Nintendo Increases SNES Classic Inventory, NES Classic Returning to Stores

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Tom Bombadildo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    If you want to speed run, only real console hardware and/or official emulation solutions are permitted.

What irks me, is that Nintendo spent 22 years denying the existence of star fox 2, since argonaut software was doing a better star fox than shiggy and team for star fox 64, but now that I guess the statutes of limitations on murder and betrayal have ended in japan-land, Nintendo of Japan deem fit to finally acknowledge it exists by only releasing it for an ultra scarce micro console, rather than even an option for it as virtual console on the WiiU, or even the Nintendo switch.

DarthDub likes this.

2. RY0M43CH1Z3N

RY0M43CH1Z3N GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2017
    Spain
    Caos
    Good good.

3. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Finally someone who thinks similar! Like sure I had fun with Star Fox 64, but when I played the leaked beta of Star Fox 2, I loved it way more!

4. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    A Switch with a tiny screen? I need exactly that in my life :P

Why on earth is official emulation permitted? Alot of SMW speedruns use the many bugs in this fantastic game, I doub Nintendo didn't introduced new hard-to-find bugs with there emulation. Or get they counted as seperated games then, SMW and SMW (emulated on SNES mini)?

Last edited by VitaType, Sep 12, 2017
  5. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I've yet to play it. For several reasons. Most of all, the fact that I knew that there was never a completed, release build available anywhere. But also I suppose the other was that flash carts now won't even try to get star fox, mega man x or Mario RPG to run st all. So I'd only ever had been able to play on an emulator.

Most recently been wanting to stream and broadcast gameplay, and do speed runs, with the eventual goal of maybe being picked for a gdq. So that has the constraint of real hardware or official emulation only. Short of hitting the lottery, I don't see myself being able to even have a chance to play star fox 2 properly because of scalpers. :evil::whip::cry:

6. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    It's probably gonna be ripped.

7. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    when nintendo release 3DS classic i still won't be able to buy a NEW 3DS

8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    great, now watch as the scalpers with nes minis try to sell off their stock below market price, finally revealing that nintendo initially produced just enough to satisfy the true demand (the demand without scalpers), leaving the fresh batch of nes minis on the shelves.

and watch the same thing happening to the snes mini, as they'll clearly overproduce that thing now

9. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    So? At least I'll be able to walk in and buy one.

codezer0 likes this.
  10. codezer0

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    And then put every nes game ever made, and some romhacks on it for good measure.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Basically that. There are indeed separate categories on popular games that did get the virtual console treatment, on the off chance of differences that yield or warrant new routing. Or faster loads from a cd-based game replayed digitally.

VitaType likes this.
  11. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    Great!!! Scalpers eat that!!! Now I hope retailers don't take that role... -_-

That "crying" is something only Nintendo can cause... and only to those that (as myself) enjoy playing those oldies that keep being more fun than nowadays "ultra-mega-super-Hi-Res games" that can't provoke that feeling from old times.

Most developers and game editors have forgotten what is the meaning of G-A-M-E and F-U-N and have focused on over-"remastering" the very same game again and again on those so-called high-end consoles.

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    They used a shoddy emulator is all, in fact, all official Mega Drive/Genesis emulators have always been shoddy. Genesis Plus and Kega Fusion have been the only good unofficial ones. ATGames products are garbage as well. The Snes Classic however, is the best Snes emulation we've seen in an official product, more so than the Wii and miles ahead on the Wii U's Snes emulation.

And on the other hand, there are people who are too stubborn to move away from Zsnes and swear it's the most accurate emulator ever lol.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Sep 13, 2017
  13. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    That crying is from a self garnered sense of entitlement. There are other ways to get that feeling you're talking about. Whether original hardware, or better means of emulation that can be achieved on a pretty wide array of hardware. The only plus from this particular hardware setup (aside from it being official) is the nostalgic factor you get from the looks. Also makes a good collectible, but even then..

Take what I say however you like. The crying is annoying. I see and hear it everywhere.

14. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N oh no

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Sixth Circle of Hell
    Sorry if I seem skeptical, but how, exactly, is the emulation on the SNES Classic better over something like higan or the Wii U VC? I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

15. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    And it's also 100% legal, so, yeah, there's that going for it.

Higan, no, Wii U VC, easy. NERD is developing the emulator, which is far more accurate than Nintendo's shoddily-written Snes emulator on the Wii U. It's not dark, it's not blurry, and it actually runs Super FX games, so yeah, it's better than that piece of crap.

Wii U Snes VC is dark to reduce epilepsy, supposedly. Super FX emulation is missing, yeah, that's kind of bleeding obvious. Final Fantasy VI hasn't been released stateside on the Wii U, nor has Chrono Trigger. Hmm, what else can I list to prove that Snes emulation on Wii U is horrendous?

16. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Riiiiight... Anyyywaaaay

17. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Give me a fucking break.

18. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    You're entirely right though. :P It's a completely legal way to relive the lost days without spending a pretty good chunk.. Assuming you get it before it's gone.

Just not a big point for me. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Last edited by Memoir, Sep 13, 2017
  19. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's easy for you to say :(

The Snes emulation on the Wii U sucks balls, because it can't even emulate Super FX games, is blurry, dark/drab, bad aspect ratio, no pixel perfect mode, the list goes on. Do people seriously think the Wii U Snes emulation is better than the Snes Classic? Ha ha ha ha ha, that's a joke, right?:lol:

NERD, the team who developed the DS emulator on Wii U, wrote this emulator. Nintendo wrote the Snes VC emu, and let's be honest, it outright sucks xD

20. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N oh no

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Sixth Circle of Hell
    Alright. I was just wondering about that. Might still stick to Higan for me, though; emulation is just easier for me.