Nintendo of America: "Learn more about the Switch LIVE on Jan. 12"

CvvQNv1VMAA-px4.jpg

Nintendo of America has made quite the preemptive announcement, promising to show off more information about their upcoming Nintendo Switch system during a live presentation on January 12, 2017.

According to NOA, the pricing, release date and launch lineup will be discussed in the stream.

This will be an event for invited media, financial analysts, and trade partners in Tokyo that will be globally livestreamed on Jan. 12, U.S. time. The presentation will include the launch date and pricing for Nintendo Switch, as well as a look at the lineup of games currently in development

There will be opportunities for the public to participate in other hands-on events around the same time, details of which will be announced later.

:arrow: SOURCE

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
They're probably delaying the new info as late as possible so fewer people have time to realise the console will probably still be incredibly underwhelming and still be lacking features such as a decent messaging system.

Reactions: Azel

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo sure are cutting it close given the launch is in March. They better hope people have time to save their pennies.
They did this with the 3DS too. I remember it like yesterday they only gave a months notice on its release date and price.

I don't agree with launching in March, unless their idea is to get the adults to spend their tax return on this.

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
They're probably delaying the new info as late as possible so fewer people have time to realise the console will probably still be incredibly underwhelming and still be lacking features such as a decent messaging system.

THIS.

The system sucks. It will be underpowered compared to the other consoles, and too expensive compared to the 3DS and Vita, both in terms of hardware and in terms of software. Nintendo already officialy announced that they aren't going to sell at a loss, which means this is going to be 300$ or more, while less powerful than the Xbox One by a long margin.

Nintendo knows that most likely this is going to end up being Wii U version 2.0. What they are hoping for, is for this to inherit the 3DS market, which won't happen because of the price.

If Nintendo was confident on the system's specs, they would have announced them by now. They don't do it because they know this will kill the hype. They rely on kids' imaginations imagining some secred ultra powerful OMG cpu that somehow this will make it beat Scorpio. LOL. Not to mention some vague promises about 3rd party support that will never materialize.

That's it folks, Nintendo after this is going 3rd party.

Last edited by TemplarGR,

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo sure are cutting it close given the launch is in March. They better hope people have time to save their pennies.
It's risky, but it might pay off. If people ride the hype train all the way to launch, that could push consoles. If enough people buy the console at launch, that could cause a landslide in sales as people buy the Switch because their friends have one, and then their friends buy it, etc. etc.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
THIS.

The system sucks. It will be underpowered compared to the other consoles, and too expensive compared to the 3DS and Vita, both in terms of hardware and in terms of software. Nintendo already officialy announced that they aren't going to sell at a loss, which means this is going to be 300$ or more, while less powerful than the Xbox One by a long margin.

Nintendo knows that most likely this is going to end up being Wii U version 2.0. What they are hoping for, is for this to inherit the 3DS market, which won't happen because of the price.

If Nintendo was confident on the system's specs, they would have announced them by now. They don't do it because they know this will kill the hype. They rely on kids' imaginations imagining some secred ultra powerful OMG cpu that somehow this will make it beat Scorpio. LOL. Not to mention some vague promises about 3rd party support that will never materialize.

That's it folks, Nintendo after this is going 3rd party.
Okay, firstly, all consoles are garbage in power compared to gaming PCs right now. Targeting anything other than 1080p is pointless at console prices, and Switch will do 1080p just fine. Nintendo isn't the one delaying spec reveal, that's surely Nvidia finalizing the new Tegra chips.

If Switch has gamesteam, it will be able to display games that look far better than anything PS4 Pro/Scorpio can shit out, anyway.

Last edited by Xzi,

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Okay, firstly, all consoles are garbage in power compared to gaming PCs right now. Targeting anything other than 1080p is pointless at console prices, and Switch will do 1080p just fine. Nintendo isn't the one delaying spec reveal, that's surely Nvidia.

LOL. The final specs of the system are known years in advance. A chip takes around 4 years to materialize, from design to production. Before the chip begins the design process, the designers already know what things they want to target for. Only minor things like clocks or amount of cores are left for later, to see how well the production process goes in the real world.

There is no chance in hell Nintendo doesn't know the final specs of the thing as of now, since the SoC have been in production for months, for it to release @ March 2017.

But yeah, i will let a teenager fanboi tell me how the tech world works.

There is only one reason the specs weren't revealed: Because once people find out this thing is going to be 1/2 of the Xbox One at best, while costing around the same, hype will die a sudden death.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
LOL. The final specs of the system are known years in advance. A chip takes around 4 years to materialize, from design to production. Before the chip begins the design process, the designers already know what things they want to target for. Only minor things like clocks or amount of cores are left for later, to see how well the production process goes in the real world.

There is no chance in hell Nintendo doesn't know the final specs of the thing as of now, since the SoC have been in production for months, for it to release @ March 2017.

But yeah, i will let a teenager fanboi tell me how the tech world works.

There is only one reason the specs weren't revealed: Because once people find out this thing is going to be 1/2 of the Xbox One at best, while costing around the same, hype will die a sudden death.
It'll be pretty damn close in performance to first-revision Xbox One, which isn't a very impressive machine anyway. A good portion of its library it only manages to render in 1080p@30, FFS. Shield TV renders more games at 60 FPS and is about $100 less. And that's just the ancient Tegra X1. No reason we shouldn't expect the custom Tegra in Switch to be closer in power to an X2.

And yeah, I will tell you what's up, because you're holding up Scorpio like it's some holy grail when it's all well beneath the high-end of gaming anyway. Compared to a gaming PC, hell, even just my gaming PC, Scorpio and Switch might as well be the same damn thing.

Last edited by Xzi,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They did this with the 3DS too. I remember it like yesterday they only gave a months notice on its release date and price.

I don't agree with launching in March, unless their idea is to get the adults to spend their tax return on this.
Yeah, I remember that.
I also remember I was one of those ambassador idiots that paid it overpriced at launch. Not gonna happen again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It'll be pretty damn close in performance to first-revision Xbox One
No it won't.
Everything points it will be akin to a very low end nvidia 10xx gpu, yes it could output 1080p, but with horrible quality.
The xbox one could get everything running in 1080p at 60fps, and the x1s at 4k for the case, if it used low quality textures and shaders, but it would look like a horrible upscaled dreamcast game, like the shield does and like this will.
I am still doubtful this will produce better gfx than the Wii U. Yes, I believe Wii U Zelda will be the definitive version.
Oh man, this saying "ignorance is bliss" is just BS, stop lying to yourself.
I hope the portable part of the console goes well, it is the only thing that looks interesting with the speculated specs.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Everything points it will be akin to a very low end nvidia 10xx gpu, yes it could output 1080p, but with horrible quality.
...The low end 1000 series outputs 1080p@60 easily. With high quality. If it was akin to a GTX 1050 it would be better than a first-revision XB1. So my guess is actually a little more conservative than yours.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...The low end 1000 series outputs 1080p@60 easily. With high quality. If it was akin to a GTX 1050 it would be better than a first-revision XB1.
Are you a joker? GTX 1050 is not low end, it is mid.
Low-end 10XX is still unreleased.
Think something in the Pascal family targeting the GT920M sector.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Are you a joker? GTX 1050 is not low end, it is mid.
Low-end 10XX is still unreleased.
Think something in the Pascal family targeting the GT920M sector.
The only one lower is a GTX 1040 and it's still capable of 1080p@60 with mid-high settings. You'd have to go all the way back to a GTX 960 before you'd see a card that might struggle to pretty much max out 1080p.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The only one lower is a GTX 1040 and it's still capable of 1080p@60 with mid-high settings. You'd have to go all the way back to a GTX 960 before you'd see a card that might struggle to pretty much max out 1080p.
Exactly, that is what I meant. All the way back to a low power cheap implementation of the Pascal architecture.

PS: I would love to be wrong, but Nintendo will have to prove me wrong big time before I donate money to them yet again.
PS2: And proving me (and anybody else) wrong would be as easy as releasing some real footage, showing some demo units working, presenting the fucking thing somewhere, showing the real thing... it is SO fishy they haven't already done it, it stinks like BS.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s