Nintendo Ends Miiverse This November In Japan

img_0.jpg
Launched back in 2012 on the WiiU, Nintendo's social network is officially closing down this November 8 in Japan.

After shutting down, accessing Miiverse will have the following error codes 115-5004 for the Wii U and 015-5004 for the 3DS:

errorcode_a.jpg

The over 70 Wii U games and over 20 Nintendo 3DS games that have Miiverse features in Japan will be left feeling empty after the service shuts down, as illustrated in Super Mario Bros. U image below:

miiverse_mario_u_a.jpg

No word if or when Miiverse will be affected in other regions. However, it shouldn't come as a surprise since the Nintendo Switch does not use Miiverse features. Time to move on, I guess.

:arrow: SOURCE

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, no one. Hori may have an official licence to make prepherials, but it's not an official device.

The lack of integrated voice communication system is silly, however.

If Nintendo gives products their gold seal of approval, it necessarily means an idiot somewhere approved Hori's chat system for the Switch and gave it Nintendo's seal of approval.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If Nintendo gives products their gold seal of approval, it necessarily means an idiot somewhere approved Hori's chat system for the Switch and gave it Nintendo's seal of approval.

Ultimately, that's not how it works. Being officially licenced means that Hori get access to use Nintendo's protocols, and in return they have to pay a licence fee. Manufacturers without an official licence have to reverse engineer the hardware.

Last edited by sj33,
Reactions: Deleted User

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ultimately, that's not how it works. Being officially licenced means that Hori get access to use Nintendo's protocols, and in return they have to pay a licence fee. Manufacturers without an official licence have to reverse engineer the hardware.

Well Nintendo says this:

All licensed gaming accessories and peripherals display "Official Nintendo Licensed Product Seal" (picture below) worldwide. This symbol is your assurance that the product has been evaluated and licensed by Nintendo for use with its systems. Licensed merchandise - such as apparel, toys and bedding will also display this symbol.

The bolding is mine.

Source: https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/licensed.jsp

So if Nintendo never tests their licensed products, then that would make them a bunch of liars no?

Last edited by sansnumen,
D

Deleted User

I honestly think that Nintendo felt so slighted at the fact that hackers tore the 3DS's security to shreds that they decided "Hey, if we don't put any apps into the Switch OS, hackers won't be able to hack the Switch."

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Agreed. They are scared of people posting dick pics. Remember what happened to Flipnote?
Hey dont talk like it was right! Look at facebook. Is it worse then your beloved flipnote or miiverse? I dont see people there get banned for nothing (or at least for the same level of nothing)

And about the first comment, that they dont put miiverse on switch because of the hacks on the 3ds, do you think it will be more safe that they put other social networks on the system? You can share screenshots in twitter afaik. Is that more safe?

Last edited by ,

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey dont talk like it was right! Look at facebook. Is it worse then your beloved flipnote or miiverse? I dont see people there get banned for nothing (or at least for the same level of nothing)

And about the first comment, that they dont put miiverse on switch because of the hacks on the 3ds, do you think it will be more safe that they put other social networks on the system? You can share screenshots in twitter afaik. Is that more safe?

The point is that no matter what Nintendo does with the Switch, it is hackable. It is impossible to quash all bugs in code. See Nintendo's thinking is that if they limit the amount of code they write for the Switch OS, it makes it harder to hack the system. And to some extent it's true, because less code means less points of failure within the code. Obviously, Nintendo fucked up with smhax. They failed to learn their lesson from the 3DS OS. Or how about the 3DS bootloader? The code is compact and quite short, but because Nintendo messed up RSA (again), it did not matter. Nintendo's strategy of less is more is not infallible.

Regarding Flipnote, Japan is a very conservative country socially, and so is Nintendo. So when Japanese media caught on to the fact that Japanese kids were basically sexting each other with their 3DS systems, Nintendo freaked and pulled Flipnote.

Reactions: Xzi and Bladexdsl

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
you can barely say anything without the mods there disabling your post
Speak for yourself, I posted my daily dose of 30 obviously hacked Xenoblade screenshots without trouble, and drawings of Gateway products in the "Brick Race" group lasted a week :D

Well Nintendo says this:

All licensed gaming accessories and peripherals display "Official Nintendo Licensed Product Seal" (picture below) worldwide. This symbol is your assurance that the product has been evaluated and licensed by Nintendo for use with its systems. Licensed merchandise - such as apparel, toys and bedding will also display this symbol.

The bolding is mine.

Source: https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/licensed.jsp

So if Nintendo never tests their licensed products, then that would make them a bunch of liars no?
In the American region, it hasn't been a seal "of quality" for over a decade, and then: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...l_progressive,q_80,w_800/18j5a3d7ml34ijpg.jpg

sansnumen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speak for yourself, I posted my daily dose of 30 obviously hacked Xenoblade screenshots without trouble, and drawings of Gateway products in the "Brick Race" group lasted a week :D

In the American region, it hasn't been a seal "of quality" for over a decade, and then: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...l_progressive,q_80,w_800/18j5a3d7ml34ijpg.jpg

I respond with this https://frinkiac.com/gif/S04E01/707...BVkUgSVQgUExVR0dFRCBJTi4KIC1USEFUJ1MgT0tBWS4=

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why do so many people hate Miiverse, out of the 3 major consoles, Nintendo's Miiverse was the cutest and most interesting "community" feature, sure trolls came with the territory, but it was still a wonderful and simple little thing to have
I dislike the most social media stuff (Facebook, Twitter, MySpace [I had to include that :D], ...), but Miiverse was great.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I 100% bet there will be the worst of the worst on closing day. Many, many wangs will be drawn and 0 fux will be given. Get those laughs.
------
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27329

All the Q&A's

"
Why are you shutting down Miiverse?
  • We started the Miiverse service in 2012 along with the launch of the Wii U system because we wanted to provide a space where users could share their feelings about games with each other. Thanks to users'.....drawing of wangs, we're shutting this shit down..."

Last edited by H1B1Esquire,

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Wii U was a massive failure for Nintendo. it's probably not worth the money keeping this service up anymore, even if it's on 3DS (which doesn't have it integrated as much).
More like "not a success" than "a massive failure". It did well considering how odds were against it. Released shortly before two more powerful systems were announced, their main backer (E.A.) jumped ship almost immediately and started what was practically a hate campaign against them, completed games weren't released (again, EA's decision), people like Jimmy Fallon saying the Wii U was an addon to the Wii, and so much more.

Honestly, it most mostly EA's fault. The video I linked only showed like half the shit they pulled. I've never seen a company be so petty.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
why do so many people hate Miiverse, out of the 3 major consoles, Nintendo's Miiverse was the cutest and most interesting "community" feature, sure trolls came with the territory, but it was still a wonderful and simple little thing to have
'Hate' seems a bit much for something like this. I have no interest in this kind of fluff as I just want to play the game, but I'm quite happy to just not use it rather than demand its removal.

Catsinabucket

Permanently Uncertain
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Regarding Flipnote, Japan is a very conservative country socially, and so is Nintendo. So when Japanese media caught on to the fact that Japanese kids were basically sexting each other with their 3DS systems, Nintendo freaked and pulled Flipnote.

Was it Flipnote? I thought it was Nintendo Letter Box / Swapnote? I don't remember anything happening with Flipnote

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: