Nintendo DS terms Glossary

confused-man.jpg
Confused with all of those terms that members use in the NDS section?
This is a glossary for new members to understand terms in this forum by using simple words!

ROM A computer file which contains a copy of the data from a read-only memory chip, often from a video game cartridge, a computer's firmware, or from an arcade game's main board.
[/p]

Flashcart A device which allows you to hack a console that uses cartridges and cannot be softmoded, it is used for homebrew and ROM's
[/p]
Homebrew Unofficial software written for the Nintendo DS by hobbyist programmers, as opposed to software written by a game production company or corporation (using the official development tools from Nintendo).
[/p]
Kernel A bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. It is mostly used to overcome updates that block flashcarts. [/p]

Firmware A the GUI that loads ROM images / homebrew.
[/p]
GUI In hacking terms, a graphical user interface (GUI, sometimes pronounced gooey,) is a type of user interface that allows users to interact with electronic devices with images rather than text commands.
[/p]
Patch In DS hacking terms, a fix for ROM's, mostly used to pass Anti-Piracy.
[/p]
Anti-Piracy In hacking terms, not allowing a ROM image to load.
[/p]

Moonshell A homebrew multimedia player for the Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS lite and Nintendo DSi dual-screen handheld videogame systems. It is a well known piece of Nintendo DS homebrew software, and offers a way to play videos and audio on the DS, along with other homebrew games.
[/p]

Brick In flashcart terms, a flashcart that doesn't support the DSi system because it was updated, and it useless as a brick. This can be fixed if a special .nds update will be run on the flashcart from a original DS/DS lite or a DSi that wasn't updated yet.[/p]

Dump A method of backing up an original cartridge to a PC.[/p]

WOOD R4 An unofficial firmware that is used on real R4's or 1:1 clones. There are some carts that have there own WOOD R4 firmware: R4i DSN, R4i Gold, R4i Gold 3DS and R4i-pro gold.[/p]

akAIO An unofficial firmware for the Acekard. Based on the open sourced Acekard R.P.G firmware.[/p]

WAIO An acronym of "Wood-All-In-One". An unofficial firmware that works on most R4 clones, but development is dead at this moment. [/p]

R4 clone A flashcart that is hardware-based on another flashcart, like "R4i Ultra", "R4i Gold". Most clones don't have any support at all, sometimes the "official" website doesn't even give the firmware or kernel.[/p]

1:1 clone A clone of the original R4 DS that can use WOOD R4 as default firmware. 1:1 clones of the R4 DS work only on the NDS PHAT and NDS Lite. Note that "R4i DSN", "R4i Gold" and "R4i-pro gold" are not 1:1 clones.[/p]

More to be added soon!
biggrin.gif

Reactions: DigitalDesignDude

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The kernel and firmware definition seems swapped.
unsure.gif

Firmware update mean hardware based update
Kernel update mean software based update
AFAIK

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
May I suggest you put them in alphabetical order? Should be easier to find a specific term like that.

Mbmax said:
And wikipedia is talking about flashcarts ?
Firmware and kernel are unrelated to flashcarts.
well, so why this topic is posted in the nds section then if it can't be also related to flashcarts ?

I suggest AlanJohn to precise a little about those 2 words because they doesn't mean the same thing when you talk about a flashcart.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Mbmax said:
tj_cool said:
May I suggest you put them in alphabetical order? Should be easier to find a specific term like that.

Mbmax said:
And wikipedia is talking about flashcarts ?
Firmware and kernel are unrelated to flashcarts.
well, so why this topic is posted in the nds section then if it can't be also related to flashcarts ?

because the term is used when talking about flashcarts.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Mbmax said:
Well, so why this topic is posted in the nds section then ?
I meant to say: Firmware and Kernel are used in many other things than "just" flashcarts. So Wikipedia can easily have articles on them that have no relation to flashcarts.

It's in the NDS section because it's an NDS glossary, and Firmware and Kernel also do apply there.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
AlanJohn said:
This is a glossary for new members to understand terms in this forum by using simple words.

ROM A computer file which contains a copy of the data from a read-only memory chip, often from a video game cartridge, a computer's firmware, or from an arcade game's main board.
[/p]

i see most, if not, all of the wording is from wikipedia
rolleyes.gif

AlanJohn

くたばれ
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Dter ic said:
AlanJohn said:
This is a glossary for new members to understand terms in this forum by using simple words.

[/p]

i see most, if not, all of the wording is from wikipedia
rolleyes.gif
I didn't know what ROM stands for before I made this thread
huh.gif

Most of it isn't from wikipedia.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
KingdomBlade said:
AlanJohn said:
KingdomBlade said:
gifi4 said:
This was made before, I can't remember who by, but it was pretty extensive.
http://gbatemp.net/t34130-ds-emulation-terms
Did you read those big words?
THIS GUIDE IS NO LONGER UP TO DATE.

But this one is.
Never said anything. gifi4 simply said "I recall someone making it before." and I pointed it out for him. That simple.
No, there was a recent one, sometime within 6 months to a year.

I also just found this on the wiki: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/NDS_Glossary

edit 2: Just found what I was originally talking about: http://gbatemp.net/t260895-nintendo-ds-jargon-dictionary

I haven't checked all of it so it may not be up to date but it covers heaps as it is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1