have a wii cardreader broken
1 year out of guaranty!!!!
2 letters to ninty later and we obtain 1 new wii and a presentpackage for 2 people
what you have to say?
i got a electrical shock when i touched the cardreader and thats it
i receive the answer thats 12v and not dangerous for humans
i have write a letter back thats 12v for older persons animals and
pregnant womans are dangerous and hey we receive a new wii and a presentpakage as sorry
and i have to say 12v are not dangerous;)

what i will you say with this??
you receive what you will first thing for ninty is make you happy

pity that it is not my switch
im very happy about new ninty vintagestuff
always nice complain about the support
and hey i can confirm what i write:)

http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-reset-my-mariomakeracount-delete-100-levels-5000-stars.421938/

its a call center the people in there have nothing to sayyyyyyy

Last edited by loler55,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
-snip-
write a letter and you will see you become a brand new switch with presentpackage included

-snip-
i became the answer thats 12v and not dangerous for humans
Friendly reminder for German speakers.
You receive something, you don't become something (unless you met a magician perhaps).

"you become a brand new switch" means "du wirst ein neu Switch". (aprox)

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Friendly reminder for German speakers.
You receive something, you don't become something (unless you met a magician perhaps).

"you become a brand new switch" means "du wirst ein neu Switch". (aprox)
danke thank you

i live and learn...

he called ninty and thats it???
write a letter and you will see you receive a brand new switch with presentpackage included

for the delete of my 5000 stars and 100 levels in mariomaker i have become a present pakage with a t-shirt and other goodys
ive called ninty 50 times about that but only a letter brings anything...

my sister have a wii cardreader broken
1 year out of guaranty!!!!
2 letters to ninty later and we obtain 1 new wii and a presentpackage for 2 people
what you have to say?
i got a electrical shock when i touched the cardreader and thats it
i receive the answer thats 12v and not dangerous for humans
i have write a letter back thats 12v for older persons animals and
pregnant womans are dangerous and hey we receive a new wii and a presentpakage as sorry
and i have to say 12v are not dangerous;)

what i will you say with this??
you receive what you will first thing for ninty is make you happy

pity that it is not my switch
im very happy about new ninty vintagestuff
always nice complain about the support
and hey i can confirm what i write:)

http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-reset-my-mariomakeracount-delete-100-levels-5000-stars.421938/

its a call center the people in there have nothing to sayyyyyyy

Last edited by loler55,
Reactions: sarkwalvein

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems my system has begun to have battery issues, guess that means I'll have to repair it myself, Nintendo UK (specifically them) can screw themselves.

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Seems my system has begun to have battery issues, guess that means I'll have to repair it myself, Nintendo UK (specifically them) can screw themselves.
i would wait for the next software update and after that you can still send it in
how i say.. write a letter when it doesn't works

Last edited by loler55,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never had an issue with NoA repairs.
In fact, I recently got a joy-con repaired. They gave me 2-day shipping to them, it took them a day to repair (though, they actually just completely replaced it), and 1-day shipping on the way back.
I've had 3DS repaired once or twice too. It took longer, but it went smoothly.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to the transcript, Ninty sounds like a dick. If the first person taking the call doesn't have the information, the next person having the same job won't have the information. Repair centers and RMA centers NEVER take outside calls, are they retarded? That's how it works in literally every repair business. The only time I've had an issue with repairs all I did was send an email to corporate and wait. Complaining about laughing? Get a life, they probably get yelled at by sweaty neckbeards all the time and a casual "heh" is a way to ease the tension in a lot of situations. Also, the manager will never know internal repair information as they are only managing customer service, not technicians. I guarantee the only thing Ninty managed to achieve was a note on his account saying "This guy is an asshole, and will always complain". Gratz on that one. Dumbass.

EDIT: I bet s/he leaves Yelp reviews, too.

Last edited by Thesolcity,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr