Nintendo just paid off 3 people for the HackerOne Program

01b07c077f.png

Last year, Nintendo debutted its HackerOne program that involved giving a bounty of range of $100 - $20,000 to hackers that disclose their system exploits and vulnerabilities for the 3DS. Everyone thought it wouldn't work out for Nintendo, but just around last month the program was extended to include the Nintendo Switch too.

Just recently as you can see in the picture, three people were rewarded so far, however the amounts paid will not be made public. It seems as if a few hackers wouldn't mind giving out their newfound exploits for some easy cash, hopefully for the sake of the Switch hacking scene, it isn't the same with our own resident hackers.

A few examples of what information Nintendo is interested in receiving:
  • System vulnerabilities regarding Nintendo Switch
    • Privilege escalation from userland
    • Kernel takeover
    • ARM® TrustZone® takeover
  • Vulnerabilities regarding Nintendo-published applications for Nintendo Switch
    • Userland takeover
  • System vulnerabilities regarding the Nintendo 3DS family of systems
    • Privilege escalation on ARM® ARM11™ userland
    • ARM11 kernel takeover
    • ARM® ARM9™ userland takeover
    • ARM9 kernel takeover

:arrow:Source

Last edited by Chary,

KasaiWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Meh it's up to them if they do so or not. It is their mods/hacks afterall. Money is a powerful incentive though and it can speak volumes.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
People are wailing about this but those aren't (to my knowledge) well-known console hackers. This means that the program is doing what it set out to do: attract private security experts to help plug holes before hackers can get to them. These are people trying to earn an honest living, so (black and white) hats off to them. Some of these individuals might even have done this under company contracts.

I want to see the Switch hacked as much as anyone, but there's no point belly-aching about the people working against it. There's always been people working against it.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@0x40

To answer your last question. Heres what I suggested.

Require authentication when downloading off CDN, that would stop all PC programs from getting eShop games so easily. Also try harder taking down warez hosting sites, what's the point of reporting them if they aren't going to do shit about it.

The way they left both the Wii and the Wii U to dry doesn't feel like they are trying either. It's been over a year since the Wii U's last update.

But what do I know, I'm just someone looking from the outside in.

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
All i can say after thinking about this is, what if someone user's a well-known hackers name like wololo or smealum for example and yet they get torn for no reason yet no one will believe if it's true or not as it's right their in black and white.

My opinion? Bad idea to show user names, should be kept internal, otherwise why not just state the value also since for the "lols" as this will cause grief and a fallout of the hacker's of the scene and at the end, Nintendo will love that afterall.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I like Nintendo consoles and the games for it. If this benefits Nintendo and secures their vision, future and profitability then I'm happy with it.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this is motivation for those that DO opt to continue working for free to actually release their stuff in a timely manner and not sit on it for months and wait for it to be patched up, before some random person stumbles across the same exploit and reports it to nintendo for (probably the lowest amount of what they're offering up) money.

Last edited by dubbz82,

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is that abandoning it? That's like saying my passion is photography and I've abandoned it by selling one of my pictures.

More like previously releasing all of your photography for free then one day deciding to throw it behind a paywall. I can understand why people would be tempted to do this, but if you're going to make a comparison, make it a fair one.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
More like previously releasing all of your photography for free then one day deciding to throw it behind a paywall. I can understand why people would be tempted to do this, but if you're going to make a comparison, make it a fair one.

Eh. That analogy only works if these devs/hackers decide to never release for the community.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Pomegrenade

photon readings negative
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
How is that abandoning it? That's like saying my passion is photography and I've abandoned it by selling one of my pictures.
Okay first a little background info, hacking a console or exploiting is considered either blackhat or grayhat hacking, therefore meaning that if they are getting paid, they are falling into whitehat hacking, therefore abandoning their 'console hacking' hobby

BTW, it's nice that you get money for your hobby, I do the same for my animations, just not hacking or homebrew
Anyway, no hard feelings :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.