Nintendo is renaming Pikachu in China

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
250px-025Pikachu.png

Pikachu was originally translated as 比卡超 (Bei-kaa-chyu) in Hong Kong. Now it is named 皮卡丘 (Pikaqiu). While the name 皮卡丘 in Mandarin sounds similar to the global name Pikachu (as it was always called in China and Taiwan), it reads as Pei-kaa-jau in Cantonese, which doesn’t sound the same at all.

On Monday (May 30) morning, dozens of Hong Kong protesters marched to the Japanese Consulate in Central, demanding Nintendo adopt a different Cantonese translation for the new Pokémon video game in Hong Kong.
:arrow: Source

Reactions: migles

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
why it needed a renaming?
well why did US version renamed over 500 pokemon (and human characters that is worse ) to start with? XD

well now they are getting an offcial version but if is what the fans want ...

I would be really sad if an offcial portuguese version follow what "we are used" here in Brazil...
to start with the anime version never cared to proniciante Pikachu right ... I can't explain the sound but it's like "pikashoo" not "pikatyuu"
Also the other over nine tosuand pokemon, or siglith adapted of the english version (magicarp -> magicarpa Bulbasaur> bulbassauro... wtf is a "bulba" in portuguese? sound Like "vulva" and... don't search it if you are under 18 :v) or the english name with portuguese pronunciation if we can read it, like charmander is just reading , "squirtle", "jigglypuff" is smilar to english because it sound terrible if just "read"
Also people that don't watch the anime and play, say the names on the mostly variety of forms lololo(Not counting a LOT of other problens xp pokemon here is a stupid mess lol)
and the otaku like me that rather the original name xD (I'm just against people name changing... pokemon are a interesting stuff, it's bad that italian and spanish do for humans but not for the pokes :v)
But for a Brazilain official version I would rather having new names for the pokemon and original/Japanese for the humans , I don't care that e are 20 years used to shit, a well made work value more than bad made stuff just because we are used...and if someone want the englsh names, play the english version, right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Unfortunately it means nothing :/
Talking about pokemon and translation... XD

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
well why did US version renamed over 500 pokemon (and human characters that is worse ) to start with? XD
but this is another situation..
pikachu is around for 25 years IIRC
renaming stuff for release in other countries is a totally normal procedure.. but thinking to renaming something that is already known for 25 years, i mean.. why they didn't bothered to do it earlier? what did changed to think now it's a bigger problem than 25 years ago?

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
but this is another situation..
pikachu is around for 25 years IIRC
renaming stuff for release in other countries is a totally normal procedure.. but thinking to renaming something that is already known for 25 years, i mean.. why they didn't bothered to do it earlier? what did changed to think now it's a bigger problem than 25 years ago?
They changed Pluto from being a planet to a dwarf planet, nobody complained.
Name changes for flora and fauna have also occurred in the past when necessary.

Seeing as Pokemon studies are treated as in real life I don't see the problem about a name change.

Reactions: migles

azublazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, protesters over a fictional video game/cartoon character's name? Shit like that would never go down in 'Murica.

Edit: I take it back. I bet bronies would flip their lids if they wanted to change a MLP character's name.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
They changed Pluto from being a planet to a dwarf planet, nobody complained.
well there are complains ... I remeber that lol but mostly memes

Name changes for flora and fauna have also occurred in the past when necessary.

Seeing as Pokemon studies are treated as in real life I don't see the problem about a name change.
this is not the same thing or reason to change Satoshi to Ash or worse, Sakura to SAYO (yes changing the japanese name form a we-can-tell-it's-not-a-japanese to ANOTHER FKNG JAPANESE NAME ) and the others "kimono girls "
Come on, Mickey mouse is Mickey all around the world, ok Pikachu too, but why to change person name? pokemon are like fauna stuff so it's nice to have different names per country but the people? Everybody know the stuff come from japan, so why care to change? talking that " Kids would like/can be able to talk" is like saying the children are all dummies because they can name all Naruto and Avatar (ok it's murika, but chinese names, come on) character without problems lol

Anyway about the getting official version I think It's valid in taiwan, like I told it should be here when we get an official version...

Lol, protesters over a fictional video game/cartoon character's name? Shit like that would never go down in 'Murica.

Edit: I take it back. I bet bronies would flip their lids if they wanted to change a MLP character's name.
nah a lot ofpeople compained about 4Kids works, and mostly anime but yeah there are two kind of people, that have mostly fun playing the way they can, don't mind about general changes if the gameplay is good, and the others that are more there for the history and want stuff close as he original possible or at least some good localziation work, not something just pretending it's not made in japan xD

Reactions: Sakitoshi

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@Sliter
I was only talking about the Pokemons. But yeah, I also dislike name changes for characters.
My name is Jorge but not because I go to an English talking country my name is now George, I'm still Jorge.
on english clases I've got the techer made us sure that name don't change withthe language xD Sadly USA localizator don't agree it lol

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First thing I have to say...
I don't think there exist a game with display language in Cantonese.

I think Cantonese is more likely a spoken language, even it has a much longer history than mandarin.(correct me if I'm wrong.)

Let's say Naruto Shipudden and other games that have T-Chinese, NONE of them are using Cantonese as it display language.:)
Audiences group is too small.

Like most Computer or smartphone OS: S-Chinese(mainland); T-Chinese(TW); T-Chinese(HK) This is the perfect solution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Psionic Roshambo i didn't go amd for one specific reason, the AI performance is way behind nvidia
    +1
    i just got a 4070ti
    oh yeah also DLSS is a pretty solid reason to go nvidia since fidelityfx is kinda crap
    and now with the rtx video upscaling, and sdr->hdr conversion, even more reason to go nvidia
    both of which work well in potplayer
    amd is a bit cheaper though
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Cheaper and they are less stingy with the RAM not a big issue now but I can imagine in a yard or two things might be different
    Year not yard lol
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?