Nintendo Lists Zelda U Release Date as TBD in Financial Report

rFxpnOJl.jpg

This is the time of year when everybody is releasing their financial reports for the first quarter of 2015, and in them, Nintendo gave some cause for worry. Nintendo, while reporting release dates for various titles, have curiously left Zelda U's release date as TBD. This is noteworthy due to the fact that every other game except Project Giant Robot receives a release window of some kind (sans one European 3DS release), whether it be a specific season, or just 2016. As everybody was expecting a 2016 release date to be fairly set in stone, it is becoming increasingly difficult to figure out what exactly Nintendo is planning for their Zelda title for the Wii U. Or rather, maybe it is becoming increasingly clear.

There has been speculation since the NX really set the rumor mill ablaze that perhaps Zelda U wasn't going to be so much Zelda U as Zelda U + NX. With the increasing likelihood that, whether it be the NX or something else, Nintendo's home console successor is on the horizon for a 2016 announcement and maybe even late 2016 release date, many sources are speculating more and more that Zelda U may pull a Twilight Princess scenario. The lack of certainty in Zelda's release date could be a lack of certainty in the console successor release date, whether it will be 2016 or 2017 at this point. This is a very real possibility to entertain, and even if it doesn't necessarily follow any trends, it should be considered.

I'm hoping we will all be proven wrong, and that Zelda U will be the exclusive title Wii U owners have been waiting for, but Nintendo's suspicious behavior is causing people to draw some different conclusions. Whether the struggling Wii U will receive this title exclusively has already been a subject of debate on this site ever since Zelda U was delayed to 2016 back in late March.

All of that said, I'd like to ask you all: what do you think? Has your opinion changed? Do you think Zelda U is still guaranteed to be a Wii U exclusive, or is the magic eight ball starting to predict a more uncertain future?

I'll make it clear now that Nintendo reporting the release date this way does not set in stone any kind of facts about the way the game will be releasing, so please be sure to treat your speculation and others appropriately.

:arrow: Nintendo Financial Report - See Page 5

megaexplosion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, I knew I was right in regretting this Wii U purchase as soon as the NX was announced. Zelda was pretty much the only game I had in mind when I bought it. Guess I'll console myself with Starfox Zero and Xenoblade...

If they do pull a TP then I hope that there's noticeable differences in graphics/performance in the two versions so that it's not akin to the Wii version of TP being simply a gamecube game with motion controls.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't think Nintendo will release Zelda U for the NX simply due to the supposed technical differences between the Wii U and NX. Rumor has it that the NX will not use PowerPC and a more developer-friendly OS so that developers can easily port NX games to the next handheld and vice versa. Zelda U is already written for the Wii U and as such it would be difficult to port it to NX as it would need to be rewritten from scratch.

The Twilight Princess thing was possible because the Wii is basically an upgraded Gamecube.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think Nintendo will release Zelda U for the NX simply due to the supposed technical differences between the Wii U and NX. Rumor has it that the NX will not use PowerPC and a more developer-friendly OS so that developers can easily port NX games to the next handheld and vice versa. Zelda U is already written for the Wii U and as such it would be difficult to port it to NX as it would need to be rewritten from scratch.

The Twilight Princess thing was possible because the Wii is basically an upgraded Gamecube.
I can consider two alternative possibilities here:
1) Nintendo will not break their now over one decade long tradition of keeping backwards compatibility in both handhelds and home consoles in one way or another in each successive generation. The easiest way to do this is to continue on their path of essentially upgrading the same hardware for each new generation. Since we know nothing concrete about the NX at this point except that it's a game console of some kind based on SE's DQ announcements, I'd entertain this as probable.

2) Nintendo will drop the Wii U from the plans entirely as not being financially viable, and shift development entirely to the NX. I could see this happening, but at the same time, I don't think Nintendo will want to burn their dwindling remaining fan base that badly. It would be far too risky of a move for the Nintendo we've come to know. At the same time, if Nintendo really does want to start reshaping themselves with the launch of the NX to start regaining their fanbase once more, maybe they'll see burning some bridges as necessary for building many more.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nintendo is fucking up again and again and again and again. Last year i told everybody they were gonna delay it and push it on 2 the NX and i got a lot of hate everywhere on my comment from angry fanboys. I even told everybody the NX is probably gonna come out somewhere 2016 probably around November and they were gonna drop the Wii U after a mere 4 -5 years and doing a SEGA and i got a lot of hate on that comment also but HAHA see who's right now :D Everybody saying Nintendo cares about gamers, don't make me laugh ! Nintendo only cares about their core Japanese market and Always did hence why so much games only are coming out in Japan and are always directing market strategies towards the Japanese audience instead of the West. The NX makes that perfectly clear since most Japanese turned away from consoles and went over to Mobile gaming, more and more proof is already there the NX is gonna based towards mobile gaming to get that Japanese audience back " basicly saying **** the West ! "

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

...pardon? I can see where your logic is coming from, but it's clear the game was nowhere near finished for a start: all we've really seen, aside from the odd setpiece-like section, is a background map and what looks like a few areas of randomly placed trees that look exactly the same - it isn't gonna be that difficult to port that over to a new engine on new hardware, just get the engine running and feed in what you've made. Your comparison with Twilight Princess is incorrect as that game ended up launching on both consoles - I think it's quite clear this game won't be coming to Wii U: 'TBD' does allow them to do an about turn and release on Wii U if the console suddenly starts shifting millions of units and thus a big budget AAA game like Zelda become a viable option, but I know, you know, and Nintendo knows that won't happen. Architecture doesn't mean half as much as you think if the game is in such an unfinished state, better in this case to drag the notes over and ditch the current code.

Reactions: FusionGamer

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo is fucking up again and again and again and again. Last year i told everybody they were gonna delay it and push it on 2 the NX and i got a lot of hate everywhere on my comment from angry fanboys. I even told everybody the NX is probably gonna come out somewhere 2016 probably around November and they were gonna drop the Wii U after a mere 4 -5 years and doing a SEGA and i got a lot of hate on that comment also but HAHA see who's right now :D Everybody saying Nintendo cares about gamers, don't make me laugh ! Nintendo only cares about their core Japanese market and Always did hence why so much games only are coming out in Japan and are always directing market strategies towards the Japanese audience instead of the West. The NX makes that perfectly clear since most Japanese turned away from consoles and went over to Mobile gaming, more and more proof is already there the NX is gonna based towards mobile gaming to get that Japanese audience back " basicly saying **** the West ! "
i say the same thing every time they don't believe me either but nope you can't reason with fanboys they will defend nintendo to the bitter end :lol:

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Not surprised. Nintendo's gonna pull a TP.
Damn, I knew I was right in regretting this Wii U purchase as soon as the NX was announced. Zelda was pretty much the only game I had in mind when I bought it. Guess I'll console myself with Starfox Zero and Xenoblade...

If they do pull a TP then I hope that there's noticeable differences in graphics/performance in the two versions so that it's not akin to the Wii version of TP being simply a gamecube game with motion controls.
Motion controls and mirrored.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As for WiiU buyers that bought it only for Zelda, idiots.
Who has played the next zelda?
How in the hell are you buying a console for a game that does not even exsists, yet?

Buy the system for games allready released I say. Well worth the money, and think of it this way: If you can afford EVERY game that comes out you should'nt complain.
Never complain about a system or game that you do not own, or about one that nobody has played yet.
Get Xenoblade, Starfox, Pikmin 3, Zelda Windwaker, SM 3D World, Super Smash Bros, Monter Hunter 3, Boyonetta 2, Mariokart 8 + DLC, DonkeyKong Country TF, and some Eshop titles that gets your interest and enjoy your console.
Allready talking 500 euro-ish here for mentioned games, there are alot more worth your cash but, if you own a 360-ps3, take a good look what benifits a wiiu copy of a multiplat game. Always try to go second hand. Enough money to spend I think on one console.
WiiU has served me good upon now, every thing that comes out worthwhile is bonus.
I allready spend enough on it, and you can always softmod vWii for more fun.

There's really nothing to complain about Nintendo's wiiU, it's a fun system.
Seems people are expecting Nintendo pulling a (golden) rabbit out a hat. Some world changing game or something.
I know they've set the bar very high on games in general, but try setting it lower for your purchases.
I now enjoy games a little more, even if they aren't up to these Nintendo standards.
( XBOX 360/ PC )
360 games can be had for DIRT DIRT cheap now( allthough no resale value...

Reactions: Seroczynski

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Hiel @ There's people that bought the Wii U either for Rayman Legends exclusivity, Bayonetta 2 or Zelda so it's the publishers' fault for making false promises that they'd arrive in time.

No need for damage control, you know.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
...pardon? I can see where your logic is coming from, but it's clear the game was nowhere near finished for a start: all we've really seen, aside from the odd setpiece-like section, is a background map and what looks like a few areas of randomly placed trees that look exactly the same - it isn't gonna be that difficult to port that over to a new engine on new hardware, just get the engine running and feed in what you've made. Your comparison with Twilight Princess is incorrect as that game ended up launching on both consoles - I think it's quite clear this game won't be coming to Wii U: 'TBD' does allow them to do an about turn and release on Wii U if the console suddenly starts shifting millions of units and thus a big budget AAA game like Zelda become a viable option, but I know, you know, and Nintendo knows that won't happen. Architecture doesn't mean half as much as you think if the game is in such an unfinished state, better in this case to drag the notes over and ditch the current code.
You think Zelda U is nothing but concepts and a demo? Aonuma said that it takes roughly 5 years for a new flagship Zelda to be developed. That in mind it's very much possible that Zelda U was finished 30-50% when the demo was shown at E3.

About Twilight Princess, it seems you didn't get what I said. Of course Twilight Princess ended up on both GC and Wii. That was my point I intended to make. The reason this was possible is because of the similarity between the GC and Wii. Wii plays GC games natively because it's an upgraded GC. Therefore it's easy to port GC code to Wii code. The NX anf Wii U won't have similar hardware according to a rumor. Therefore it's more difficult to port the existent Wii U build to NX and hence why I made the Twilight Princess comparison.

Also it's probable that Zelda U was developed with the Gamepad in mind. Since Nintendo doesn't intend to repeat the mistakes of the Wii U, the NX probably won't have a Gamepad.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The NX anf Wii U won't have similar hardware according to a rumor. Therefore it's more difficult to port the existent Wii U build to NX and hence why I made the Twilight Princess comparison.

More difficult, but hardly impossible sunbeam.... and you seem to be basing your assumptions that literally the day before the public announcement of the Wii U version 'delay' they stopped working on that version... and you seem to be assuming the entire 5 years of a game's development is literally being spent throwing tree, boulder, character into the game code, which isn't the case.
Nothing wrong with comparing to Twilight Princess by the way, but this is a different game, in more than one way ;)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
^ (WiiUBricker) Zelda Wii U never looked like it'd be used in much of motion control as was SS so what could the clunky pointless fake tablet be used for?

- Tool box
- First person view
- Control Epona's driving through motion controls

But in the end, none of it seems actually worthwhile.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I want to say that it's going to be a Wii U exclusive because I'd hate to have to wait until the NX releases, but I'm not sure.
Still I think people are overreacting a bit to this. It could mean that they have changed their mind about not releasing in 2015, or maybe they just saw that it would take longer than expected so they MIGHT not be able to finish it in 2016. I doubt it has much to do with the NX release, even if they did decide to release it on both Wii U and NX, they could just release it on Wii U first and NX later. Unless they plan on making it NX exclusive I don't think they will delay the release until the NX launches.
You think Zelda U is nothing but concepts and a demo? Aonuma said that it takes roughly 5 years for a new flagship Zelda to be developed. That in mind it's very much possible that Zelda U was finished 30-50% when the demo was shown at E3.

About Twilight Princess, it seems you didn't get what I said. Of course Twilight Princess ended up on both GC and Wii. That was my point I intended to make. The reason this was possible is because of the similarity between the GC and Wii. Wii plays GC games natively because it's an upgraded GC. Therefore it's easy to port GC code to Wii code. The NX anf Wii U won't have similar hardware according to a rumor. Therefore it's more difficult to port the existent Wii U build to NX and hence why I made the Twilight Princess comparison.

Also it's probable that Zelda U was developed with the Gamepad in mind. Since Nintendo doesn't intend to repeat the mistakes of the Wii U, the NX probably won't have a Gamepad.
As long as the SDK is similar, porting is easy. Architecture doesn't matter so much, as long as they're not using assembly.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
More difficult, but hardly impossible sunbeam.... and you seem to be basing your assumptions that literally the day before the public announcement of the Wii U version 'delay' they stopped working on that version... and you seem to be assuming the entire 5 years of a game's development is literally being spent throwing tree, boulder, character into the game code, which isn't the case.
Nothing wrong with comparing to Twilight Princess by the way, but this is a different game, in more than one way ;)
What nonsense are you saying? I am the one who think they stopped working on the Wii U version? Please read my post again. I am the one who thinks they continued working on the Wii U version and I am the one who thinks an NX version will never happen. You have it all backwards, mate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey