Nintendo Labo announced

Nintendo has revealed the announcement they were teasing for today, and at 10 PM GMT, the Nintendo Labo was revealed to the public. Focusing on three key tenets of "make, play, and discover", the Nintendo Labo are "Toy-Cons" that consist of cardboard and can be crafted together to create things such as a little piano, house, fishing rod, and more. The Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons are then placed within them, for interactivity. To start, there will be two kits, one that's a variety kit which includes a fishing rod, 2 cars, a house, a motorbike handlebar, and a piano. The second, is a "robotic backpack suit". The products will cost $69.99 or $79.99 respectively.

Both sets will release on April 20, 2018, and Nintendo will be holding hands-on events to demo the Nintendo Labo in New York City from Feb. 2-3, and in San Francisco from Mar. 2-4. If you're interested, you can register for that here. The Labo will require folding the cardboard in order to make it form into the object you want, by following the guidlines provided in the box. Some of the creations will also have minigames that utilize the Joy-Cons, where you use the rumbling from the controller in order to know when to reel in the fishing pole. Also shown was a piano, which plays music when the cardboard keys are pressed.

zxUpDrE.png

vJcQ17Z.png

Get ready to Make, Play and Discover with Nintendo Labo! Nintendo Labo is a new line of interactive build-and-play experiences that combine DIY creations with the magic of Nintendo Switch. Available on April 20, 2018.

:arrow: Official Site

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
The problem is, cardboard will break when used, it will bend, it will wear out, SO is Nintendo gonna replace it when it does?
It's good for 1 thing: BUY as a COLLECTORS item and sell many years later as very rare retro stuff (like ROB, but ROB was made of plactic and durable)

(Take a look at cardbard when used with greasy fingers (the piano thing, etc...) and you can't wash it clean.)

wafflestick

(insert title here)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty cool but should be something they started including with the switch consoles being produced going forward, rather than sell as a separate product

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can get the same thing at Mc.Donalds with a Big Mac for way less...
DEAD :rofl2:

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Y'all must not have done much arts and crafts as a kid if you think this stuff won't be easy to replace, or even make your own if you get hold of the software, which has all the cutouts illustrated in the in-game building instructions.

I kinda want to try the piano and robot but I don't think I'd buy this for myself. Though I'd rather get this for a kid than some Skylanders cash grab.

Now if they come up with a cardboard HOTAS shell they'll have all my attention.

Last edited by specht,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to type, "gaaa -snipped 5200 a- aaay"

as a joke, but now that I see many people are, ahem... "taking the piss" on this thing (Did I do the british right?) I'll say what I honestly think and feel...

I won't be getting it, but damn this is actually really cool!
Hahaha! @Issac I'm sorry hahah! I just thought it'd be comical haha!

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hey Nintendo, how's about you catch up with the other consoles first, including your own handhelds? The Switch still has no (official) web browser, no multimedia player, no YouTube client, no Netflix, pretty much no multimedia apps at all besides Niconico which is specific to Japan. You've had time since March. You've made a £279,99 tablet that doesn't do anything, that should be disconcerting.
So anyways, what's your opinion on this thing?

Reactions: KingVamp

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That announcement really was a surprise, I don't think anyone could have predicted this.
It looks pretty cool, the price is a bit steep though considering it's just cardboard boxes, even if you get quite a lot of stuff in one pack.
$20-$30 seems like a more reasonable price.
I wonder how well they will actually work, considering they just seem to make use of the JoyCons' motion sensors and IR camera, which aren't really designed for precision, and they're trying to do some fairly complex stuff with rather basic hardware there (like the piano thing)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: What the heck is that emote SylverReZ using?