WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

The Splatoon franchise is so big in Japan that the first wave of the recently announced Splatoon 2 hardware bundle sold out at amazon in an instant. However, Nintendo is selling an empty box of the bundle for around $5. No console, no game, just an empty box.

I'm sure some people will call Nintendo out for being greedy, but maybe you can argue that it's an attempt to stop scalpers. You can buy the regular console with the game and put them in the empty box. It's just like the real thing.

What do you think? Should other companies do the same in offering empty boxes of highly sought out collector's items?

:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Great, so now idiots here in the states will buy these empty boxes on eBay thinking they're getting an actual switch and Splatoon 2 bundle early from japan for cheap.
I love how America is the only stupid country in some people's eyes.. Hm...

Regardless, a nice collectors item. So you don't have to browse eBay and pay stupid prices for a BOX.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, so now idiots here in the states will buy these empty boxes on eBay thinking they're getting an actual switch and Splatoon 2 bundle early from japan for cheap.
If people are stupid enough to believe that a $300 console (in a bundle that isn't even out yet) would be so readily available and/or cheap on eBay it's their own damn fault.

ATofix

Sloth. That's it.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what's new? Remember the water bottle that sold on e-bay for like 100 bucks from Nintendo? Anyhow. THAT BUNDLE WILL BE MINE!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's stupid, but honestly?
I think $5 is a fair price for a box that will no doubt become a collectors item and sell for 5-10 times as much.
I don't really have anything against this. People who want the box for collecting purposes will buy it and won't have to pay scalpers for it.
It's a bit odd for them to officially sell just the box though. I wonder what their thoughts behind that was. Maybe "People have been selling empty boxes of our products for so long, let's cash in on those fools willing to pay money for an empty box", but something tells me there was more thought behind it than that. Maybe it's just my imagination though.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think $5 is a fair price for a box that will no doubt become a collectors item and sell for 5-10 times as much.
Just out of morbid curiosity: do you have links to sites where people actually bought console boxes at these prices? :unsure:

(I've heard of people buying broken consoles for modding or spare parts, but this one takes the cake)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just out of morbid curiosity: do you have links to sites where people actually bought console boxes at these prices? :unsure:

(I've heard of people buying broken consoles for modding or spare parts, but this one takes the cake)
Not really :P
I must have remembered wrong, I was thinking of BotW Special Edition and seemed to remember the boxes went for about $30, but it's only half that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Legend-of-Z...613484?hash=item3f79099fac:g:yFcAAOSww3tY3zx6
I think $15 for an empty box is still a bit much, $5 is reasonable enough though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If you can find enough for it