Gaming Nintendo have released Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the eShop 50% off £8.99

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
They made SHIT loads of money on PS2s. It is one of the most successful consoles (or is the most successful?) ever made. It was shipping consoles till god knows when. In work today in hospital I saw a kid playing a PS2 slim in bed!

I think they honestly went for developing cell technology because they thought it would become the standard. Therefore no matter who used it, they would profit (this includes the Xbox and Nintendo). They'd have a monopoly on the whole console market with their superior technology and would control what everyone got. In reality it was stupid because they were playing with Microsoft who basically just play the gaming market for fun.

It was clear when Sony offered their Blu Ray technology to Microsoft and Nintendo. Its the same theory they had with blu-ray but sadly back in 2006, consumers were more than happy to hold onto their DVDs and MS/Nintendo did not want to cave in.

Now Sony are back to the basics gaming (which is probably due to how poor they're doing financially as company), and its working for them.

This generation its clear that Virtual Reality and all that crap is going to be another potential pitfall for the big 2. I'm sure Nintendo will go no where near it (because they're scared of current technology and like to be a generation behind) but MS + Sony will eventually in a few years invest some money into it and then try to push it on us.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Project Morpheus is going to flop hard. HoloLens is also nothing to write home about. Unless we have non-wearable VR technology, nothing like this is going to catch on.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Yup. I think unless its done really really really well, nothing will change by investing in those technologies ATM.

The big games like COD/FIFA which Xbox One + PS4 casuals love will be unaffected.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
In every way that matters from a "profitability" stand point.

You don't win a console generation based on having the better games, better online or hardware when you talk about "profitability" (I'm once again quoting you).

Bad branding and bad advertising is hard for ANY product to overcome. Anyway, thats moving the topic away from your post and your mention of profitability and associating with the PS3. You are plain wrong unless you want to change the definition of profitability.

From a quality of gaming perspective... well its very subjective. I think the PS3 might just edge it in terms of exclusives although if you look at the Wii's library, it is insanely good for such an underpowered console. From an online experience, of course it doesn't do well but that has nothing to do with "profitability".

"96 million consoles sold

Mario Kart wii 32 million units sold
Wii Sports Resort 30 million units sold
Wii Play 28 million unit sold
New Super Mario Bros. Wii 26 million units sold
Wii Fit 22 million units sold
Wii Fit Plus 20 million units sold"

Where'd you get those numbers from, VGChartz? Yeah, it's really trustworthy. Seeing that PS3's still selling well it'll possibly take over the Wii sales of which barely of its 'players' made use of. Feel free to say how many of those casual consumers actually used the Wii for more than a week before packing it in their shelf or w/e.

Wii just has a few worthwhile exclusives owning whereas PS3 has a huge chunk, so it's not even debatable really.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Where'd you get those numbers from, VGChartz? Yeah, it's really trustworthy. Seeing that PS3's still selling well it'll possibly take over the Wii sales of which barely of its 'players' made use of. Feel free to say how many of those casual consumers actually used the Wii for more than a week before packing it in their shelf or w/e.

Wii just has a few worthwhile exclusives owning whereas PS3 has a huge chunk, so it's not even debatable really.

Do you know how much money the PS3 lost in just its R&D and the first year of its life based on -$300 per console?
Let me get this straight. You actually think the PS3 made more money than the Wii? If so, I'll stop now as you're obviously very confused.

Exclusives don't matter when it comes to profitability. The wii made money in every single aspect of its life span from the console build on previous gen technology to the overpriced controllers. This isn't speculation. Exclusives don't increase profitability which is what you said.

also for my reference it was just a quote from another person on the internet hence the quote marks but here is a better reference:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wii.html

TBH you're just plain wrong. why do people on the internet find it so hard to admit that? You said the PS3 was profitable. It was not for a long long time. Check the sony sales figures and then come back.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
During the previous generation Wii literally printed money for Nintendo while Sony execs wiped their butts with the few bills they still had because the PS3 depleted everything and then some. That's how it was.

Reactions: aofelix

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
During the previous generation Wii literally printed money for Nintendo while Sony execs wiped their butts with the few bills they still had because the PS3 depleted everything and then some. That's how it was.

This is basically the best way to put it.

The wii was RIDICULOUS. Its the reason why Nintendo aren't scared at the moment. They can sit on the Wii Profits. They didn't R&D much at all into the Wii U compared to Sony's R&D into the PS3 which is also probably why they haven't dumped the Gamepad and revamped the OS yet.

Its old generation hardware with overpriced controllers using motion technology which wasn't even that sophisticated. It required a NEW controller as they refined the technology (motion plus) and passed all the expenditure onto the consumer in the form of a £45-£50 controller. Testament to the Wii's mass appeal were third party developers willing to making brand new Wii Games for their existing titles.. not even ports since the tech specs were so different to the 360/PS3.

Wiicube gamer sorry if I'm coming across as rude. I actually thought the same as you a couple of years ago as I looked at the PS3 software library, looked at the many many people I knew who had a PS3 and presumed it did pretty well but didn't. Watch this:

Here's the exact quote taken from a feature in the latest issue of the UK's Nintendo Gamer magazine: "Buried in reams of financial data is the revelation that Nintendo have 812.8 billion Yen (£6.7/$10.5 billion) in the bank - enough for it to take a 20 billion Yen loss (£163/$257 million) every year until 2052.

On the other hand you will be hard pressed to find a quote saying how much Sony made from the PS3. Even a simple google search will show search suggestions of "how much did sony make from the PS2" and "how much did son make from the Ps4" before Ps3.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I think the PS3 might just edge it in terms of exclusives although if you look at the Wii's library, it is insanely good for such an underpowered console
Exclusives don't matter when it comes to profitability.

Your previous comment regarding the exclusives differ and with that, Wii's library is filled with shovelware shit that's not worth playing nor owning plus the Wii exclusives barely stand a chance (minus Xeno/PT/LS) against PS3's.

PS3:
  1. Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers
  2. Gran Turismo 5
  3. Gran Turismo 6
  4. Uncharted
  5. Uncharted 2
  6. Uncharted 3
  7. J-Stars Victory Vs.
  8. Little Big Planet
  9. Little Big Planet Karting
  10. Last of Us
  11. Bleach: Soul Ressureción
  12. MotorStorm
  13. MotorStorm Apocalypse
  14. Ni No Kuni
  15. Demon Souls
  16. Metal Gear Solid IV
  17. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
  18. Beyond: Two Souls
  19. Heavy Rain
  20. One Piece: Pirate Warriors
  21. Resistance
  22. Killzone 3
  23. ModNation Racers

Wii:
  1. Super Mario Galaxy
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (okay)
  3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (meh)
  4. Mario Kart Wii (bots are assholes)
  5. Xenoblade
  6. Last Story
  7. Pandora's Tower
  8. Kirby's Adventure
  9. Metroid Prime 3
You can't deny that PS3 has a library of exclusives with much more variety.

Don't forget that some of them still have solid online play which is something that can't be said for Wii titles.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Your previous comment regarding the exclusives differ and with that, Wii's library is filled with shovelware shit that's not worth playing nor owning plus the Wii exclusives barely stand a chance (minus Xeno/PT/LS) against PS3's.

PS3:
  1. Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers
  2. Gran Turismo 5
  3. Gran Turismo 6
  4. Uncharted
  5. Uncharted 2
  6. Uncharted 3
  7. J-Stars Victory Vs.
  8. Little Big Planet
  9. Little Big Planet Karting
  10. Last of Us
  11. Bleach: Soul Ressureción
  12. MotorStorm
  13. MotorStorm Apocalypse
  14. Ni No Kuni
  15. Demon Souls
  16. Metal Gear Solid IV
  17. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
  18. Beyond: Two Souls
  19. Heavy Rain
  20. One Piece: Pirate Warriors
  21. Resistance
  22. Killzone 3
  23. ModNation Racers
Wii:
  1. Super Mario Galaxy
  2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (okay)
  3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (meh)
  4. Mario Kart Wii (bots are assholes)
  5. Xenoblade
  6. Last Story
  7. Pandora's Tower
  8. Kirby's Adventure
  9. Metroid Prime 3
You can't deny that PS3 has a library of exclusives with much more variety.

Don't forget that some of them still have solid online play which is something that can't be said for Wii titles.

The portion you quoted said I think the PS3 had better exclusives. The Wii had some excellent titles too and most of which were exclusive (please see: metacritic).

Very subjective game you're playing here. A lot of those exclusives you named I think are fairly average games (4, 7, 9, 11, 17, 19, 20, 21) IMO. Some of those games you might not deem good either. I'm happy to admit the PS3 had great exclusives as did the wii. I think Naughty Dog give PS3 the edge in that department. Also you missed out a lot of good PS3 exclusives such as SOTC Collection and Ni No Kuni. The fact you put a One Piece game made me laugh btw. I love the anime but the games I've played have been utter button bashing childish crap which annoys me.

Wii exclusives I like/respect:
Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Smash Bros BrawlMario Kart WiiWorld of Goo, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, Xenoblade, Last Story, Madworld, Metroid Prime Trilogy, New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Returns, Little Kings Story, Punch Out, Super Paper Mario, Trauma Team, No More Heroes, No More Heroes, Warioware

Anyway, by you trying to move the argument away from money and real facts and towards subjective analysis of videogames/exclusives prove you were in the wrong about the profitability?

I don't feel like debating which console had the better games as its all just way too subjective. I don't even want to argue FOR the Wii as I don't own a Wii in terms of quality of games. I only emulate the games on dolphin. I was only arguing the Wii's profitability because it is a FACT. Not because I'm a wii fanboy. I'm not, I don't own one. I own a PS3. I loved lots of its games and believe it kills the 360 and probably edges the wii for quality of exclusive titles.. then when multi platforms come into it, it wins comfortably. But I can also do simple math and read... and see how financially it was not Sony's smartest move.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Also you missed out a lot of good PS3 exclusives such as SOTC Collection and Ni No Kuni.
Ni No Kuni's missing, really? That just proves you didn't even read the whole list.

I only emulate the games on dolphin.

So you pirate games. Great.

I was only arguing the Wii's profitability
The moment you touched the exclusive games it wasn't about how lucrative one or the other were. But let's end here.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Ni No Kuni's missing, really? That just proves you didn't even read the whole list.

So you pirate games. Great.

The moment you touched the exclusive games it wasn't about how lucrative one or the other were. But let's end here.

What? I said the PS3 had the better exclusives originally. I just gave the wii the credit I believe it is due. The quote you quoted from me said exactly that.

Are you stupid?

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
TLDR: You were wrong about the PS3 being super profitable. You then tried to shift the conversation away onto exclusive titles and which console had the better collection (a debate I did not want to partake in as I believe the PS3 had the better collection of exclusives hence me saying it in my post which you quoted).

I really hope you're not 15 or something as it would be embarrassing that I was debating with one.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This conversation is pointless since you're still stuck to the part of profitability and I was talking about the exclusives. Just stop it. This is going nowhere.

Anyway, bought New Super Luigi U for £14 and sold it today for £36. Scalping is quite a joy.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
This conversation is pointless since you're still stuck to the part of profitability and I was talking about the exclusives. Just stop it. This is going nowhere.

Anyway, bought New Super Luigi U for £14 and sold it today for £36. Scalping is quite a joy.

No, read the conversation again. To summarise.. you mentioned profitability. I quoted that and said the PS3 was not that profitable. . You tried to argue it was using exclusives as baseline measurement of profitability when in reality, profitability is about MONEY. Which Nintendo made shit loads of with the Wii. And Sony made very little of with the Ps3.

I've also just realised who you are as I don't really look at usernames when I post on the forum. Sorry for sounding so condescending during this thread!! you really helped me with those barbie wii U games and I think you're a top guy. sorry if I came across as rude or condescending bro.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I'm not even going to drag out that pointless discussion anymore.

Anyway, Punch Out Wii VC is out now on the US eShop so has anyone with a US Wii U tried out if it also works with the Wii U Pro Controller?

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
(Sorry if I am repeating this question).

How can you extract the files (e.g. brstm file) or the disk image (e.g. ISO file) of the Wii games available on the eShop?
Thanks

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Other M wasn't really a good -Metroid- game and had its share of issues, but it was fun to play. The worst are probably the near impossible I-spy sections and the story.

...how exactly is the prime series crappy? They did basically everything Metroid games normally do right, there was a ton of hidden lore to discover, the story wasn't shoved in your face (for the first one, at least), lots of hidden upgrades, pretty environments, very nicely masked loading times... I and most others loved those games.

Three words:
First Person Shooter

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Three words:
First Person Shooter
If a game belonging to a particular genre makes it automatically bad for you, then you're being unfair towards the game in my opinion. Have you played any first person shooters beside Counter-Strike and Call of Duty?

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
If a game belonging to a particular genre makes it automatically bad for you, then you're being unfair towards the game in my opinion. Have you played any first person shooters beside Counter-Strike and Call of Duty?

I have, lots of them.
Not so much Call of Duty but alot of others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo