Nintendo Increases SNES Classic Inventory, NES Classic Returning to Stores

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tom Bombadildo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    You already coincidentally had all 30 cartridges in your collection from way back then and a method to dump your own carts, and emulate them on a console or computer hooked up to tv XD

I bet you Nintendo isn't just doing this in response to the scalpers but a quick search on any popular Chinese "wholesale" website will yield a lot of results for knockoff versions that come with roughly 500 games preloaded for around $30 (USD).

Obviously the consoles themselves are legal as the NES patents ran out ages ago, but there's no way the games on them are licensed by Nintendo or anyone else for that matter. The games are still protected. I'm sure Nintendo is prolly trying to take back the market from the pirate sellers.

Last edited by TeamScriptKiddies, Sep 14, 2017 - Reason: Counterfeits galore
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Nobody has ever managed to qualify that. I see it bandied about in these sorts of discussions but have not found a case referencing it, can't see the law that would reflect it and even going back to the guiding civil law principle of harm done I can't see it either, give or take an ultra strict reading of the EULA. To that end I would argue that mere ownership of the work in most forms (sometimes emulation is actually more of a remake and that can make going backwards a bit more tricky), be it cart or virtual console, could see you pull it off.

As for patents that is also a hard sell. If emulation is legal by virtue of a simple/obvious arrangement of processors being unable to be protected you then get to look at things like the dpad http://www.google.com/patents/US4687200 .

3. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    I knew it was good of me not to cash in on a scalped product! It's also good of Nintendo to do something to prevent the scalping situation.. I look forward to getting an SNES Classic Edition and/or an NES Classic Edition.

4. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    They aren't doing a thing to preveny scalping trust me... It's all a marketing campaign to tell consumers they weren't making anymore... And then announce just a few months later that they will produce more just to hype the POS even more... Ninty will now have hoards of people rinning into stores now once again, FOMO at it's best...

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    Hey, I trust Nintendo to keep their word.

6. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    It's certainly a grey area, that's for sure. Either way, it's definitely illegal with all the pirates games pre-installed. As for other clones (that don't include any bootleg games) to the best of my knowledge are legal (in most countries), but you do being up a good point. It's never really been brought to court and decided either way for certain....

7. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    inb4 hakchi3 :^)
    Seriously, how long do you guys think it'll be until the SNES Classic is hacked? And do you think they fixed hakchi2 in the new batch of NES Classics?

8. Home_Rowed

Home_Rowed GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2006
    United States
    Agreed. They'll do the same with SNES too.

9. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    hope we won't have to deal with the jerkbag scalpers again

DJPlace and sks316 like this.
  10. busmanl30

busmanl30 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2017
    United States
    Noi
    NICEEEE

sks316 likes this.
  11. CreeperdivoHomebrewer

CreeperdivoHomebrewer The Guy Who Killed Paladin Danse

Jan 4, 2016
    Canada
    Boston 2287
    Thats good news. Tell me it will be hackable to be able to barley run fallout 1?

sks316 likes this.
  12. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    yeah i was about to become one of those assholes with my snes classic and buy 2 of them but now i don't have to WOOT WOOT!

13. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Buy me one. jk

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  14. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I'll believe it when I see either one of them on store shelves or in stock anywhere online. Nintendo's word is worth nothing.

15. SonicFan2005

SonicFan2005 Banned

Banned
    Sep 26, 2017
    United States
    Green Hill Zone
    isnt the nes classic a rip off of the genesis classic game console? i am not trying to sound like fanboy, and i am not saying i dont want the nes classic (i love nes games) im just wondering if they got the idea of sega, because i have been seeing the sega classic since 2014

16. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Prolly day one, I doubt that they would have done a board revision for something that costs so little. I'm guessing that both the SNES and NES Classic are running on the same hardware

sks316 likes this.
  17. Reyn_the_Insane

Reyn_the_Insane Mega Man Fanatic

Feb 1, 2017
    United States
    OVAH DEAH!
    This just in, Hakchi 2 can dump the SNES kernal as is, and write roms to it. It's already hacked before release.

rileysrjay, sks316 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  18. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Called it

19. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    The Genesis classic game console is made by a third party. NES Classic is made officially by Nintendo.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    And Atari have had a joystick shaped like a classic Atari controller which plugs into your TV since 2003 or so.
    http://ed.toton.org/reviews/atari-tvgame.html
    http://uk.ign.com/games/jakks-tv-games-atari

Even without that Nintendo have been selling emulated collections of their games since 2004 ( http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbreleases.php?id=1364 ), the original xbox had homebrew emulators in 2003 at least https://www.xbins.org/index.php?action=catsearch&searchtxt=XBOX&startAt=1160 , the PS1 had any number of old game collections released for it (Namco Museum had stuff in 1995 in Japan) and the idea is obvious to anybody slightly versed in tech. The only real questions are can you make the device it runs on cheap enough and how much is licensing any games for it going to cost you.