Hacking Nintendo Gamecube Controller support for vWii?

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The NGC controller could have been recognised as a Classic Controller and the Wii Mode plays NGC games when hacked, so it wasn't that obvious it'd turn out like this.
It was obvious because a GC controller connected through USB is in no way the same as a Classic Controller/any other controller, a game needs to be programmed with a certain controller in mind in order for that controller to work.

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure there will be updates for certain Wii U games to add GameCube controller support. I mean New Super Mario Bros. U didn't have Wii U Pro controller support until they added it in an update almost 6 months later.

I just think it's stupid that someone at Nintendo said it would get support in almost all Wii U games and then Nintendo received overwhelming praise for this, then they backtracked on it.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that's a new level of grimey. I was thinking of getting the adapter for non smash reasons. Ive got 3-5 gamecube controllers laying around somewhere. I just moved and I abandoned 1 or 2 thinking they were worthless.
Then I got a Wii U and saw the adapter coming, damn I need to find them controllers.
Now this, back to the bottom of the box.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, the fact that it's coming from Nintendo UK doesn't help the story either. If you were going to announce that information it would be through Nintendo Japan/America with an official statement and/or a Nintendo Direct. I don't believe it for one second.

Reactions: the_randomizer

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suppose in theory it is possible to bring support of GC controller to vWii, but that most likely require all IOS inside vWii to be patched to support it. Given the time and effort needed for this and that IOS is structured to fix existing bugs not to add new functionality, unlikely to see it happening.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know gamestop is not a reliable source but here it says that it can be used with super smash bros brawl which means it should be able to used with the rest of vwii mode. http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-gamecube-adapter/115426
Read that again.

It says that because a lot of people grew up using GC controller on Melee and Brawl, Nintendo is releasing this adapter so that these people can also use GC controller on upcoming Bros.

As of this point you cannot use GC controller on Brawl when playing on vWii, only original Wii.

Reactions: pelago

moc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
what mayflash adaptor can I use on vwii to play my gamecube games through nintendont/usbloader gx using a wavebird controller or is it not possible

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I would take it with a huge grain of salt until Nintendo of Japan officially states it.

First comes NoJ then NoA and lastly NoE, so should NoUK be taken seriously for what they stated? Who knows, they are still Nintendo.

I do hope that NoJ/NoA reveals that this can be played with Wii and Wii U games.

AfroJackX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read that again.

It says that because a lot of people grew up using GC controller on Melee and Brawl, Nintendo is releasing this adapter so that these people can also use GC controller on upcoming Bros.

As of this point you cannot use GC controller on Brawl when playing on vWii, only original Wii.
I see but I still no reason why nintendo would not allow you to use it in vwii mode. Do they really think people would pay $20 to use it in one game.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I see but I still no reason why nintendo would not allow you to use it in vwii mode. Do they really think people would pay $20 to use it in one game.
Original Wii does not need this adapter so long as they have GC port. This adapter does not work in vWii and original Wii because neither of them can see this adapter when plugged in.

To make this adapter usable on vWii would require several IOS inside vWii to be patched. Setting time consuming / costly effort aside, this goes against the very reason how IOS were set up to begin with. IOS were designed so that new feature requires separate IOS file and that each Wii game was hardcoded to use a specific IOS. A good example is USB 2.0, only exists in IOS58. There are only 3 Wii game using IOS58 so no other Wii game beside those 3 can use USB 2.0.

Nintendo picked this design so that when they introduce new features it does not introduce bugs on old games. In short, making this adapter usable on vWii is possible, but unlikely.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Original Wii does not need this adapter so long as they have GC port. This adapter does not work in vWii and original Wii because neither of them can see this adapter when plugged in.

To make this adapter usable on vWii would require several IOS inside vWii to be patched. Setting time consuming / costly effort aside, this goes against the very reason how IOS were set up to begin with. IOS were designed so that new feature requires separate IOS file and that each Wii game was hardcoded to use a specific IOS. A good example is USB 2.0, only exists in IOS58. There are only 3 Wii game using IOS58 so no other Wii game beside those 3 can use USB 2.0.

Nintendo picked this design so that when they introduce new features it does not introduce bugs on old games. In short, making this adapter usable on vWii is possible, but unlikely.

So in other words, we'll never see this work on a Wii U in vWii mode. That's just fan-freakin-tastic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended