Nintendo Files Patent for Controller [NX Rumor?]

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why do people even bother to mention it's like a wiiu controller? Can we please assume our fellow tempers aren't blind or living under a rock?

The scroll thing on the back seems too much trouble. Like for example, CoD uses X or Y (depending on layout) to change weapons. We probsbly have to use the scroll thing now, and this will just be too hard. Make sure you don't push down too hard or you might accidently switch weapons while in a close up match.
FYI: PC users use a "scroll thing" to change weapons in shooters for over a decade. You want to tell roughly an entire generation that their scroll wheel is actually too hard to use?

Last edited by Taleweaver,
Reactions: Margen67

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI: PC users use a "scroll thing" to change weapons in shooters for over a decade. You want to tell roughly an entire generation that their scroll wheel is actually too hard to use?
it depends on the placement. It works quite well on a mouse but I don't think that would be the case on a controller. I don't see it feeling anything but awkward there.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PC users use a "scroll thing" to change weapons in shooters for over a decade. You want to tell roughly an entire generation that their scroll wheel is actually too hard to use?
Oh please. 1-0 is where it's at! :)

Yea, I saw that patent in the OP recently as well. The wheel thing is super awkward looking too. Also, only two face buttons? Why? Now I'm REALLY wondering about this patent...

Last edited by Selim873,

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I think you all are looking at the wrong direction here.
The patent is about the scrolling shoulder button, the rest of the illustration is just for that, to illustrate where would be located and how it would look. but doesn't represent the final product at all. just take a look at patents of launched products and you'll see what I mean.

Anyway... I can see something like a mouse wheel working as a shoulder button, just take your mouse sideways and try to scroll and click the wheel.

Reactions: orcid and KingVamp

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything is going to "kill" the NX is spreading gloom and doom nonsense before the console is even introduce, over patents that may or may not be use. Can't tell if you guys are at least partially joking or really believe that this is going to be anything like the final product.

And no, they aren't going stuff console hardware and a controller into a tablet. Iwata already said brothers. They are not going be the same hardware. The concept of having one device, in any form, just isn't going to happen. The most you can hope for is that the console and handheld share the same game carts.

Last edited by KingVamp,

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I think it is a great idea and would be a great addition to the actual controller layout used in videogames since the SNES/PSX. This is maybe the best and useful idea since the analog sticks and the shoulder buttons.
I agree with Sakitoshi that there is too much discussion about the NX and the two buttons in this thread.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people even bother to mention it's like a wiiu controller? Can we please assume our fellow tempers aren't blind or living under a rock?

PC games don't use a scroll thing to shoot, they use right click to scope and left click to shoot.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
PC games don't use a scroll thing to shoot, they use right click to scope and left click to shoot.
Indeed they don't. Read your own post and mine again, will you? I can assume you didn't exactly wrote down what you meant to say, which I can understand. But please don't make it sound like I'm saying something I never said.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously. The thing is a mouse has 3 buttons: Change weapon (MMB), scope (LC), and shoot (RC). On this new controller there's only 2 buttons. So one button will have to be shared. If I'm missing something please point it out to me.
He said that a scroll wheel was used to change weapons, you responded as if he said the middle mouse button was to shoot.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed they don't. Read your own post and mine again, will you? I can assume you didn't exactly wrote down what you meant to say, which I can understand. But please don't make it sound like I'm saying something I never said.
He said that a scroll wheel was used to change weapons, you responded as if he said the middle mouse button was to shoot.
Yeah, I responded wrong but I confirmed what I meant here:
The thing is a mouse has 3 buttons: Change weapon (MMB), scope (LC), and shoot (RC). On this new controller there's only 2 buttons. So one button will have to be shared.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I responded wrong but I confirmed what I meant here:
Well anyways, the thing here is that this is merely a patent and not a finished product; it describes an example implementation. The example controller used in describing the patent may only have two buttons, but it is but one possible implementation. There are other implementations expressed that include replacing the wheels with a trackball or touchpad, one-handed controller designs, and other such modifications. The main takeaway from the patent should be the use of these scroll wheels (worth mentioning that they are clickable). Other interesting parts of the patent has to do with the motorized control of the wheels and the previously mentioned possible implementations with a trackball or touchpad.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This images remembered this:
new-wii-u-gamepad-leak-rumor.jpg

Reactions: ComeTurismO

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If anything is going to "kill" the NX is spreading gloom and doom nonsense before the console is even introduce, over patents that may or may not be use.

If it means Nintendo takes another blow then I am OK with that, if only because of the amount of whining that will be caused.

If it means Nintendo takes note, takes a step back and then comes out swinging then I am OK with that.

To that end I think we have a plan with no downsides.

For the record though I am curious to see this shoulder button scroll stuff. The USPTO is still a running joke but the underlying idea covered in the patent is not without merit -- dual sticks is the best non mouse and keyboard method but it is far from perfect there and this could well be an improvement.

Edit. Still having little luck with finding the controller with similar things, however looking through a lot of the remote control plane stuff ( https://www.spektrumrc.com/Content/ProductStatic/SPM6610/images/360/batch_14.jpg ) https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPM6610#li_view360 , and especially the first person video/fpv stuff, then I can not see much hope for Nintendo not having some prior art come their way.
Edit 2.
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM9900
Nice analogue inputs on the shoulders there. I will call it done for now.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it means Nintendo takes another blow then I am OK with that, if only because of the amount of whining that will be caused.
Yes, let's want a hard working company and the people who work there hurt, because of the lols.

If it means Nintendo takes note, takes a step back and then comes out swinging then I am OK with that.
Any real criticism they may take note of, is going be buried under the gloom and doom nonsense said every step of the way.
If anything, it just going to increase the "gamers can't be satisfied" attitude.

Reactions: omegasoul6

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"