Nintendo Partners with Western Digital to Create Licensed Switch SanDisk Memory Cards

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by T-hug, Sep 1, 2017.

1. tunip3

tunip3 [debugger active]

Oct 31, 2016
    United Kingdom

2. sansnumen

sansnumen GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2017
    United States
    Yes. I already pointed that out a few posts before.

3. sansnumen

sansnumen GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2017
    United States
    Read the article. This is what happens when Nintendo goes back to using cartridges. NAND is expensive and we are longer guaranteed SLC NAND for game cartridges. Bluray games cost 1 dollar or so to print and put into a case. And yet if the Switch had an optical drive like the PSP the battery life would stuck. Ugh.

Last edited by sansnumen, Sep 2, 2017
  4. jimmyleen

jimmyleen GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited by jimmyleen, Sep 2, 2017
  5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    at that price that can go stick it right up their ass twice than lick it!

6. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    Yeah they will be overpriced. They did it with the wii official sd cards a 2 gb card was like $40 when it was realy $10

7. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Y tho

8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
  9. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
    I remember working at Staples when the Wii was out and SanDisk released Wii branded cards for that. The same card as the SanDisk next to it on the shelf, but it was more expensive because...reasons? I tried to stop people from buying the one with the stupid tax on it, but the common response was "If they're the same, why would they release one that specifically says it's for the Wii?"

Kithron and jimmyleen like this.
  10. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    tfw an overpriced sd card is still cheaper and better than vita memory cards

DarthDub likes this.
  11. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    They had the chance to put exclusive Switch fun stuff on it and they missed it. God damn it.

Cmon, Nintendo. You did it for Animal Crossing's exclusive Gamecube memory card, why not these?

For those who don't know, the original Animal Crossing game on Gamecube included it's own memory card. When used with Animal Crossing, you could unlock actual, full NES games you can put into your house in-game and play. It was awesome.

The only thing similar to them in the series since then are the 3DS XL and WII U furniture items in Animal Crossing: New Leaf for 3DS. The 3DS XL item lets you play Puzzle League and the Wii U item lets you play some kinda island survival game. They are acquired either by scanning any Animal Crossing amiibo or from fortune cookies in-game (purchased with 3DS PlayCoins).

Last edited by Pluupy, Sep 4, 2017
  12. pearlfect

pearlfect Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2017
    iirc the Wii U one was based on a game from Amiibo Festival.

That being said, I'm not sure why everyone is judging these so quick and assuming Nintendo is gonna make them $100 more than what they're actually worth. This is only the announcement, for christ's sake. Maybe when they do come out you can all come and say 'I told you so' but we don't know anything about them now.

13. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    its funny how nintendo can partner with WD to have nintendo's logo on its storage cards, at the consumers expense.

but they cant partner up with them to provide higher internal storage within the console itself.

it really shows how greedy nintendo are that they find any chance they can to pass its expenses onto the consumer.

im waiting for the day when nintendo release a new model with no charger..... because most people these days have these chargers with their mobile devices.

14. natanelho

natanelho GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 25, 2015
    Tuvalu
    N3DS came with no charger lol and it didnt have a charger which "comes with your phone"

15. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Um, the ticket system (invented for the main purpose of avoiding people copying games to another console)?
    The fact all four versions of AC Gamecube were invented, released, and sold out before they figured out they could sell roms for $5 each?
    And the game you get by using the promotional memory card (which can also be obtained via trade codes) isn't even for one of the normally unavailable games :D

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

They started with the original XL in Europe, and the idea wasn't ultimately stupid... as it pointed consumers to the free market loaded with 3rd party chargers at half price

16. ken95

ken95 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not only is the SD card's memory space too low for any digital purchases, they also want to get their part of the money of Sandisk SD's...They really want to squeeze as much money as possible from their fans. At least so far it's not worse that Vita proprietary memory sticks. -_-

17. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    And you can still find those overpriced things on the shelves of surprising number of stores.

The only things that matter here are they decent cards, which sandisk usually is, and are they a good price, which these nintendo licenced ones usually aren't.

How long are stupid ignorant parents going to be an excuse? In 2017 they should at least understand sd cards with all the cellphones and stuff.

If you're buying from shady online "retailers" maybe. Walk into a B&M store like Best Buy or Walmart, it's gonna be absolutely fine. And that's not what they mean by trusted anyway, trusted assumes you've got a real card and then it won't fail out of nowhere. You buy from flybynightsd.net, you get what you deserve.

not when there's a known track record of these things being well overpriced compared to the same card without a nintendo branding

Last edited by tbb043, Sep 4, 2017
  18. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Unfortunately, 80% of the people rather buy a faked SanDisk SD from some shady seller then go to a reputable phoneshop or whatever.

Don't tell me where to purchase genuine media as I constantly advocate the more expensive ones.

19. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Would everyone stop excusing this crap with "well yeah but sony's worse!" two wrongs =/= a right.

Tough shit if they won't bother buying from reputable stores

Don't tell me sandisk isn't a trusted brand if you don't want advice about avoiding fake bullshit.

20. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Not me problem if their shit corrupts.
    SanDisk is the most faked brand out there, it's a fact.