GameWinner

Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
14.jpg

Just announced a little while ago, Nintendo will be offering NDS games on the Wii U's virtual console.

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/02.html
Via: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/29/nintendo-ds-titles-coming-wii-u-virtual-console/

[prebreak][/prebreak]I did NOT see this coming.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cool, seems like it could work, wii game pad being bottom screen and tv being top, but may be awkward for some game looking back and forth, since game pad will be at least 10 feet away from tv. hopefully it wont look too bad stretched out on tv.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
cool, seems like it could work, wii game pad being bottom screen and tv being top, but may be awkward for some game looking back and forth, since game pad will be at least 10 feet away from tv. hopefully it wont look too bad stretched out on tv.
I'm sure they won't release games in which that could be an issue. All things considered, this is great as long as the prices will be "right" - the setup is perfect for that kind of thing and I can see it working very well.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
This is nice.....but you know, one of the problems with the VC on Wii U is the frequency of new releases each week. The Wii had a lot more VC games (both Nintendo-based and non-Nintendo based devices) at this time in its life. It even had N64 titles from day 1. We need more titles per week. We need N64 VC. We could even use GC VC. And, imo, we need cross-play for those that have both a Wii U and a 3DS. Nintendo is going to be defining games to be NNID-based and not system-based, so why not?

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats kinda neat I guess. I wonder why they wouldnt offer digital downloads of DS games on 3DS as well. And before i get bombarded with stupid, yes I KNOW the 3DS can play DS carts, that doesnt mean that people who prefer full digital (like me) wouldnt mind being able to download his favorite DS games onto his handheld.

either way, I cant say im too excited yet because I have no idea what the price range of these games are gonna be. Nintendo probably isnt going to treat this like virtual console, and If I know them, theyre gonna have full retail price range in mind T_T

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First thoughts, "huh, this is something I didn't expect. What a nice surprise."
Second thought, "Urgh, how am I suppose to play DS games, which I actually bought, on the Wii U?"

That said, I don't want to imagine how awful it'll look when the game is blown up and stretched on the gamepad or the TV.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Didn't see this coming. Hopefully they'll have a 3DS app that will allow you to copy games you already own onto your console.
Yeah, no - don't count on that. :rofl2:

The idea is to draw DS/3DS fans to the Wii U's "double screen" concept and show them that it works very much the same as on their beloved handheld - it's unlikely that Nintendo will forfeit profits. Here's for hoping that the prices will be approachable though - I wouldn't mind playing a couple of my favorite DS games on the big screen... Not that I can't do that right now with a laptop, but the gamepad sort of changes the equation.

Still not going to buy a Wii U just for that, but hey! It's still neato. :)

Reactions: XDel

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's cool and all, but 1) it says sometime in the future, 2) they say there's still a technical hurdle to overcome before they can do it, and 3) the DS has to be the most pirated console in history, and everyone still has theirs. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't see this helping the Wii U as much as they're probably hoping.

Why don't they get some Gamecube on the Wii U's VC, pronto? At $15 a game, Super Mario Sunshine, F-Zero, Metroid Prime, Paper Mario TYD, Killer 7 ... there's a shit-ton of GOLD on the Gamecube. And I'll bet there are fewer 'technical hurdles' involved, too.

Some actual Wii U games, more than the handful currently worth buying, wouldn't hurt either. :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong I love Nintendo and I even love the Wii U .... but Iwata and friends have walked them so far off the path of gaming righteousness it gives me heartburn just thinking about it. Chalk it up to Japanese corporate deference culture I guess, that nobody has had the balls to tell the bosses that this here is some stupid shit:

5icrhbl.jpg

KYsnq2i.jpg

That's gamer repellent right there. Concentrated.

They've chased the casual gamer dollar right off the cliff, because if there's one thing a casual gamer is going to be, it's casual about gaming. One Wii Party game is enough for a casual gamer. One Wii is enough is enough for a casual gamer. etc. etc.

Ugh.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This
Is
Awesome.

I know this wont be a system seller to people who want to play normal wiiu games, but this is exactly what I saw when I was first introduced to the Wii U. I remember thinking "Its like an HD DS. I'm really excited for this.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*reads thread title*

WAT? Well, I didn't see that coming, a pleasant surprise to say the least :D

I hope they add some magnification filters like hq2x or 2xSai

but knowing Nintendo... they won't

I've seen GBA games on the game pad (at least via emulation) and with a basic bilinear filter, it doesn't look that bad, so DS games shouldn't look too worse. In fact, all VC games are filtered on the game pad, just not on the TV for some reason.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, what about games that requires the lid to close to solve puzzles like Phantom Hourglass?

Not every game will be able to make the leap. Those games probably just won't be sold at all.

To be fair, though, not having "Phantom Hourglass" on the service is actually a pretty big plus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1