Hardware Nintendo needs a 3DS lite.

Zerox8610

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You people don't seem to understand Nintendo. They always revise their systems. Almost every console they've made has had a revision. Gameboy, Gameboy color, Gameboy Advance (2 or 3 times), DS (3 times). Even the home consoles had changes. Multiple versions of the NES, SNES, N64 (mostly color changes, but changes none the less), And most recently the Wii, even though the Wii U is in production as we speak.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You people don't seem to understand Nintendo. They always revise their systems. Almost every console they've made has had a revision. Gameboy, Gameboy color, Gameboy Advance (2 or 3 times), DS (3 times). Even the home consoles had changes. Multiple versions of the NES, SNES, N64 (mostly color changes, but changes none the less), And most recently the Wii, even though the Wii U is in production as we speak.
Yeah but the Wii is going to be outdated soon.

The 3DS will get a revision. It's inevitable. But just not this soon.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I like my 3DS, it's sexy looking like my DS Lite... It's not a console that looks ugly (like the original DS) but something that looks smoth and business like (mostly the black one), if someone sees you holding the 3DS's stylus while not knowing what the 3DS was, they'd prolly thing it was some sort of PDA. >3
Anyway, I do agree the screen thingy sucks (scratching), but since I bought a screen cover as soon as they were out, I had no probs with it, also, people complain about the 3D, I like it, maybe it's from habit, but I'm always in the sweet spot and I never get headaches and trust me, I have over 40hours of gameplay in Samurai Warrior Chronicles and 7 of those hours were non-stop (same day I bought the game =P). It's bound to be a revision, but unless it looks sexy like the current 3DS, I won't get it, personally I didn't like the DSi XL, it was too big for my taste. xP

Reactions: 1 person

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I went straight from the original DS to the 3DS.
Shut up about "bulkiness"
Did you even read the first post? Or are you really saying the 3DS with the second slider expansion attached is smaller than a DS Phat?

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went straight from the original DS to the 3DS.
Shut up about "bulkiness"
Did you even read the first post? Or are you really saying the 3DS with the second slider expansion attached is smaller than a DS Phat?
The slider expansion isn't out yet.. How can anybody know that?
He can't complain about it being bulky before he has it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

oXK3D.jpg

ZgC1K.jpg

It's wider and much thicker than the DS Phat.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

oXK3D.jpg

ZgC1K.jpg

Personally, I like it, some reviewers have said it's comfortable, besides, that thing is optional, you don't need it to play games. Once I get mine for Monster Hunter, I am only going to use it while I'm at home, since the game will be playable without it. =3

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Personally, I like it, some reviewers have said it's comfortable, besides, that thing is optional, you don't need it to play games. Once I get mine for Monster Hunter, I am only going to use it while I'm at home, since the game will be playable without it. =3
It seems comfortable. It should feel like those grip things for the DS Lite (with the added bonus of having some extra keys that everyone's so excited about). I like those grip things. I don't care about the size that much, I lug my DS Phat around for reading (although I do consider anything larger than a GBA SP huge but that's not important), so I wouldn't consider the size itself a problem, but fact is this is bigger than even a Phat, and quite a lot bigger than a Lite or a 3DS alone.

I don't agree with the OP on the redesign thing (I think Nintendo should (gently) discourage developers from forcing the second analog, instead of caving all the way in and coming out with a redesign that includes it), I'm just saying the slider attachment makes the console larger than a DS Phat and that it's not unreasonable to call it bulky.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That thing looks like a replacement for the stylus.
And the charging cradle.

Also, does that render N64 obsolete? That'll give the 3DS all the buttons it needs..

EDIT: The 3DS with the slide pad doesn't look much bigger than the DSi XL at all.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

oXK3D.jpg

ZgC1K.jpg

you know, i will probably get that, because i sometimes like to play the 3ds using the cradle, because it feels better on my hands.
in my opinion the 3ds is too small.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I won't say that the 3DS is a complete wtf design flaw. Look at it, the internals, there is no more space where they can add in a second stick. Even if the stick were added, the positioning and others, how would it feel? Yes, the cradle I admit looks like utter bullshit but at least it provides better hold for a second stick.

Stereoscopic 3D is still 'new' in the mobile devices, it can never be perfect. The 3DS can be said to be the first actual commercial gaming product which utilizes this tech. Some may say its dumb, yes, but remember it is still 'new'.

Like I said, I won't expect a 3DS Lite. It'll either be a 3DS S (lol) or a 3DS XL. The 3DS possibly cannot get any thinner, it packs much more than the DS Lite but it's almost the same size. The 3DS now is actually much more powerful than any other handheld Nintendo has ever released (if rumors are to be believed - the 3DS has a dual-core processor). The thing is just the unexpectedly bad launch window (not only games but the online features weren't available at launch) which just proves that the 3DS software is simply rushed like crap. Still, I believe the hardware is there.

Nintendo designed the entire device, they easily could've made it larger or something and put a second stick on it. Or just made it so games don't need a second stick.
They did, but then everybody started complaining "WAHHHH I WANT SECOND ANALOG!"

the 3DS hardware isn't the Vita hardware, and I honestly think that's an issue.

As long as the games are enjoyable (Which they are to me so far), there's no need for the Vita-esque hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte