Nintendo Partners with Western Digital to Create Licensed Switch SanDisk Memory Cards

Nintendo and Western Digital Corporation have formed a global partnership to create Nintendo-licensed memory cards for use in Nintendo Switch video game systems. The microSDXC cards will be available in capacities of 64 GB and 128 GB, and will feature the Nintendo Switch and SanDisk logos.

San128.jpg

“Western Digital is a global leader in memory storage, and its SanDisk brand microSD cards are trusted by consumers around the world,” said Tom Prata, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Strategic Initiatives. “These new Nintendo-licensed memory cards provide significant additional storage for digital content, and in many retail locations they will be conveniently displayed alongside Nintendo Switch games and accessories.”

“As more and more amazing games and related content become available for download on Nintendo Switch, our licensed memory cards allow users to quickly and easily expand their storage,” said Sven Rathjen, Vice President of Product Marketing, Client Solutions, Western Digital. “Nintendo Switch has generated tremendous momentum, and we are thrilled to partner with Nintendo to offer consumers a trusted card for their system.”

Nintendo Switch gives players the option to supplement their system’s built-in storage, depending on how much digital content they choose to download. Ever since Nintendo Switch launched in March, the system has become home to a continually growing library of diverse downloadable games and content. Additional storage enables players to download more digital games and content, and take it all on the go. Also, a microSD card will be needed for certain Nintendo Switch games that contain an especially large amount of content and require additional storage for players to enjoy the full experience.

The Nintendo-licensed 64 GB and 128 GB microSDXC SanDisk memory cards will be available at select retail outlets starting in October 2017.

:arrow:Source: GBAtemp Inbox

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If i start seeing fake SD cards for this brand, I gonna be pissed. :hateit:
What? There are already fake SanDisks out there, along with fakes for every mSD card. Just buy from Amazon or somewhere reputable and it's not an issue.

NINTENDO PLEASE DO NOT DO WHAT SONY DID WITH THE VITA MEMORY CARDS!! Make the Cards cheap.
It's impossible for them to do what Sony did, microSDs are cheap already. Also useful for more than one device.

Last edited by Xzi,

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe that's why they are faked so often, but yeah this news is kinda standard, they had Wii branded cards and dsi branded cards, funny they partner up with Lexar or toshiba for the bundled as cards usually though, I would have though the licencing contract would have garnered them access to cheaper deals to bundle cards

Unfortunately, Lexar is being discontinued by Micron, and Toshiba makes the NAND chips inside all SanDisk microsd cards, so it does not matter that the brand is SanDisk instead of Toshiba. All the current options for NAND are Samsung, Toshiba/SanDisk and SK Hynix. All the other major brands use NAND from those 3 suppliers.

Last edited by sansnumen,

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So just to make things clear, these are exactly the same as the ones that are already out there?
(Like my 256gb Sandisk card I own)
Read speeds seem the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1