Gaming Nintendo Might Censor Xenoblade X in the West

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really creepy. The devs going out of their way to sexualize a 13 year old is pretty uncomfortable but sadly nothing new for gaming. What's really weird about this though is that doll face. Really unnerving kill-me-now Skyrim mod face.

No its not.

That's kind of weird dude. When she was 18 you were 7. There is a big difference mentally and socially between a 28 year old and a 17 year old.

Well 13 is the min in Japan but it varries by area

Also

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No its not.
Well, actually it is.
Not that I care what they decide it to be, I don't live in Japan and I am not Japanese.
They can do whatever they want in their island AFAIC, even if I find it not alright.

EDIT (words biting on oneself): Cough, cough (looks into wikipedia and only then finds that age of consent in both Argentina and Spain is 13 years, and in Germany 14)... Erm... Not alright...

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's kind of weird dude. When she was 18 you were 7. There is a big difference mentally and socially between a 28 year old and a 17 year old.
Agreed. Of course it only lasted a couple of years fortunately. I was bit of oddball back then (probably still am), had a fake ID (not really fake, I read "the paper trip" and obtained genuine documents to get a State ID card) and just felt more comfortable around adults than kids my age.

It appears females can marry at 13 in New Hampshire with parental and court approval.

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/teen_marriage_laws/

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ahh, censorshit, ennemy of everything since dark ages.
Waste of time, and destruction of imported things.
Yeah, but let's face it. How much did it change the quality or enjoyment of e.g. Bravely Default or Fire Emblem Awakening?
If it is just subtle censorship it is ok, specially in cases where without it it may result in drama and the game being bashed//whatever.
I prefer to avoid drama in this case if the censorship is just minimal like that, but I agree that it is kind of stupid.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really creepy. The devs going out of their way to sexualize a 13 year old is pretty uncomfortable but sadly nothing new for gaming. What's really weird about this though is that doll face. Really unnerving kill-me-now Skyrim mod face.

They're not "going out of their way". That's merely the look of the "no armor" option, which they had for every character in Xenoblade Chronicles. Sharla and Melia had Bikinis when without armor while Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban went shirtless/boxers.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
she looks like a fucking barbie doll can the devs even try to make the models look better instead of using models from turbo squid ?

I agree that the doll look is unsettling, but it is not laziness, they look just like they want them to look.

Monolith
shion-uzuki-1.jpg
just
momo-1.jpg
loves
jr-1.jpg
that
kos-mos-1.jpg
art
2609278-xenosaga.png
style.
xenosaga-episode-iii-also-sprach-zarathustra-20060501091427159.jpg

Reactions: jagerstaffel

InfoFront

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best solution for this sort of thing is to give people a choice IMO. Have slutty clothes off by default, but able to be turned on in the options.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The best solution for this sort of thing is to give people a choice IMO. Have slutty clothes off by default, but able to be turned on in the options.

I can see the conservatives overreacting like shit with their sensationalist newspapers headlines fashioning something like "Nintendo video game encourages pedophiles with optional over-sexualized child costumes", "The congress discuss the banning of Japanese video games", etc.
Better avoid the drama altogether, make her 18, as simple as that. End of story.
PS: And this is of course just cultural shock. So call this localization instead of censorship.
PS2: And the slutty clothes are always optional, just don't use those fanservice kind of armors (that I hope are not high on stats, because please!)

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
I can see the conservatives overreacting like shit with their sensationalist newspapers headlines fashioning something like "Nintendo video game encourages pedophiles with optional over-sexualized child costumes", "The congress discuss the banning of Japanese video games", etc.
Better avoid the drama altogether, make her 18, as simple as that. End of story.
PS: And this is of course just cultural shock. So call this localization instead of censorship.
PS2: And the slutty clothes are always optional, just don't use those fanservice kind of armors (that I hope are not high on stats, because please!)
PS3: it only does everything.

PS4: Greatness Awaits.

In a more serious note, I think they should just get done with the clothes and make her wear something more appropriate. Why are people complaining so much? It's not going to compromise fun, and most wouldn't have complained if they didn't know it was different.

Reactions: Deleted User

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PS3: it only does everything.

PS4: Greatness Awaits.

In a more serious note, I think they should just get done with the clothes and make her wear something more appropriate. Why are people complaining so much? It's not going to compromise fun, and most wouldn't have complained if they didn't know it was different.

As I said before, I don't care either way. It will not affect the fun factor.
For me they should either put "decent" clothes, increase age, or...
People may actally stop complaining about non-problems.
Either way is ok, I don't care and people seem way too susceptible.
TBH I find any kind of gratuitous sexualization awkward//annoying, but I am not offended enough by the ways of both the original Xenoblade or this game.
I find Senran Kagura, DOA or Super Robot Taisen OG way more offensive actually.

Reactions: 2Hack

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want "decent" clothes. One person's "decent" is another person's boring. Also, who is to day that the planet they are on isn't fairly humid??? Just age her up and we will all be fine.

Reactions: Sakitoshi
D

Deleted User

I don't want "decent" clothes. One person's "decent" is another person's boring. Also, who is to day that the planet they are on isn't fairly humid??? Just age her up and we will all be fine.
But also one person's sexy is another person's boring. I find bikini's and other skimpy outfits in general trashy but sometimes there's stylish skimpy outfits that I like.

RichardLaughter_

Trophies
XP
Personally I think changing her age is hypocritical. I wonder how many people on this very thread dissed Nintendo for censoring Mortal Kombat's blood on the super nintendo? How many people bitched when costumes in bravely default were censored? How many people turn into knights in shining armor when rockstar gets slammed by bad press about gta.? Sure, in real life sexualization of a real life 13 year old is disgusting, but the thing is......IT'S A FUCKING VIDEO GAME. IT'S ART. Are we censoring Ancient greek statues and paintings? So what? Freedom of expression only exists if the expression is Morally approved by the collective society? Bullshit. The argument of changing her age is no different than the argument of taking away gore and violence in video games. At the end of the day, changing her age wouldn't make this game bad by any standard, but it does leave a bitter taste. Hell its sad when I can draw a picture of a naked woman and probably get praised for it if it's good enough, but add bit of context to it....two insignificant numbers....and bam, pedophilia.

It's kind of sad actually....the fact this conversation exists shows just how little society has progressed in terms of respecting video games as an artform

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Personally I think changing her age is hypocritical. I wonder how many people on this very thread dissed Nintendo for censoring Mortal Kombat's blood on the super nintendo? How many people bitched when costumes in bravely default were censored? How many people turn into knights in shining armor when rockstar gets slammed by bad press about gta.? Sure, in real life sexualization of a real life 13 year old is disgusting, but the thing is......IT'S A FUCKING VIDEO GAME. IT'S ART. Are we censoring Ancient greek statues and paintings? So what? Freedom of expression only exists if the expression is Morally approved by the collective society? Bullshit. The argument of changing her age is no different than the argument of taking away gore and violence in video games. At the end of the day, changing her age wouldn't make this game bad by any standard, but it does leave a bitter taste. Hell its sad when I can draw a picture of a naked woman and probably get praised for it if it's good enough, but add bit of context to it....two insignificant numbers....and bam, pedophilia.

It's kind of sad actually....the fact this conversation exists shows just how little society has progressed in terms of respecting video games as an artform

Unfortunately this thing called real world exists, and it is a very consumerist capitalist one.
Games, being art or whatever, are actually funded and produced with the main objective of making money, so you have to adjust to this.
With many western societies, as west as the western hemisphere and actually south of Canada and north of Mexico, are driven by explosive conservatives almost the heirs to the inquisitors (and they are the ones that have the money), in the end producers have to shape their "art" to appeal the people that will give them money, which is what the producers really want.
True story.

Reactions: Deleted User

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Nintendo could very well release the game untouched without any censorship but once the media and bitchy parents would start complaining about a 13 year old showing her tits they would take action.

Back in the Modern Warfare 2 days Activision released a patch to censor a poster/drawing in one of the buildings because it was offensive to Muslims then again, why the hell would they be playing a game that consists of killing each other? x_x

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn